Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DeadOperaStar
Raven
Raven

27 May 2017, 2:42 pm

well, there's certainly nothing wrong with looking for poetry that includes a narrative if that helps you focus. beowulf, the norse/icelandic sagas, epic greek poetry.. that sounds like a very enriching curriculum if you're looking to include it for your students.
not every style of poetry is for everyone. i'm not sure you need to teach yourself to appreciate it. perhaps it's just not for you. no shame in that, i'd say.

beeker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2017, 7:02 am

One of my favourites. It has been stuck in my head since my son was born a month ago.

Good Bones
By Maggie Smith

Life is short, though I keep this from my children.
Life is short, and I’ve shortened mine
in a thousand delicious, ill-advised ways,
a thousand deliciously ill-advised ways
I’ll keep from my children. The world is at least
fifty percent terrible, and that’s a conservative
estimate, though I keep this from my children.
For every bird there is a stone thrown at a bird.
For every loved child, a child broken, bagged,
sunk in a lake. Life is short and the world
is at least half terrible, and for every kind
stranger, there is one who would break you,
though I keep this from my children. I am trying
to sell them the world. Any decent realtor,
walking you through a real s**thole, chirps on
about good bones: This place could be beautiful,
right? You could make this place beautiful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 8:42 am

I like many different types of poetry.

Even "slam poetry" can be decent---though I don't like the method of delivery.

Micheal100
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Apr 2020, 2:13 pm

Aimee529 wrote:
I am such a visual person I just don't like "word art" (aka poetry topics), but sometimes I wish I did. Poems that tell a story are the easiest ones for me to get because I can visualize the story in my head. Do any of you like poetry? Can you teach yourself to appreciate it more? Any ideas on how to do that? (I am an aspie homeschooling 2 aspies so that why this came up)

Poetry should surprise by a fine excess and not by singularity—it should strike the reader as a wording of his own highest thoughts, and appear almost a remembrance.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 9:42 pm

Aimee529 wrote:
I am such a visual person I just don't like "word art" (aka poetry), but sometimes I wish I did. Poems that tell a story are the easiest ones for me to get because I can visualize the story in my head. Do any of you like poetry? Can you teach yourself to appreciate it more? Any ideas on how to do that? (I am an aspie homeschooling 2 aspies so that why this came up)

Find poetry with more appealing subject matter. I started appreciating it a lot more when I started finding more lyrical emcees, because when every single bar forces you to pause and figure out what is meant, it starts to make it more intellectually stimulating and then as your familiarity with tropes and cliches improves you start getting better at interpreting without having to stop or look things up.

Once I realized I understood most of the wordplays, similes and metaphors I decided I should start writing my own now that I get it and suddenly I've got more bars than entertainment districts and since I'm always spitting some sick s**t you should probably get with it. :ninja: :clown:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 May 2020, 7:06 pm

Aimee529 wrote:
I am such a visual person I just don't like "word art" (aka poetry), but sometimes I wish I did.
I'm very much an auditory thinker & I'm not into poetry at all. I don't really wish I liked it thou. It's just something that I'm not into & I'm OK with that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 7:54 pm

Yes.

Finding I could process some of the awkward emotional stuff by writing poetry was something I regard as a great step forward in growing up as an adult.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 8:22 pm

If he ain't got a car he get caught a'þe bus stop;
no need to hesitate, lick shots when þe bus stop
slugs hi'þe roof an' rip ðrough þe bus top
caught 'im in þe dome an' leave 'im wið a bust top

:lol:

I like when one can incorporate long strings of multi-syllabic rhymes and creative wordplays on top of just having long strings of words with similar stress patterns with a simple rhyme in the terminal position.

Bear wið my elimination of þe th diagraph, I've been paying too much attention to þe difference between voiced and voiceless dental frictives. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 12:32 am

Personally, I never understood poetry. This may be on account of AS/HFA - that is difficulties understanding content which expresses human emotion. I may also be biased; in that poetry is the worst-means for writers to earn money. The Autism Spectrum can be characterized by understanding content too literally. Understanding poetry might be seen as those opposites of literal interpretations - hence opportunities to lose track of what poetry is being said/recited.

The example of poetry that slightly piques my interest is Meta-poetry; that is self-aware poetry about poetry and /or writing poetry.

Examples enclosed: https://mseffie.com/assignments/poem-a- ... oetry.html

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2020, 1:09 am

I think I'm have gone insane;
My brain ain't been the same after I f****d with Tame One.
If you think I'm rap Marilyn Manson you should send the thank letter to Mrs. Hanson

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ptx64
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jun 2020, 1:00 pm

Mostly not.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 8:51 am

I'm one of those aspies who don't naturally think verbally.

Patterns, rhymes, counting, puns even -- OK!

Contexts, 'common symbols/drama/bleeding/vibe/etc', evoking imagery -- OK! For most part.

Between the lines, innuendo, etc... -- Unknown. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

Slangs, certain terminologies -- It takes some study (if I could even integrate it) before clearing things up from a bunch of noise-words to something a bit coherent...

Niche or less inclusive forms of References (like to references from certain media) -- That's when I start to fall really short...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.