Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

BruceCM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 4:55 pm

Yeah, I'd like a cure, if you mean for lots of the effects. Unfortunately, to remove the effects you have to get rid of the causes. If those causes are part of who I am & you take those away, I become somebody different. Ergo, no cure. Treatment, maybe? Great idea & I hope there is research into all these things.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 7:06 am

I can't see any reason to believe that a cure is likely or even possible.

The missing link cuts in awful early in life, and everything from there is path dependent. Even if you could replace the missing link, everything from there onwards would be out of balance. Of course, for many of us it's out of balance anyway, but...

The real, immediate and socially possible "cure" is to reduce the absolute dependence of normal social interactions on a physical response pattern that not everyone has. Fix that, and aspies are no longer outsiders. Trouble is, the normals you try and enrol in such a project have first to acknowledge that they're possibly complicit in the most dramatic case of societal racism since Nazi Germany

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 11:22 am

Education is the only cure. It can expose the monster behind the mask of "holier than thou" way of accepting autism. It can also make the aspie realize he is not the the one in hiding, and maybe someday, we wont have to.

There was a time not so long ago when the mention of neurological Anything, was closely associated with barbaric funny farms and the proverbial guys in white suits with a net.
Today, the idea of mental indifference's being talked about in the open is a major change long past due. Society is becoming more open to the idea that our brains are wired as different as our fingerprints, and there is no such thing as a perfect one. Now the problem arises of how to stop the modern day Frankenstein's from trying to create the perfect one.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 10:27 am

I think coping strategies are my only hope. The main one is to keep as far away from the wrong kind of neurotypicals as possible. The right kind don't create a problem.

One reason I don't feel much like trying get cured is that I feel I'm perfectly OK as I am.....I'm capable of doing useful work as long as the conditions are tailored reasonably well towards my traits. Socially I'm adequate as long as the usual conditions of low numbers and reasonable orderliness are met. I've grown used to my eccentricities - for most of my life I haven't known that they were part of AS, and I'm comfortable with most aspects of my personality. I'm too old to want to metamorphosise into a neurotypical and I don't believe in people reinventing themselves.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 7:59 pm

BruceCM wrote:
Yeah, I'd like a cure, if you mean for lots of the effects. Unfortunately, to remove the effects you have to get rid of the causes. If those causes are part of who I am & you take those away, I become somebody different. Ergo, no cure. Treatment, maybe? Great idea & I hope there is research into all these things.

Autism, Asperger's, etc, they are collections of traits. And in some cases, one trait that's part of it is a cause for another trait. But, the thing is, the link isn't always inevitable. Sometimes we can break the link between one trait and another. And some traits, we can choose on using or not those traits, expressing them, using them, in some situations, and not in others. So, we can change some of the effects, without having to change our basic nature.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 8:17 pm

Another things related to this. I really which the psychiatry profession would have the attitude that there are neurological differences that are not themselves disorders, but that these differences can affect our mental health, and are worth noting as part of a plan for improved mental health.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 6:33 am

I have nothing to cure

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 5:27 pm

I'm not broken, so don't fix me.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 2:40 am

I have nothing to be cured of

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 6:03 pm

Eggman wrote:

Yes, so you said two posts up and one month back.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 7:53 pm

Mysty wrote:
Eggman wrote:

Yes, so you said two posts up and one month back.

Actually I typed it, not said it. Boo-yah!

18 Dec 2009, 8:04 pm

No cure for me

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2009, 10:20 pm

@ ToughDiamond:

Quote:
I think coping strategies are my only hope. The main one is to keep as far away from the wrong kind of neurotypicals as possible. The right kind don't create a problem.

Could anyone describe in detail what kinds of NTs give them trouble? I especially avoid folks who don't appear to have any flaws or eccentricities, and who don't smile. Or if they do smile, it looks chilly and fake.

I'd like a cure, if it meant I wouldn't get so painfully anxious around people. You just can't get away from them. 8O Maybe some drug or treatment that elicits the growth of new neurons in the brain? Piracetam is supposed to do that, but it isn't a cure.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 1:30 am

If I would get 1 wish, it would either be a cure or like Majin Buu powers so I could get revenge and reap havoc on the world
or immortality

but there isn't a day in my life where I wish I could be without this horrible, horrible curse
its a disability to me and it plagues my mind
it makes me useless in many ways
and brings nothing good, I don't like being me and would rather not have to
I am never myself, I just can't stand being me

ticktockpop
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2010, 7:53 am

I don't want a cure, seeing as it is who I am, and I do have some very unique qualities, HOWEVER....

Sometimes, having a talent or something you love doing, becomes a responsibility that is too great to bear.

I think if I could choose one thing to "cure" or modify, would have to be this:

I wish I could be happy and satisfied on a day-to-day routine, instead of always being in search of something. I feel like living, in and of itself, is not good enough for me, and so I fear I will never know true happiness.

Or, like I say sometimes to my husband: SOMETIMES, I wish I had no special talents, and so I would not feel like I am betraying these talents when I spend an evening watching TV. Some days, mediocrity would be a boon I would gladly take.

I am too hard on myself, always. It gets tiring. And so does life.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2010, 9:41 am

I do not want a cure.

I have more desirable traits than undesirable ones being both ASD and ADHD.

I do not need any medications.

Also, I have three children who live with me full time and am a single dad and also financially stable.

I live with my ASD/ADHD, not try to use a band aid because what a group of doctors say which is not normal. What is normal is objective to each person. To myself, I am what I consider normal to be - not the normal of what the general population does... So, what many people are like, is abnormal in comparison.