staying on SSI for the rest of my life. any experience?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2017, 7:37 pm

I'm 21 years old right now and i have type 1 diabetes, aspergers/autism, and ADHD, and more stuff... I'm trying to get on SSI. Once i get it, i plan on staying on it for the rest of my life because it's too stressful and overwhelming for me to hold a job.

I'm just wondering, are people able to do that? and does anyone have any experience with this? I know that they do yearly reviews for your condition, but if they know your conditions will never go away (like all of mine won't) they do them less often once they learn that. Does anyone have any experience with that?

And also I also know about the representative payee thing, and I know about how I could figure out how to get out of having to have one. I can manage my own money on my own, it's just holding a job is too stressful and overwhelming.

But my main concern is, how difficult would it be for someone with my conditions to stay on SSI for the rest of their lives?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

If you haven't noticed, we just elected a President who wants to create more jobs and has done is best to curb immigration. Which logically means he wants more Americans to work, even though they may currently be retired or on disability right now.

State governments also provide assistance to the disabled. But, some state, like Connecticut, have been cutting assistance in an effort to balance the budget. Connecticut has large pension obligations that make it difficult to balance the budget.

While there are good arguments for a guaranteed income, it is quite obvious that nobody in the current administration is listening.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2017, 8:48 pm

i don't think that necessarily means that i won't get ssi. and i live in wisconsin right now but i eventually want to leave and move to florida or the carolinas.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2017, 9:03 pm

Anyhow, what does everyone else think? (sorry for the double-post) i couldn't edit my last message.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 9:39 pm

It's very hard to live on $733 a month. You'll run out of money at the end of each month. You get good medical benefits, though.

You will probably be rejected the first time around. Once you are rejected, get a disability lawyer, and file an appeal.
As a previous poster stated, Trump will not make it easier for you to get on SSI.

Social service people don't usually treat people on SSI very well.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2017, 3:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's very hard to live on $733 a month. You'll run out of money at the end of each month. You get good medical benefits, though.

You will probably be rejected the first time around. Once you are rejected, get a disability lawyer, and file an appeal.
As a previous poster stated, Trump will not make it easier for you to get on SSI.

Social service people don't usually treat people on SSI very well.

im already part way though. i've been rejected twice so far. i already have a lawyer helping me and theyre going to get me a court date. And i definitely think i will be able to live on $700 a month.
All i need is an income based apartment (i understand the waiting list are long but i'll be fine till then) and all else i need is food, which i hardly eat much of to begin with. and internet, which is less than 100$ and my cellphone bill. I'll be fine with that much.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:57 am

Do-able but severely limits your options in comparison to consistently working a full-time-job;
You do have more free-time on your hands though on SSI if you manage to keep your monthly expenses low.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2017, 5:43 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Do-able but severely limits your options in comparison to consistently working a full-time-job;
You do have more free-time on your hands though on SSI if you manage to keep your monthly expenses low.

it'd be enough for me.
if i was getting $700 a month.
got approved for an income based apartment which takes 1/3rd of my rent... which would be $233. Internet, rounding up is $80 (for highspeed like i like it). Food, $120 (i don't eat much, not to mention food pantries). Electricity $80 (rounding up...)
subtract all of that, that leaves me with $187 dollars (which i know i'd have to spend, like on toilet paper, soap and shaving supplies, which would cost me roughly another $100 rounding up)
Which then leaves me with $87...

am I missing anything. That's fine with me. I don't want much stuff anyway. I'm mostly just at home on my computer all the time.

I still don't understand why people always say it's not enough. Is it because they don't consider income based housing? I understand that the waiting list for those are long, but if i put my name on Every single waiting list within all of this states, i'm sure i would find one soon enough:

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:52 am

I'd never heard of income based housing, honestly. I hope that works out for you! It is true that you can live on very little (some people do it without even being poor--it's called Voluntary Simplicity.) One thing that seems to be difficult for autistic guys on SSI is dating; your budget doesn't leave a lot of room for buying presentable clothes, dinner and drinks, movies and concerts and vacations, or eventually supporting a family.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2017, 11:18 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
I'd never heard of income based housing, honestly. I hope that works out for you! It is true that you can live on very little (some people do it without even being poor--it's called Voluntary Simplicity.) One thing that seems to be difficult for autistic guys on SSI is dating; your budget doesn't leave a lot of room for buying presentable clothes, dinner and drinks, movies and concerts and vacations, or eventually supporting a family.

im actually 100% gay. I only date older men, they ALWAYS pay for everything when we go on dates because i always tell them "i'm broke" which is true, otherwise they just cut contact with me before we even meet, but i dont give a toss to the ones that do :P I have clothes from elementary school that still fit me perfectly fine and are still in excellent shape/condition (i was unnaturally tall for my age back then... over 6 feet). I NEVER want to start a family either :S god forbid :S
and with living in florida, every day will be a vacation :P lol

and yeah, i've heard that they have income based housing places for people with disabilities that only charge 1 third of your income. you have to put your name on a waiting list but that wont be a problem. I can find some people to stay with till then :)

noumenon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2017, 6:52 am

Shop at the dollar store to buy soap and toilet paper and cleaning supplies and all that other stuff, should cost less than $10 a month depending on how much stuff you need, now you just doubled the amount of money you'll have left over.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 7:32 am

The most difficult part of living on SSI is finding housing which you can afford. Many times, that means living with a family member or friend who can rent a room to you. Unfortunately, though, SSI expects you to: 1) pay current-market value for your room (often more than most SSI recipients could afford), 2) pay an equal share (pro rata) of the household bills (mortgage, heating, power, water, sewer, trash collection), or 3) negotiate the room at no cost (which would yield nothing to your family member or friend, and your SSI benefits would be reduced by one-third).

Public housing is a reality for many recipients, but most housing facilities (in my area at least) require the recipient to sign over all or almost all of their benefits every month to pay for their room and food, leaving them just $40 a month to spend on themselves.

The second most difficult part is not buying or owning "investments" like gold and silver coins, expensive art and jewelry (except your wedding ring or your grandmother's earrings which are allowed). But, strangely, you are allowed to buy any motor vehicle you can afford (so, go get yourself a little red Corvette).

As others have written here, your other ordinary expenses are fairly easy to manage. But, SSI prohibits sharing sharing food with others, and vice versa. Also, if you sell personal property, you must claim it as income and your benefits will be reduced accordingly; better to donate your old stuff to charity. Clothing, furniture, books, CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray disks, magazines, newspapers, electronics, household appliances, medical equipment, and hobby or recreational items are all exempt (you may buy and own as much as you wish). Vacations are also exempt (but, most recipients can't afford them). The one sticky point is that you may not receive cash, checks, money orders, gift certificates or gift cards in any amount more than $20 a month from all sources. This means Christmas and your birthdays must be creative (tell family and friends that you can receive "things (like a book, Blu-ray disk or sweater)" but not cash or cards; then, exchange the gifts for items you actually want if necessary.

One thing to remember with SSI is that you can't own more than $2,000 in cash or assets at any given time. Think of yourself as a federally employed "professional shopper." You are expected to spend, spend, spend. Just make sure that your own bills are paid first, and try to buy things for yourself. I own clothing I haven't even worn yet.

Finally, as my benefits lawyer told me many times, look for reasons to visit your medical or psychological doctors at least three or four times a year. SSI watches for any sign that you are no longer disabled. Visiting your doctors for counseling or tests is a great way to prove you are still disabled.

Beyond that, there is very little that will change your life from the usual. Personally, I collect discount cards from various restaurants, museums, theatres, cinemas, transit authorities and state or national parks. The cards encourage my spending, and allow me to do 2-for-1 dinners with friends (look for those PBS MemberCards) without breaking the bank.

Good luck!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2017, 8:04 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Public housing is a reality for many recipients, but most housing facilities (in my area at least) require the recipient to sign over all or almost all of their benefits every month to pay for their room and food, leaving them just $40 a month to spend on themselves.

i have never heard of that before. I thought they only took out one third of your income.

Also, about the giftcards and certificates, i found this: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0500830522
i believe they would only count giftcards as income if they can be used to buy food or shelter or can be resold.

like, if someone got you a gift card to american eagle or abercombie and fitch, that wouldn't be considered income, but if it was for walmart or target (stores that sell food) it would be considered income.

Last edited by Joe_Winko_From_YouTube on 20 Mar 2017, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:13 am

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

i have never heard of that before. I thought they only took out one third of your income.

Well, it depends on the housing facility. Many still do provide housing only without meals, and take one-third of the benefits. But, two friends have told me that they were required to sign over their monthly benefits and were "allowed" to keep $40 a month at facilities which offered "free" meals. Of course, if it is a nicer facility, that might not be so bad. But, I would prefer to have more choices.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2017, 8:26 am

noumenon wrote:
Shop at the dollar store to buy soap and toilet paper and cleaning supplies and all that other stuff, should cost less than $10 a month depending on how much stuff you need, now you just doubled the amount of money you'll have left over.

^i don't know why i didn't that of that earlier. lol. thanks :D <3

AspieUtah wrote:

Well, it depends on the housing facility. Many still do provide housing only without meals, and take one-third of the benefits. But, two friends have told me that they were required to sign over their monthly benefits and were "allowed" to keep $40 a month at facilities which offered "free" meals. Of course, if it is a nicer facility, that might not be so bad. But, I would prefer to have more choices.[/quote]

ah i see. i wouldnt need the free meals at all. I'd have to check the polices on those places. there's probably some other places where i can buy cheap food too. I barely even eat that much to be honest.

anyhow, thanks for your advice everyone :) <3 i really appreciate it :) if there's anything else you think i should know, just let me know :)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
ah i see. i wouldnt need the free meals at all. I'd have to check the polices on those places. there's probably some other places where i can buy cheap food too. I barely even eat that much to be honest....

I feel the same way. Besides, the "meals" are said to be hoagie sandwiches and potato chips. In my opinion, it is criminal extortion to treat people this way. I wonder if a reduction of benefits would follow being homeless because there would be no rent payments. It stands to reason that there might be a reduction. I spend about $100 a month on food, and there are usually some items left over.