Care more about inanimate objects than people

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mj1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

Is it normal for people with AS to care more about inanimate objects than people? Like if an Aspie was in a car accident, would they care (and would it be normal) more about their personal belongings that were damaged than the other people in the accident?

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 10:15 am

Do music tracks count as object too?

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

I do care more about my stuff and relate to inanimate objects more than people-stuffed animals too

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:15 am

Stuff is stuff. Objects can be replaced easily. People can never be replaced. People are one of a kind. Even one of a kind objects are still objects. I care more about people than stuff.

Granted, I do care more about my stuff than I do about a stranger, but if it were a choice between my stuff being harmed or a stranger being harmed, I'd say take the stuff.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

PurpleOctober
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

I don't know that I care MORE about inanimate objects than people like my family or few close friends, for instance. However, I do tend to "love" inanimate objects (especially stuffed animals) far more easily than I even connect with other people.

AQ Score: 42

Aspie Quiz: 178/200

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:44 am

PurpleOctober wrote:
I don't know that I care MORE about inanimate objects than people like my family or few close friends, for instance. However, I do tend to "love" inanimate objects (especially stuffed animals) far more easily than I even connect with other people.

They are always there for me and they do not criticize me everytime I turn around.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

I care about my cat more than I care about most people, if that counts.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm

mj1 wrote:
Is it normal for people with AS to care more about inanimate objects than people? Like if an Aspie was in a car accident, would they care (and would it be normal) more about their personal belongings that were damaged than the other people in the accident?

There are very few people I have any feelings for one way or the other. Actually, I use this to my advantage. I find I can treat people better when I'm not emotionally involved. Love can too easily turn to hate, and like to dislike--or vice versa.

I think this is very important. Since I'm not charming, the one thing I can do is to treat others well. It's a matter of being respected when I can't be liked.

As far as inanimate objects go, if I have something it's because I need it, and hence it is more important to me than people I don't even know. It's all about taking care of myself so I'm not a burden to others.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:03 pm

I wouldn't say I care more about objects, but I care about them as equally as I do people.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:07 pm

I don't think that has to do with AS, just materialism. Some aspies are materialistic, while some aren't.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:12 pm

As a general rule I care more about animals and things, than people. No animal, or thing has ever done, or planned to do to me, what people have! This includes among other things, being the victim of theft, fraud, harassment, and having been beaten, chained, caged, drugged, and much, MUCH more! For this reason, I rank people at the bottom of my care about list. Too, this is why I am a supporter of the VHEMT (Voluntary Human Extinction Movement). Point made?

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

lonerespite
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

on an interview for a course in documentary film-making (which i had initially thought was a cultural studies course), i blurted out that i prefer taking photographs of objects than people, i told them that the whole idea of capturing someone while they are aware of it does not make that much sense to me, though actually im not really comfortable dealing with people while taking pics cause i can never know what to say, or how to manage them, objects just make more sense to me, i can manipulate them better. well that got me rejected. but yeah generally im more at home with the things around me, more peaceful it is...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:00 pm

In every object I seem to see a ''soul''. If I hear someone complaining about an object, I picture the object in my mind and see ''hurt feelings'' on the object. It gives a ''hey what have I done to you?'' expression. And if somebody wants to throw an object across the room, the poor object can't stop them, then will be broken. And the object is probably screaming out, ''hey, I wasn't manufactered for that! Show a little respect, please!''

I know most children see a ''soul'' in some objects, mostly things like teddies or other toys that have eyes. I remember when my cousin was 3 he had a big tantrum when his mother put his teddy in the washing-machine, and wouldn't get over it for hours. That's typical. :roll: :D But somehow I haven't grew out of this. Although I wouldn't throw a tantrum over something like this, I would still become hesitant if I went to throw one of my teddies in the washing-machine, and then run off to do something to take my mind off of it while he's in the washing-machine. :D

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:30 pm

I do too sometimes.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 3:29 pm

I often use objects to "find" affection for people. Handmade and folkish objects attract me because I can sense the maker working on them and can appreciate their skill or empathize with their mistakes. The maker in person would be far too complex for me to deal with, however, so I prefer the little bit of him or her I see in the object.

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2012, 6:02 pm

I definitely don't care more about stuff than I do about people... but it might appear the opposite, as I get very, VERY upset if something happens to my stuff while I usually don't get upset/sad/angry/whatever about people.

My opinion is that the difference between the two instances lies in the boundary of the self, and the concept of belonging or possession. My things belong to me, while my friends or relatives don't.

My things and personal space are some sort of "extension" of my self, so, while I don't really care about the things per se, I do care about the exclusive right to use and dispose of them. Violating that right is, for me, close to not considering me as a distinct and worthy human being.

If someone hurts a person I care about, or this person is taken away from me for some reason, I don't have the same reaction, because it has nothing to do with my sense of self. I might be worried, or disappointed, or even sad, but certainly not angry or threatened.