Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2016, 3:29 pm

I am wondering what others have found to be the hardest parts of living away from parents if you have, and what did you do to cope with them? Particurly how autism or aspergers can come into play.
I ask because for my third year of University I've made the choice to live away from home for real this time. My first year I did not stick out moving away because of noisy housemates, the shock of doing self independent things like cooking and the anxiety not knowing when people were coming back, things like that.

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2016, 5:00 am

When I went off to college, the hardest part for me was getting restful sleep because of all the noise at all hours in the dorm. Finding a quiet place to study wasn't hard, I just went to the campus library. I ate all my meals on campus. Sleep was the hardest problem for me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 9:29 am

My collegiate experiences living away were pretty much the same in that regard. I would add the smells of marijuana and other drugs.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 3:34 pm

I live alone and I still haven't figured out how to make sure I have enough food on holidays, when shops are closed, and/a varied diet.
Plus, my flat is a constant mess.
But apart from that, you'll learn how to do things. Just... The timing might be a bit off.
Which is how I run out of food sometimes.

It's something you need to do though to find out how to find out how to live (no, not a typo).