yes 84%  84%  [ 48 ]
no 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
I like to press zi button 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 57

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 11:14 am

The link between AS and Depression is so clear it might as well be a diagnostic criteria. Being a social outcast by nature, the ability to look at life in an open minded way, and the often blunted ASD emotions often lead to depression. But I was wondering what the numbers are: How many people here struggle with depression of some form. I'd be surprised if less that 80% say "yes" :tongue:

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 11:31 am

ryan93 wrote:
The link between AS and Depression is so clear it might as well be a diagnostic criteria.

As long as it's not a required diagnostic criteria. Some of us aren't prone to depression. In fact, this has made me wonder if I have AS, but I think some of us just got lucky lifewise.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 11:34 am

I have and still suffer from severe depression. Not fun at all.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 11:52 am

I'm on 3 different antidepressants.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 11:58 am

Quote:
As long as it's not a required diagnostic criteria. Some of us aren't prone to depression. In fact, this has made me wonder if I have AS, but I think some of us just got lucky lifewise.

not a required one, but it's possible it's an Autistic trait: Depression seems so intricately linked to ASD's that it must be more than a coincidence.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:29 pm

I'm really sad and angry all the time. It doesn't always show because I can't be spazzing 24/7 but I'm not doing too good right now.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 12:47 pm

Yss.

I think that things would be better if I learned to cope with the isolation better.

Perhaps reminding myself that I don't require a million friends to be happy and just generally taking the pressure off of myself.

My learning to be happy being alone for months at a time would be helpful too.

Also not feeling sad or angry if I never get invited to anything and just say "So what?" and enjoy my own company.

Also not agonising about the past and just accepting that I might in fact be happier without forced interactions.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

18 May 2009, 12:56 pm

Yup, me too.

I've found (after actually getting diagnosed, about six years ago, although I'm pretty sure I actually had it as far back as my teens) that what affects it most is how far I'm trying to deny my 'differentness'. The more I try to suppress who I naturally am in order to 'fit in', the worse I end up feeling. And being forced to be around large numbers of people, day in, day out (as I used to in the previous job that sparked the last bad episode) does bad things to my brain chemistry. Meds helped, but rejuggling my life helped more.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:19 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
The more I try to suppress who I naturally am in order to 'fit in', the worse I end up feeling.

Exactly.

Same here.

All I ever wanted to do was to casually get to know people and help as and when on a one to one basis.
Doing my own job alone.

Then there was all of this enforced:
"You must be able to actively network and be able to work in teams of a million people or you will fail a grade/lose your job..." :roll:

This isn't my style.
I discovered that the hard way.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:36 pm

depression is supposed to be a lot less common in Auties [classic autism] than in Aspies,due to not being affected as strongly,if at all by the same pressures as Aspies,but am also not entirely believing the difference is as big as it gets made out to be,due to the fact they cannot assume an Autie does not have depression,just because are not able to show it,understand it or communicate it,that doesn't mean it's not there.

Some people do not believe profound autistics can have depression,but that is judging it on not being able to know the autist has it,am live with one profoundly autistic lady who is said to have depression but its took them years to rule out other things and realise that no one is immune from it.

Am do not have depression,but can get suicidal thoughts-can have a great day but might get suicidal thoughts which replay as mental echolalia though put that down to the very poor quality of life and nasty staff have to put up with.
Am start each day as new,so no thoughts gets passed over,unless it's long term extremely bad.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2009, 1:37 pm

not gonna lie i get a little depressed when i see threads like this...especially because i don't think the poll is an accurate representation of who out there with aspies are actually depressed...feel like more people who are would join a thread that talks about how they are than aren't.

Not to say that i haven't been at least a little bit depressed lately but I've definitely been making it larger by reading stats up on depression and aspergers and on wikipedia it say 65% comorbid condition occurs in those with as, in other research online it says 30% and in tony attwoods book it says 15%.

I think this could be one of those things where we choose our own happiness but somehow we first have to stop caring what ALMOST EVERYONE thinks.....which is darn right near impossible...

RoadScholar
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2009, 1:38 pm

I put my vote in the (qualified) "Yes" box. I've suffered from depression for a long time and was once diagnosed as having major depression. However, I only recently was dx'ed with Aspergers and ADHD. As many report, I felt unexpected relief knowing the diagnosis. I had taken all antidepressants of every stripe, but none made the positive difference that Adderall has. Also, knowing I have AS lets me identify what my pitfalls are and how to fix them - as well as my strengths and how to use them.

When I look back on it, I can see much of my depression came out of the frustration and hopelessness I felt. I had a hard time fitting in as well as finishing tasks and following through. While I was never suicidal, I found myself saying "To Hell with it," and sabotaging myself. That cost me a plum job and almost cost me my family. I'm not saying I'm on Easy Street now. Far from it. But, having the tools and understanding now, I've found my depression symptoms are far less.

My therapy is now oriented toward dealing with ADHD and AS and not so much on my depression. I say my "Yes" is qualified since I question whether I had bona fide clinical depression as a comorbid condition that was helped by treatment for AS/ADHD, or whether it was a result of my AS/ADHD. Either way, I've made significant progress and my quality of life has dramatically improved, and that is what counts to me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 1:57 pm

My depression stems from having a rigid/perfectionist/obsessive nature more than anything. I don't handle disappointments or flies in the ointment at all. As I aged I started to damp down my enthusiasm and obsessiveness in an attempt to avoid disappointment. That approach backfired and left quite a void to fill. General low self-esteem drains me as well.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 2:05 pm

I've never suffered from anything I would call depression.

philosopher
Raven
Raven

18 May 2009, 2:56 pm

It seems to me illogical not to be depressed some of the time wether aspie or nt.We are born into a world that is in denial.No one wants to speak about anything in case they are singled out conformity seems the best policy why are most towns filled with churches bars crack dens gyms and malls full of things we don't need.Loneliness is terrible but dont assume that having loads of cards on your birthday means you are not lonely perhaps we are all lonely deluded that there is any difference between us.Friends are fairwether as long as you are low maintenence thats ok speak about how you feel thats a no no.
There is a light and it never goes out.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 3:13 pm

Still do. I was diagnosed as Major Depression - with meds it's reduced to Dysthemia level.