Page 6 of 6 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2016, 6:56 am

I like hand flapping - it feels like a bodily pressure release valve to me. However, if I find myself doing it in public I do get embarrassed. The last time it happened I was very unwell (my gut stopped working) and waiting to be admitted to hospital. People kept staring at me which I hate. What I tend to do when I'm not too stressed is to turn it into tapping out a rhythm on my thighs. This is more socially acceptable I think, so long as it's not too loud and I'm not in church or in the cinema or in the library. (Plus it cant' go on too long or people get annoyed.) It really helps me to have a more acceptable outlet for the flapping feeling.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2016, 6:40 am

None. Never. With all the interesting facial tics I have, I have no need of such practices.

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2016, 6:52 am

Still do when I'm too happily excited and sometimes when anxiously or impatiently anticipating something.

searsdp04
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2017, 9:10 pm

When I'm really happy and or really tired. Especially when I'm really happy it feels like I'm releasing a pressure valve. It feels good!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:47 am

I do a little bit of hand flapping when I'm very stressed. My usual form of stimming is to play with my hair (when in private). I've done it since early childhood. I know it's really weird but it seems to calm me down.