Page 4 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 2:03 pm

Last edited by Lillikoi on 04 Apr 2017, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 2:04 pm

Mikeman: Ohh, god. :oops: Yeh, I'm already up to Day 250 right now, but I'm writing each day as I play Pokemon Moon, so it's not very fleshed out. :lol:

I wanted to depict the storyline of Sun and Moon through their diary entries as it goes on, but I'm not sure how to do that. 8O

Right now all I have is a really boring summary.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 2:06 pm

An example wrote:
Day 115
Delivered the Masked Royal's mask to Kukui in Malie Garden.

Ran into Guzma, the boss of Team Skull, and battled him. He was scary. Does he know Professor Kukui? It seems like they've got some history together.

Anyway, Valeria aced that battle. Woo-hoo! Go, me! That Disguise ability sure comes in handy. 8)

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 3:15 pm

That kind of reminds me of the time I tried to write a book. I gave up pretty quickly but it is where I first coined the term "Hyperion engine" and the main character was the first version of what later became Michael Watt.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 2:38 am

describe the hyperion engine.

inquiring parties want to know.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 7:32 am

Well, there is the real Hyperion engine... :jester:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/disney-explains-its-powerful-new-hyperion-rendering-engine-117152.html

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
describe the hyperion engine.

inquiring parties want to know.

It's a type of space propulsion system in my science fiction universe that's basically similar to an ion engine as in it uses ionized noble gas nuclei accelerated by electromagnetism but it also works like a coilgun in that it has a multi stage exhaust acceleration process and it fires in rapid pulses. I don't even know if the design is practical in real life but I've come up with how these engines work in a lot of detail and in theory if they were provided sufficient energy from something like a fusion reactor (which exists in that universe) then they could be some very efficient and reasonably powerful engines for interplanetary travel. They don't work in atmosphere though and their relatively low thrust makes them impractical for landing on atmosphereless bodies like the Moon, so chemichal rockets still have their place.

Lillikoi wrote:

8O :lol:
OK, that's interesting. I might have to start calling them "Hyperion drives" now.

Deviant Art

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 3:22 pm

Hyperion is an old Greek god of light.

Also, Lilli, what an awesome idea, about Pokemon Sun/Moon. 8)

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 5:05 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:

That's part of why I chose the name, it's kind of a double entendre. A lot of space related stuff is named after Greek and roman mythology (most notably the planets) and also it sounds a lot like hyper-ion as in an ion engine that's extra energetic.

Deviant Art

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 5:15 pm

^A hyper-ion. Neat. The funny thing is, ion in Greek means violet.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 5:41 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:

Also, Lilli, what an awesome idea, about Pokemon Sun/Moon. 8)

I can send you a link to what I have, if you want.

It's unfinished and out of order,
and some parts are in need of elaboration, but I've got a good deal done. 8)

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 5:41 pm

^Sure, that would be great. :)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 12:42 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
It's a type of space propulsion system in my science fiction universe that's basically similar to an ion engine as in it uses ionized noble gas nuclei accelerated by electromagnetism but it also works like a coilgun in that it has a multi stage exhaust acceleration process and it fires in rapid pulses. I don't even know if the design is practical in real life but I've come up with how these engines work in a lot of detail and in theory if they were provided sufficient energy from something like a fusion reactor (which exists in that universe) then they could be some very efficient and reasonably powerful engines for interplanetary travel. They don't work in atmosphere though and their relatively low thrust makes them impractical for landing on atmosphereless bodies like the Moon, so chemichal rockets still have their place.

well, who said things have to be practical to warrant their creation? 8)

thanks for the detail, but i'm afraid that's all a bit lost on me :P no worries though, i am met with the same response when i go all "bio nerd" on others...or initiate car geek mode...

who uses these types of engines, i wonder? are they exclusive only to the highest echelons of society and fat cat researchers, or are they available commercially and cheaply?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 3:29 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
well, who said things have to be practical to warrant their creation? 8)

thanks for the detail, but i'm afraid that's all a bit lost on me :P no worries though, i am met with the same response when i go all "bio nerd" on others...or initiate car geek mode...

who uses these types of engines, i wonder? are they exclusive only to the highest echelons of society and fat cat researchers, or are they available commercially and cheaply?

Well, at least I didn't refer to ion engines with their full scientific name; magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters. I'll admit, I may have been slightly showing off. :lol: :oops:

But yeah, how they work aside effectively Hyperion drives are the engine of choice when moving stuff between planets but they are useless for interstellar travel because it would take way too long and they are useless for launching stuff into space because they don't have enough thrust.

How accessible depends on what time period we are talking about because I've done RP's from multiple different time periods in that universe. When they were first invented in the 2030's they were used just by organizations like NASA and a few large corporations like MegaWatt, once serious competition for asteroid mining started happening and what would later be known as the Great Solar War started various militaries started using them, as space tourism grew among the chaos wealthy civilians started flying to space and colonists were sent to the Moon and Mars, eventually the earliest civilian orbital ships were created but they didn't include Hyperion engines for another few years, and in the late 2050's when the first interstellar mission is launched about 6-7% of the human population lives off Earth and small interplanetary ships are about as accessible as private jets are now. That has got to be one of the longest sentences ever but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Deviant Art

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Apr 2017, 4:25 am

Mikeman, I think you should persevere with your book - don't give up on it! Writing is hard work but very satisfying - I'm not talking about financially rewarding but emotionally satisfying.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 6:33 am

*appreciates Lillikoi*