Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2018, 1:38 pm

Hi all....

I am a 50-year old autistic adult, who was diagnosed on the spectrum over 10 years ago. Currently, I go to the local Infusion Center to get chemo treatments for colon cancer. Halfway there, and Round 5 starts on Tuesday, Feb 27. When I go into the remission phase at the end of April, I will begin a project that shares my experiences of being autistic and having been diagnosed with cancer. I am looking for as many autistic individuals as possible who have been diagnosed with cancer and are either going through chemo/radiation treatments for a form of cancer, are going into remission, or have been told they were healed of cancer. Because I will not be making any money off of this project, I will be unable to give any sort of funding to those who want to be a part of this project. You will be recognized for your contributions to the project, however.

The project will be a small mini-book that I can give in PDF format to autistics who have been just diagnosed with a form of cancer, so they know what to expect and the best ways to get through treatment and go into remission successfully and then what to do to become cured of cancer.

If this sounds like you or someone you know who is autistic and either is going through treatments for a form of cancer, going into remission, or have been cured of cancer, please private message me or email me at [email protected] on how you can be involved with this project. Thanks, Scott

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 7:23 pm

I have had tongue cancer the required removal of half my tongue and its replacement by skin grafts. I did have radiation and low dose chemo.

As you probably understand hospitals and rehab is sensory hell in many ways and constant interruptions. I am glad I was diagnosed before this happened so I was able to mentally prepare and plan coping strategies in advance some of which were Wrong Planet, Books and about my special interests, and fantasizing about being in a different place. As bad as the interruptions were knowing I would be able to get back to my coping mechanisms soon kept me sane.

If I did not have a diagnosis and understand the triggers I would have been in bad bad shape.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 9:51 pm

I am currently in the final stages of Stage IV-B colorecetal (teminal phase) cancer. I am staing in a hospice as a result, and should be gone from here in about a week or two via Elective euthansiaI'm glad Ihave this option because every day now is an excercise in pain and suffering.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 11:34 pm

:o :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 2:33 am

Fogman wrote:
I am currently in the final stages of Stage IV-B colorecetal (teminal phase) cancer. I am staing in a hospice as a result, and should be gone from here in about a week or two via Elective euthansiaI'm glad Ihave this option because every day now is an excercise in pain and suffering.

I am glad you will be allowed to do what you wanted.

Goodbye in advance. Thank you for your insightful 13 years of contributions to readers and members of Wrong Planet.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I have had tongue cancer the required removal of half my tongue and its replacement by skin grafts. I did have radiation and low dose chemo.

As you probably understand hospitals and rehab is sensory hell in many ways and constant interruptions. I am glad I was diagnosed before this happened so I was able to mentally prepare and plan coping strategies in advance some of which were Wrong Planet, Books and about my special interests, and fantasizing about being in a different place. As bad as the interruptions were knowing I would be able to get back to my coping mechanisms soon kept me sane.

If I did not have a diagnosis and understand the triggers I would have been in bad bad shape.

I am grateful and thankful that you were able to find strategies that help you with sensory issues and constant interruptions. I found strategies as well, although a little different than yours, that helped me. For me, it was having and maintaining a positive attitude through the process, following what my onc doctor has said, and going with the flow of constant interruptions. Even being on the autism spectrum, I knew there was nothing I could really do. And my focus is on "short term pain for long term gain". I will be going into remission in late April, so looking forward to it.

Scott

"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm

Fogman wrote:

Hi Fogman... I am sorry to hear what you are going through every day. My wife and I talked about Stage IV the other day before I started Round 5 of 8 (I am Stage III-B). We agreed that if I went into remission and then back in recurrence and I was Stage IV that I would forego chemo and radiation most likely. I can't imagine many scenarios at this point that would be worth my going through chemo AND radiation. I saw what radiation did to my own mom (she was diagnosed Stage IV, lung cancer) and how it weakened her immensely.

I am glad that you have options of being able to choose what will work best for your situation, should you need to cross that bridge.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

GCAspies wrote:
I will be going into remission in late April, so looking forward to it.
Scott

Fantastic news

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2018, 4:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
GCAspies wrote:
Scott

Fantastic news

Thank you. Then looking to conduct a landmark study that could open the doors in the health and wellness area on autistic adults/young adults on the autism/cancer connection in other ways.

Scott

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 10:53 am

GCAspies wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
GCAspies wrote:
Scott

Fantastic news

Thank you. Then looking to conduct a landmark study that could open the doors in the health and wellness area on autistic adults/young adults on the autism/cancer connection in other ways.

Scott

I look forward to the results of that study because I had none of the risk factors for my type of cancer. I am happy this long overdue type of research is bieng done.

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2018, 11:06 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
GCAspies wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
GCAspies wrote:
Scott

Fantastic news

Scott

I look forward to the results of that study because I had none of the risk factors for my type of cancer. I am happy this long overdue type of research is bieng done.

Me too. I didn't have any of the risk factors associated with colon cancer, either. Going to see what happens. Once I get the results of the research, I'll let people know where they can read about the results. Scott