Are you self sufficient?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 168 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 100 ]
Total votes : 268

SpiderJeruz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

I'd say so. I went from a highschool drop-out, criminal to a home-owner, care taker by age 18. I taught myself how to function without the aid or teaching of the public school system. I belive the way the school system is run is backwards. Children mustn't be punished for mistakes, mustn't be coddled like they are. They need to learn from the mistakes on their own and learn how to do things their own way. F' democracy, this world needs pseudo-anarchy. People against that don't give each other enough credit. Do you really think we'd be killing and stealing the moment it was announced that rules weren't in place? Policing, governments... People need to be self sufficient in order to function as a community. I look around and no one helps or cares about their fellow man. It's pitiful that everyone is in their own world as a result of being reliant on the corruption federation. Not to say I'm right, everything is subjective. Simply my opinion on the world today. Especially the US of ass.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2012, 8:21 am

I fought becoming autonomous through my 20s. I am 44 at present. I feared the load on my shoulders that would come with independence. However, what ultimately pushed me forward was the misery of my life at each given stage. Desperately wanting a safe haven but not having the means to create one was the driver for me. There was also the disapproval of society in general; society generally gave me a very unpleasant kick in the crack at specific milestones of my life. I headed out of the home at a late stage (24 yrs approximately). I feared getting married because of the marriage ceremonials. Yes, fear of a one-day ceremony put me off marriage for years. I stayed in student-hood till the age of 27 because I was scared of entering the working world. Basically, I feared change all the way through. As a result I have been dragged into new things in life. My wife drags me out regularly. My kids drag me out every day.

I think what has made me self sufficient is that I always threw myself with all my AS idiosyncrasies into work. I am a workaholic. Whenever I had a relationship problem, I generally chucked myself into study or work to blot out the pain. As a result I have had a number of work-related burnout collapses. However, employers forgive a lot if you work very hard and produce tangible results. So yes, I am self sufficient. Ironically, now that I am comfortable (sort of) in the working world, I don't think I will ever retire. They will have to drag me out of the workplace kicking and screaming. The office is my institution. I wonder sometimes if I am insane, and that what I imagine as the workplace is in fact an institution for mad people. I guess I'll never know for sure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 11:17 pm

i fear that after paying my recent hospital bill i will no longer be self-sufficient. :hmph:

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 2:45 am

My wife and daughter's dentistry bills, so am I. As for my rather ground down teeth, they can disappear and I can then graduate to dentures; my looks are not my fortune after all.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 8:06 pm

I'm 100% self-sufficient, even though I'm soon fired from jobs and spend periods of time on unemployment.

I have no one who might help me, no family or friends, so I have no choice but be completely independent in every sense. I've been since my early twenties, when I moved to the other end of the world.

I have excellent executive functioning, organization, resourcefulness and planning talent. I'm a zero at any kind of human relations.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
As for my rather ground down teeth, they can disappear and I can then graduate to dentures; my looks are not my fortune after all.

you don't want those things, trust me- they almost never fit totally correctly and they make food taste tasteless.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 11:36 pm

Really? Although I am trying to understand how tasteless food would 'taste'? I think I understand, its a non-tasty taste ...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 12:24 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
Really? Although I am trying to understand how tasteless food would 'taste'? I think I understand, its a non-tasty taste ...

blandly pasty. blandly chewy like eating cardboard.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 12:58 am

I've been independent since 18 but self-sufficient is harder to gauge. I think self-sufficient since 29? Before that I lived with roommates and boyfriends. So for the last 7 years I've been on my own and paying my own way and doing all my own chores. My apartment has no "style" but it's clean and tidy and there's always toilet paper and hand soap. None of which could ever be counted on when I co-habitated. I seriously love living by myself!

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2012, 4:16 am

I'll just drown the cardboard in more vinegar and flamethrowers sauce :bom:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 9:06 am

RazorEddie wrote:
I suppose I could be called aggressively self sufficient: 'leave me alone - I can deal with it myself'. I earn a decent wage and have no real trouble supporting myself.

When I was younger, I was hell bent on proving I could do it on my own. As a single mom, I didn't do too bad but I don't miss the stress.
Medical bills are a killer. Especially when you think about how almost half that amount is feeding the bureaucratic waste monsters... :x

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 11:14 pm

No, not yet. I'm living at my house, but I pay rent from my child support (even though I'm 20 I'm still getting child support from my father). It is the reason why my mom can keep the house, but yet I'm not able yet to do enough stuff to be able to live on my own. I think that when I move out, it'll be with my boyfriend, not by myself. I think I would be really scared to be alone.
I don't know if/when I'll be self sufficient. I just get so overwhelmed, so easily. I had such hopes for myself, and now I'm just stuck.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 11:16 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
I'll just drown the cardboard in more vinegar and flamethrowers sauce :bom:

or teriyaki paste and glaze, or onion ketchup - yum :)

Female
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm

I'm a horrible mess of a person. Don't work, bad hygiene, messy room, irritable, and suicidal.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:32 pm

^^^
i hardly feel any better. :hmph:

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:49 pm

cozysweater wrote:
I've been independent since 18 but self-sufficient is harder to gauge. I think self-sufficient since 29? Before that I lived with roommates and boyfriends. So for the last 7 years I've been on my own and paying my own way and doing all my own chores. My apartment has no "style" but it's clean and tidy and there's always toilet paper and hand soap. None of which could ever be counted on when I co-habitated. I seriously love living by myself!

Same here... My place may not be my own house/mortgage yet, but it's a nice apartment and relatively clean & stocked. I hated, HATED room mates and their selfish, rude behaviour. I need my privacy and quiet recharge time... and the freedom to walk around nekkid if I need/want to. ;)