Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

NTmom1000
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Mar 2011, 9:52 am

Yes, my daughter ~ undiagnosed AS ~ has Cortical Dysplasia. She started having simple partial focal seizures at the age of 2. She takes Tegretol and the seizures are well controlled. There is a small lesion on her Perital Lobe that causes the seizures. She is now 11 and the seizures haven't changed at all and still only occur 2- 3 times a year on average. AS runs in my husband's family ~ my husband, his father, 3 of his 4 brothers, 2 nephews, one niece and my daughter ~ in my opinion all suffer. They are all very high functioning, with very high IQs just poor social skills, little eye contact. I've done a lot of research on my own and I feel there is a strong relationship between AS/Autism and seizures. But that is simply one mother's opinion.

Bimin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2011, 1:23 am

I have Asperger's, Add and Epilepsy although I have not had a seizure in over ten years. My epilepsy started at age 8 because of a drunk school bus driver, went into a coma, came out and suffered many seizures, some days long.

klikmaus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2011, 3:23 pm

I only recently learned of Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2000, but I seriously suspect it was misdiagnosed A.S. as I don't have an attention deficit when it cones to something of interest-- in fact it's the polar opposite. I tend to zone out of reality and I'm "in my own little world". I am hypersensitive to the point a tube television (CRT)-- even on mute-- annoys me. Florescent lights with even the slightest flicker gives me a headache. The list is way more extensive than that, but you get the point.... Anyhow... I had childhood seizures up until I was about 6 years old. I received MRI's and CT scans (whatever it was they used to electronically probe my cranium) and while epilepsy was ruled out, the doctors couldn't say exactly WHAT the cause was. The scans were performed at the women's and children's hospital in Midland/ Odessa Texas, around 1984. I'm pretty sure that Asperger's wasn't something that the doctors were familiar with there, at the time. If the seizures were related to being high in the autistic spectrum or not is beyond me, but either way-- I had the seizures and I'm 99% certain I have A.S. I'm currently seeking a therapist for proper evaluation so I can fill in that other 1%...

camelia
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2011, 5:06 pm

sorry if this is an old thread.
I am not diagnosed but have pretty significant AS tendencies. Like with sounds... loud talking, tv sets, creaking in floors above me, the whine of tv sets, smacking.. especially smacking just drive me crazy. I can't have any noises in the car, like from a vibrating piece of paper or something. I stop, find the source of the noise and move it. Haven't had a relationship in 12 years and that was not really a relationship.. no friends. trouble with anger. bright lights annoy me. I can't ride elevators because I hate the way they make me feel. pretty consistently depressed. prefer working by myself, also prefer writing to trying to talk to people face to face.

anyway.
I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 20 or 21... I (had) grand mals, currently controlled w/ meds. Went for extensive retesting a few years ago to see if I could come off the meds, nope.. still have the brain abnormality that triggers the siezures.

suspect my dad has some form of HFA.. brilliant in math, reclusive, doesn't get along so well with people.. but who knows. I see a lot of myself in him.

GreekAdonis1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2011, 10:10 pm

I have been diagnosed with both Asperger's Syndrome and Epilepsy. My Asperger's was diagnosed when I was 5 years old and my Epilepsy fairly recently when I was 15. I am now 16. Initial neurologists said I didn't have Epilepsy but further on down the track it turned out I did. My mother was Epileptic and my family says maybe my father had Asperger's but wasn't diagnosed. They are both sadly gone now, they passed away when i was 14 :(. Soon after I started having seizures because of my stress and depression levels and eventually I was diagnosed with Juvenile Micronic Epilepsy when I moved up to Brisbane with the other family members. So yeah thankfully I was diagnosed and am now on medication.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 1:19 pm

This makes me wonder if "stimming" is a low grade form of epilepsy, or is somehow related to it. Involuntary movement on a small scale.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2011, 11:20 pm

I was registered on this site nearly a decade ago and this is my first post in many years. Diagnosed with both Asperger's and epilepsy, specifically a form where the seizures trigger migraines, or migraines can trigger seizures. The migraines are under control with the meds, but the seizures aren't, even with 2 different anti-convulsants. The seizure doc said the asperger's definitely contributes to both my seizures and migraines, because sensory over-stimulation and conversation are my major triggers, and much worse when I'm over-tired or haven't had enough sleep. The additional seizure medication had a surprising effect of making it so that if I don't get enough sleep I get shifted hard towards the autistic side of the spectrum as far as sensory stuff goes, but I still have the high IQ to deal with it in a social appropriate manner, and even then it's not always easy or graceful.

yardbird
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2011, 5:09 am

When I was in my early teens I was diagnosed with epilepsy. Despite being prescribed virtually every medication available I wasn't able to stop the seizures. Although, at that time, I would not have considered myself to be a major socialite; I was at least functional and had no problem socializing and enjoying friendships. But during my junior year of college I tried to find a final solution to my problem by undergoing brain surgery. Until recently I've never heard of aspergers syndrome, but now in hindsight everything I've experienced post surgery makes some kind of sense. After the surgery I found it very difficult to function socially or keep any friendships which I had prior to the surgery. Although I'm fully aware of the difference prior to and post surgery, I still seem to find myself crawling further and further into a shell. I find it harder and harder to laugh at the things which used to amuse me. Again, in hindsight, if I had it to do over again I would chose to endure the minor burdens of the epilepsy prior to the surgery wrather than the social handicap which I am now living with.

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2011, 9:39 pm

not to offend but is your username having anything to do with seizures :o clever!

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

theQuail wrote:
I've read that seizures in ASDs are correlated with intellectual impairment, so they're probably not as common in AS.

Not necessarily so...

I have epilepsy, AS, and a high IQ. ADHD, too. My seizures were difficult to control earlier in life but they've been controlled for the past 12 or 13 years now.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 9:57 pm

yardbird wrote:
When I was in my early teens I was diagnosed with epilepsy. Despite being prescribed virtually every medication available I wasn't able to stop the seizures. Although, at that time, I would not have considered myself to be a major socialite; I was at least functional and had no problem socializing and enjoying friendships. But during my junior year of college I tried to find a final solution to my problem by undergoing brain surgery. Until recently I've never heard of aspergers syndrome, but now in hindsight everything I've experienced post surgery makes some kind of sense. After the surgery I found it very difficult to function socially or keep any friendships which I had prior to the surgery. Although I'm fully aware of the difference prior to and post surgery, I still seem to find myself crawling further and further into a shell. I find it harder and harder to laugh at the things which used to amuse me. Again, in hindsight, if I had it to do over again I would chose to endure the minor burdens of the epilepsy prior to the surgery wrather than the social handicap which I am now living with.

I refused surgery earlier in life because of the fact that my seizures arise out of the left temporal lobe, too close to the speech areas for my comfort. I did eventually get the seizures under control, so hearing your story makes me even more glad I chose not to have the surgery.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 10:00 pm

NTmom1000 wrote:
Yes, my daughter ~ undiagnosed AS ~ has Cortical Dysplasia. She started having simple partial focal seizures at the age of 2. She takes Tegretol and the seizures are well controlled. There is a small lesion on her Perital Lobe that causes the seizures. She is now 11 and the seizures haven't changed at all and still only occur 2- 3 times a year on average. AS runs in my husband's family ~ my husband, his father, 3 of his 4 brothers, 2 nephews, one niece and my daughter ~ in my opinion all suffer. They are all very high functioning, with very high IQs just poor social skills, little eye contact. I've done a lot of research on my own and I feel there is a strong relationship between AS/Autism and seizures. But that is simply one mother's opinion.

Actually the studies show that about 25-30 percent of people with ASDs have seizure disorders, so this is not just an opinion :)

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

chrisperez
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2012, 11:29 am

ive been diagnosed with aspergers,seizure disorder,bipoolar disorder nos,savantism,hyperlexia and learning disabilities.so yeas they can coincide with each other

Lahmacun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2012, 1:30 pm

I am self-diagnosed Asperger's, and have had problems with seizures during sleep for several years now. I only learned about the nocturnal seizures when my husband told me about them, so I don't actually know how long I've had them. During the day, I also sometimes have a full-body jerk combined with goosebumps and a kind of gasping intake of breath, as if I'd suddenly been dunked in cold water. My grandmother used to say, when I did this, "you had a ghost walking over your grave." Yuck, what a metaphor!

When I have the seizures during my sleep, I now can feel the difference between that kind of night and a "quiet night." I wake up feeling groggy, a little depressed, and like I haven't slept well. It is usually very hard to concentrate for several hours, and I often get migraines as well. I usually need to go back to sleep in the middle of the day.

I never have been to a doctor about either of these conditions, because when I lived in America it would have prevented me from being insured ever again, and the cost of an MRI or a visit to a sleep clinic would have bankrupted me. If they had diagnosed me with epilepsy, even though the seizures only happened during sleep, I might not have been able to drive for at least six months, which would have left me unemployed--I lived in rural Nevada at the time and worked at a job over forty miles away. As the seizures got progressively worse, I told my employer what was going on, and he agreed to let me work three ten-hour shifts a week--two days on, then a day off, then the third day, then the weekend. That worked quite well, as stress and fatigue seems to increase the frequency and intensity of these seizures.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2012, 9:39 pm

Old thread, but they all seem to be in this area of the forum. I have absence/petit mal seizures triggered by a certain light pattern, and have since I was a teenager (no head trauma). I am suspected (strongly) AS, and in the process of getting a diagnosis, which apparently takes months with Kaiser. :roll:

camelia
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2012, 11:43 pm

i have epilepsy and was dx'ed as & adhd a year ago.

the relationship between epilepsy and autism is mostly because of genetic disorders like Fragile X.. though there is still much left to understand and learn about genetics, ASD and epilepsy... i don't think there is a direct correlation between ep. and aspergers - not yet at least.