Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2018, 11:09 am

Society expects each and everyone of us to conform to its social rules and norms in order for us to fit in. Society sets certain ages where we are supposed to have certain milestones accomplished by. We are supposed to have our driver's license by 16, move out of our home by 18 and go to college, establish ourselves by our early 20s, lose our virginity before 25 or whatever age society deems as "normal," get married and have kids before we are 30, have that nice house with that white picket fence, and so much other crap. Most of us on here are legging behind our peers in having
certain things mastered by certain ages. I just want to live my life. I don't want to compete. Society makes life out to be this big game that none of us chose to play. None of us chose to be born or play this game that society is making us play. I don't believe in conformity and I think everyone should live their lives as they choose. There should be no rush for anything. No one should be judged how they live their life. Some people may get to these milestones later in life or never at all and that should be ok.

Last edited by MSBKyle on 29 May 2018, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 11:12 am

I recently read that one in eight Brits are Virgins at 26. During my late teens I was overwhelmed by all the pressures and demands now at 29 I haven't been part of society for ten years.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 7:42 pm

We are supposed to have our driver's license by 16 ❌ (got it in my 30's )
move out of our home by 18 ✅ ( I was actually kicked out )
and go to college ✅ ( lasted 3 months )
establish ourselves by our early 20s ❌ ( no idea what this means )
lose our virginity before 25 or whatever age society deems as "normal," ✅
get married ❌
and have kids before we are 30 ✅ ( failed relationship )
have that nice house with that white picket fence, and so much other crap ❌ ( I'll never get on the property ladder )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 12:23 am

Whilst going against the norm is ironically fairly normal now, (perhaps one day destroying the concept of "normalcy" by having nothing be considered normal, or rather have nothing be considered abnormal?) One goal you should definitely have is to eventually get your own place. There are many other less conventional options, but none are really viable.

Live with your parents: Not fun.

Live with a roommate: Also gets old at a certain point, and even if you live with your best friend, you'll eventually start running into issues.

Be homeless: Not fun

Live off the land as a hippie traveler: Even if you're a self sufficient outdoorsman/survivalist, this requires quite a bit of money, and you might realize this isn't as fun as you thought.

Be like the guy who was famous for traveling around staying in hotels and do that: Requires a lot of money, and will run out if you aren't working from a computer.

Or just refuse to be a part of any of this and kill yourself: There's too much a risk of a bad/no afterlife to waste the one you have now.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and saying owning a house is a perfectly reasonable goal.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2018, 6:21 am

We are supposed to have our driver's license by 16 :arrow:
I cant drive cuz of a rare low vision disorder & problems focusing

move out of our home by 18 :arrow:
my mom threatened to kick me out(or similar things) aLOT but I didn't move out till I moved in with my current girlfriend at 30. I cant handle living alone due to my only income being SSDI(& no other benefits or services) & my disabilities cause me to have problems with lots of things so I couldn't really handle living alone even if I didn't have to pay for a place & utilities like I'm not doing now.

and go to college :arrow:
I NEVER had any desire to go to college due to struggling in skewl so much due to my dyslexia & similar learning problems.

establish ourselves by our early 20s :arrow:
I didn't get my 1st job till my early 20s & I was a dish washer. I had nothing else going on in my life the 38 months I was working. I had two other jobs sense & was in-between jobs for half a year.

lose our virginity before 25 or whatever age society deems as "normal :arrow:
I didn't lose mine till I moved in with my current girlfriend at 30.

get married :arrow:
Me & my girlfriend would be married by now but she's disabled too & it would screw up her benefits.

and have kids before we are :arrow:
I'm 35 & I don't have any kids & don't want any. My girlfriend wants em but she cant handle it rite now due to her issues & she may never be ready.

have that nice house with that white picket fence, and so much other crap :arrow:
We live in a townhouse apartment & her Section 8 housing voucher pays most of her rent. The only way we can get a house at this point is if my parents pay for it. Or they die & I inherit there's & other money & sell the house & use the money to buy me & Cass a place here.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 7:05 am

How did you manage to get a GF when you are disabled and on benefits?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2018, 7:23 am

Daniel89 wrote:
She's also disabled & on benefits. She sent me a PM after reading lots of my posts on this forum. She has anxiety & depression along with other stuff & I've been through that stuff before & try my best to be supportive. I was actually kind of seeking out someone with those or other issues cuz I thought someone with something like that could be more understanding & accepting & I also feel being supportive is one of my realtionship strengths.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 6:24 am

You’re really not “supposed” to do that. It’s just what people expect as it’s the most normal.

I feel you at times not doing well in life, struggling and hurting.

But be strong in who you are. I didn’t have consensual sex until I was 24. I have no intention to marry or have children. It’s my life, not theirs.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 8:11 am

Daniel89 wrote:

Dude, I know a guy who went to high school with me who gets a check and has 2 children by 2 different women. Just because a guy gets a check doesn't mean he can't have game. Though his pull out game is obviously weak or else he wouldn't have 2 kids ...

Society is annoying to me. Often times I feel like an alien that inhabits this world.

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2018, 8:53 am

Gee, that seems to be a lot pressure. And what is this "supposed to" nonsense.
Most people get their licence at different times. I got mine ar 18 and my sister still does not have it, she is 38.
Again I lost my virginity at 21 but after high school, who cares, no one knows your sexual activity until you tell them, so dont tell them.
I know lots of people who live at home even today over 40.
Most of the people I went to school with still rent I was one of the lucky ones
You are setilting yourself up

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 1:50 am

I absolutely hate society too. People always bash me because i can't hold a job at all, but the truth is, they're all just a bunch of stupid dipshits who don't know anything or have any idea what people with true mental illnesses go through. people can be really shallow and stupid. that's why i hate being part of this world and co-existing with those idiots.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 2:22 pm

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
I absolutely hate society too. People always bash me because i can't hold a job at all, but the truth is, they're all just a bunch of stupid dipshits who don't know anything or have any idea what people with true mental illnesses go through. people can be really shallow and stupid. that's why i hate being part of this world and co-existing with those idiots.

I’m having similar experiences at the moment. If people had even half a clue they might behave differently.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2018, 5:37 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
I’m having similar experiences at the moment. If people had even half a clue they might behave differently.

it's absolutely true. it's just that the majority of people are really stupid and aren't even able to put themselves into other people's position or even begin to understand what they go through.

it honestly makes me proud of my mental illnesses i have because if that's how a normal mind works, i seriously do not want one.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2018, 7:19 am

hale_bopp wrote:

it's absolutely true. it's just that the majority of people are really stupid and aren't even able to put themselves into other people's position or even begin to understand what they go through.

it honestly makes me proud of my mental illnesses i have because if that's how a normal mind works, i seriously do not want one.

I'm not proud about my health problems, but it's frustrating when people just assume your life must not have other struggles. Do people realise that just because you're trying to cope okay, doesn't mean it's easy for you?

Aspergers. ADD. BPD. Depression. Severe OCD. Severe anxiety. Severe paranoia. PTSD.
Don't even start me on my physical health problems. I've had cancer removed. Arthritis. Heart troubles. Cracked spine.

People whine about one problem they have like it's the worst thing in the world, and it's hard not to give a "b***h, please" face when you hear it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2018, 10:43 am

hale_bopp wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

I'm not proud about my health problems, but it's frustrating when people just assume your life must not have other struggles. Do people realise that just because you're trying to cope okay, doesn't mean it's easy for you?

Aspergers. ADD. BPD. Depression. Severe OCD. Severe anxiety. Severe paranoia. PTSD.
Don't even start me on my physical health problems. I've had cancer removed. Arthritis. Heart troubles. Cracked spine.

People whine about one problem they have like it's the worst thing in the world, and it's hard not to give a "b***h, please" face when you hear it.

Have you found a difference in the way people treat your physical issues compared to your non physical issues?

Aren’t you tired of people telling you that your struggles only make you stronger?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2018, 9:15 pm

Yes. To put it simply, I get sympathy for physical health problems and none for mental health problems.

I got what felt like an unnatural response when people found out about the cancer.

Because I’m so used to being berated and ridiculed for my mental health struggles, it just didn’t seem real.

It was a hell of a lot easier to deal with than my daily hell of what’s going on in my own head.