Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

markie12272
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2018, 3:12 am

Hi guys.
Just needing some feedback on rough statistics or some feedback on my tendicies to give myself 3rd degree burns on my arms when having meltdowns.
Is this typical or is my doc right and its a maladaptive coping technique.
all i know is it that it works better than any of the countless medications they keep pushing me to try.
Any advice appreciated

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2018, 4:51 am

I self harm as well during meltdowns. Like you, I find it to be the most effective method of calming myself down, but it's obviously very unhealthy.
The worst part about it is that it can escalate to much worse self harming behaviour. I have a tendency to slap myself in the face, which isn't too dangerous. But at one point I used to scratch my arms until they bled, which could've caused really bad infections. Once it got so bad that I got really strong suicidal impulses during meltdowns, and I had to be hospitalized because I really needed to be looked after.
So, I really try to use other methods to get myself out of the meltdowns.
Something that works very well for me is to play my harmonica. It keeps my hands and mind busy, and my breathing controlled.
I have a few stimming-toys that can help in calming me down before a meltdown escalates. Stress-balls, slime and a small bag of glass marbles are my favourites.
I know that some people can channel it onto physical activity - pushups or jumping jacks or whatever- which seems very logical. It doesn't always work for me though. Sometimes running solves it - I just grab my shoes and spurt until I can't anymore. That works sometimes, but sometimes it has the opposite effect, because when the body has no energy left, it's as if the mind has free passage, and the meltdown gets even bigger and more exhausting. But hey, if it works for others, there's no harm in trying it at least once.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 11:09 pm

I've always bit and chewed my right hand during meltdowns, till I developed a very noticeable callous.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 1:00 pm

It is most likely maladaptive. During a meltdown one lacks control so it could be easy to burn yourself to a degree that does permenent damage. If you are able to throw out the thing you are burning yourself with that would be good.

If you can find another coping technique that does not involve medication and does involve non harmful repetitive body movements that would be good. You probably will have to try a number of techniqies before you find something that works for you. They do sell soothing objects for autistics online.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 5:28 pm

Can you think of a less harming alternative? Like using ice instead?

shadowself
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 5:18 pm

I have done very little self-harming in the form of self-injury, and only burned myself a few times, but I did used to drink a lot when my unstable emotions overwhelmed me, or when I felt trapped, and alcohol is at least as destructive and deadly in so many ways.

Third degree burns are really serious, prone to infection, and rarely heal without scarring even if very small. Perhaps at every meltdown you could start with something new you haven't tried, like some of the suggestions above, and save burns for a last resort. I would tell you not to burn or cut yourself or harm yourself at all, but having done so a few times myself I know that is a pointless thing to say without offering an effective alternative.

I can really understand wanting to avoid meds though. I have increased my general well-being and had a LOT fewer meltdowns and suicidal feelings by getting some health building routines going. My routines are not even very well maintained and they still help. I excercise twice weekly at the gym for about an hour, sometimes a bit more, walk frequently in nearby parks(especially the really quiet ones), and I eat better than ever with more greens and a wider variety of proteins as well as eating less sugar and starch and avoiding some food sensitivities that I did not know I had. My sensitivities are mostly related to stale, rancid oils that are used in most pre-packaged foods - especially Sunflower and Safflower oil which oxidize quickly and promote inflammation - and also certain food additives that can deplete nutrients from the body. Many food preservatives deplete vitamins and minerals.

I can suggest one thing that can help almost anyone. Make an effort to buy the best quality of meat you can if you eat meat, and to get things that are definitely raised hormone free. Some companies label things in a clever way to say something like "No Hormones Or Antibiotics Added Ever", without stating that they mean 'No Hormones or Antibiotics Added After Slaughter' but maybe before, because "Never Added" has a different meaning to the FDA than "Hormone and Antibiotic Free", much like the difference between "All Natural" and "Organically Grown". Celery growing in a big field treated with every pesticide on earth is still "All Natural" celery from a legal standpoint...... At any rate, if you avoid artificial hormones in your food you will probably see some benefit just in that.

One eye opened slowly, green and gold as sunlight in the woods. The cat said,"I am what I am. I would tell you what you want to know if I could, for you have been kind to me. But I am a cat, and no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer."

vulcanreject
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2018, 6:22 am

Not sure if I am on the spectrum at this point, but when I got that feeling/drive to hurt myself and went into that trance I used to cut myself. Sometimes it was in response to something that had set me off, sometimes it was in response to just an overwhelming impulse to cut, and sometimes it was more ritual than emotionally motivated.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 10:06 am

Self harming is such an easy way out, because it's like any drug (just wears off very fast). What it does is that the brain releases dopamine to compensate for the pain, so you get a rush from it. That's why it's so helpful, and why it easily escalates, becomes addictive, and why you start getting the impulse without a trigger.

That is also why trying to channel it into physical activity can be an option. It takes longer to get there, and the result is a little weaker, but you still get a dopamine-rush.