Are you self sufficient?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 168 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 100 ]
Total votes : 268

NeuroDiversity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2012, 2:46 am

I'm 100%+ self sufficient in terms of financial support. In fact, I've created 5 different businesses that effectively support 100s of other people too. I guess I'd have to say I'm 100% self sufficient in every other aspect of life, except emotionally. There is just something missing there and there always has been. My (male) business partners are emotionally supportive. My 11 year old Aspergian son is getting to the age where he can be supportive emotionally sometimes. Likewise, my 8 year old Aspergian daughter is becoming more and more supportive. But I have always dreamed of meeting a woman that would be even just a little bit supportive. I think I can continue to do 90% of it myself if I have to. But there are nights and mornings where I really struggle... I just wish there were someone else there to give me a little support to make things easier.

For some unknown reason that last part has eluded me... and as my 50th birthday approaches next month, I'm beginning to think it will never ever happen.

P.S. If anyone wants help with the financial support aspect of life, please LMK. Somehow I managed to nail that one.
P.S.S. If anyone has advice on how to find emotional support (in a given and take manner) from/with an adult female, I'm all ears. :-)

Official Dx: ASD and ADHD

theglenster
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2012, 10:01 am

ive been self sufficient since i was 19 years old, im 35 now.
im a technical illustrator and moved to hamburg from the UK when i was 19, and have since then lived in düsseldorf, amsterdam, barcelona, ingolstadt and frankfurt.
it has been tough at times but ive got my "life routine" pretty much cracked.

teamnoir
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

I am in pretty much all of the standard metrics. I work, I pay rent, cover my own health insurance, drive, etc, etc.

About the only place I have trouble is in social groups. Work has been becoming an issue. As I age, people have less and less tolerance for my missing social graces. And I have less and less patience for theirs. so much so that I had to hire a lawyer about it a few years back which is what led to my formal diagnosis. In that sense, I'm interdependent.

I'm also not entirely happy with my relationship situation and it's becoming increasingly difficult to find and meet people.

LeeRude
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2012, 3:43 pm

If conditions like space and a quiet place to work with things you can and like were available to everybody it would 97-98% financially self supported.

- one could even help out all those NTs and others that needs a helping hand moneywise

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 8:55 am

Yes, I'm completely self-sufficient. I have my own apartment and car and am by myself almost all the time and work full time in a great job. I also am very frugal and have a strong ability to manage finances.

It's too bad the ladies can't appreciate someone like me!

mv
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 9:06 am

I'm completely self-sufficient and I support my two children, too. I lack in the friends and emotional aspects of life, though, BIG TIME. I can easily find people to date but rarely am I attracted to them so it's all a big mess and I decided to give up on that aspect of life for a while. I think most men require more than I can give, either gender-role-wise or emotionally. I can lose respect for people very quickly, which makes for unsustainable intimate relationships.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 7:01 am

Well,U answered yes, but no I depend on all sorts of people ad systems just to stay afloat. Yes, I've a job that brings in adequate income to meet my needs but that's a terribly fragile situation. My health - sixty plus now, and type 1 diabetic for nearly thirty years - isn't going to stay good forever, and there's nothing of assets, cash or property left of how I've spent those decades. It's a drag. I have to pull a one in a thousand chance out of the barrel and make it work for me, or else there's astonishingly little hope.

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2012, 2:21 pm

I used to think so, before getting diagnosed.
I worked fulltime when I lived with my parents, but after I bought my own house I started working so much I tried to commit suicide after 9 months...
I could afford the house for another 9 months with all the money I had made in those nine months, but eventually I got disability money.
After two years of 3-4 days each week spent at the psychiatrist or psychologist I was bled dry financially and started to do my old job again (disability is not enough to cover mortgage and other bare minimum living expenses like mandatory healthcare, food, water, gas etc...).

So now I do one assignment per month (I'm a freelancer). REEEEALLY had to work superhard to say "No" to more work all the time, but after six months of taking all the work I was near to completely imploding again.
Been doing the once a month thing now for 18 months or so.
Basically it's two weeks of hard work, then two to recover from the first two...
It's a cycle I can survive.

I'll be super happy when I get into the assisted living/housing I'm on the waiting list for though!! !!

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 4:57 pm

I am living on my own and financially suporting 3 other people--just barely.

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2012, 8:28 pm

I answered yes. I support myself and my partner financially. I also pay the bills. He's NT, but has an anxiety disorder that made it hard for him to keep a steady job. He does most of the household chores, drives when necessary, and takes care of the things that I really can't cope with, like shopping at COSTCO or the mall (crazy sensory overloads there).

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2012, 8:34 pm

Barely. The social aspect of work ends up biting me in the rear.

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

I tried so very hard to be self-sufficient, which is something I have attached a lot of pride to. However, I have not been successful and am going back to live with my father. I was married for a few years and after my divorce, lived on my own for three years and finished Uni, but I needed financial help the entire time. AS is not the ONLY reason, though a large factor. I also have an auto immune disease which, coupled with As, makes it hard for me to function at all on some days and makes perfect attendance at work an impossibility. Part of my situation is due to majoring in Business, which I don't like but was pressured into doing by my father. I am going back to Uni in the spring to do what I originally wanted to do - biology and mathematics. Having a lab job will be MUCH better and comfortable for me.

Having to move in with my father is like a nightmare. Not only is it a blow to my ego - I will lose my own personal place and doing everything my way, which is VERY important for me psychologically. My father also has a bad temper. I just try and focus on the end goal, otherwise I will be miserable. I don't show it, but I am quite upset that I didn't succeed at living on my own. It has been a downright failure. I will miss it a lot, though...

G.

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2012, 3:28 am

I'm self-sufficient, I run a house and look after three kids, a dog, and a husband believe it or not. I run the finances and everything, but I do find I have to do a lot of planning, and also tend to end up with very large stacks of washing until someone mentions they have no clean trousers left.

I left home at 18, but again I have a lot of pride and didn't want anyone to interfere with my parenting as I was convinced I could do it on my own, which I have. I guess you could say children are my "special interest", and I think that's probably why I've coped so well with being a Mother. Though I do still struggle with the social aspects of being a parent, having to go into school and talk to the teacher, play dates etc, but again, my interest in relationships, children and family I think has helped me at least emulate a normal family, even if I can't be the same as everyone else.

I do rely on my husband a lot, for things like driving us around, I got anxiety overload when I tried learning to drive and gave up eventually. But I figure that's what you do when you're in a relationship anyway, you rely on the other person for some things.

silencethemusical
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2012, 4:48 pm

I manage my day-to-day activities independently, but I'm not financially self-sufficient. I was an elementary school teacher throughout my thirties. It paid well enough to pay my bills and buy a house, but I was miserable as a teacher. I can think of few work situations -- being surrounded by screaming children, their vengeful parents, deceitful co-workers, and power-hungry administrators -- to which I am less suited. I left teaching for other lines of work with the assistance of my generous parents, but five years later, at 41 years old, I'm still relying very heavily on parental support. I'm not comfortable with it but I'm not comfortable with any of the alternatives either.

InKBlott

04 Oct 2012, 11:37 pm

Glorifel wrote:
I tried so very hard to be self-sufficient, which is something I have attached a lot of pride to. However, I have not been successful and am going back to live with my father. I was married for a few years and after my divorce, lived on my own for three years and finished Uni, but I needed financial help the entire time. AS is not the ONLY reason, though a large factor. I also have an auto immune disease which, coupled with As, makes it hard for me to function at all on some days and makes perfect attendance at work an impossibility. Part of my situation is due to majoring in Business, which I don't like but was pressured into doing by my father. I am going back to Uni in the spring to do what I originally wanted to do - biology and mathematics. Having a lab job will be MUCH better and comfortable for me.

Having to move in with my father is like a nightmare. Not only is it a blow to my ego - I will lose my own personal place and doing everything my way, which is VERY important for me psychologically. My father also has a bad temper. I just try and focus on the end goal, otherwise I will be miserable. I don't show it, but I am quite upset that I didn't succeed at living on my own. It has been a downright failure. I will miss it a lot, though...

G.

I also had to return to my parents' home after a divorce. One way I dealt with the lack of privacy was to volunteer to house sit for people in my church when they went on vacations.

I finally really got out on my own at the age of 29. I've been financially independent, although far from well off, for nearly 30 years now. The need for a great deal of privacy has been a powerful motivator. :D

SpiderJeruz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

I'd say so. I went from a highschool drop-out, criminal to a home-owner, care taker by age 18. I taught myself how to function without the aid or teaching of the public school system. I belive the way the school system is run is backwards. Children mustn't be punished for mistakes, mustn't be coddled like they are. They need to learn from the mistakes on their own and learn how to do things their own way. F' democracy, this world needs pseudo-anarchy. People against that don't give each other enough credit. Do you really think we'd be killing and stealing the moment it was announced that rules weren't in place? Policing, governments... People need to be self sufficient in order to function as a community. I look around and no one helps or cares about their fellow man. It's pitiful that everyone is in their own world as a result of being reliant on the corruption federation. Not to say I'm right, everything is subjective. Simply my opinion on the world today. Especially the US of ass.