Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 3:35 am

paolo wrote:
And what is the interaction with the outer world of a contractor?

Nice...because it's temporary, brief, impersonal and on my own terms.

I personally believe aspies have the ability to loneliness.

equivalent to an NT's ability to deal with society.

The latter is pure speculation, I have no Idea how they feel,

what it seems to me is that Aspies are self-motivated, NT's are society motivated.

If you take an NT out of society, he appears lonely, An Aspie appears unaffected.

If you put an NT in society, he's unaffected, put an aspie in there, and their lonely.

No scientist by far, just a simple observation, while pondering what I'm looking at.

philosopher
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2009, 4:21 am

Great discussion i agree that society if there is such a thing makes no sense fitting in becomes incresingly impossible as one gets older.Tonight iam am atempting to start a self advocacy encouragement group called autistics for autistics have no idea how it will turn out everone seems angry and defensive.If we dont get together and show the herd there is a better way and despite appearances we have a lot to contribute we might as well give up .

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 1:45 am

philosopher wrote:
and show the herd there is a better way

Quite cynical right now :evil: :twisted:
Yeah, but if one of them opens up to the better way he loses his member of the herd identity and that scares the **** out of them.
Conserve the herd!
At all costs.

Justcurious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2009, 4:28 pm

Have to agree here with those that do not equate being a lone or a loner with the feeling of loneliness.

I am alone right now typing this message but have no overwhelming desire for any company, not even that of the internet.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 7:36 pm

Justcurious wrote:
Have to agree here with those that do not equate being a lone or a loner with the feeling of loneliness.

I am alone right now typing this message but have no overwhelming desire for any company, not even that of the internet.

I agree, too. I am usually alone, but not often lonely. Today I've been feeling something akin to loneliness, because I've been working on a complicated knitted cardigan, and I'm confused about the cable pattern. I wish I had another knitter here with me, to help me figure it out. But is that loneliness? Or is it just wanting help?

YouraWizardHarry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2012, 8:31 am

I have autism. DO NOT STEREOTYPE US. f--k you, you can't just go on a forum for people who HAVE AUTISM OR ASPERGER'S and say that they are all loners. HOW DARE YOU.

Brodi56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2012, 2:41 pm

YouraWizardHarry wrote:
I have autism. DO NOT STEREOTYPE US. f--k you, you can't just go on a forum for people who HAVE AUTISM OR ASPERGER'S and say that they are all loners. HOW DARE YOU.

I'm not talking about anyone else. I'm only talking about myself. There are times I enjoy the company of another person. There are other times when I frankly prefer the company of my dog while I sit by the fireplace and read a book. I don't think of myself as a loner, but maybe others perceive me to be that way.

lundygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:22 pm

YouraWizardHarry wrote:

This thread is not about stereotyping people with autism or asperger's. It's a discussion on the theme of 'All autistic people are loners', and an opportunity for people to comment on whether they feel that loneliness = autism.

My thoughts are that perhaps autism by its very nature can lead to loneliness. If you struggle with social interactions, or suffer social anxiety or sensory issues then sometimes it is just easier to spend time on your own.

I too am ok with my own company much of the time, but I do get lonely and I wish I was able to get out there and make (and maintain) friendships. I have a lot of problems with social anxiety so I don't go out much anyway - it becomes a vicious circle. I'd like to go out, but my anxiety stops me from doing so. When I do go out, I find interacting with people a struggle, which makes me anxious, so I just want to get back home again.

ellora
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

I enjoy my own company, and generally like to be alone. However, there are times when I feel that I would like to have a partner or significant other. my problem is that I do not wish to endure the dating process necessary in order to find someone.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 12:16 am

Autistic = alone, but not lonely.

Personally, I spend a lot more thought on how to avoid people than on how to engage people.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:06 am

From the wiki, which includes a formal reference to the quote:
"Autism" - used it to mean morbid self-admiration, referring to "autistic withdrawal of the patient to his fantasies, against which any influence from outside becomes an intolerable disturbance".

By definition, autistic closely means someone who shuns the outside world. This happens naturally as children, but as knowledge of the outside world increases, some people want to participate more with that outside world and begin to change their mindset from being as autistic as it was when they were a child.

I for one am a very outgoing loner. I like being friendly and having down-to-earth friends with whom I don't feel like I'm having to put on an act, but in the end, I will prefer to be at home in my room putting together a puzzle, listening to the radio, and absorbed in my own head over going out with people to a bar. I will prefer to work on a project on my own after someone has shown me how than to work with a group on a project - in fact, it quite bothers me when others are involved, usually because I know I have certain standards of perfection and control, and it's in everyone's best interest that either I'm in charge or I'm left alone. It's only when others look down upon me for that mindset and possibly shun me or talk bad about me that I begin to feel alone if I let it get to me.

Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2012, 10:51 pm

I am definitely a loner, but I also get lonely. I have enough interaction with my kids during the week that it takes care of any loneliness I might feel. If I feel the need to "socialize", I just go to a bar or Starbucks or whatever and sit and people watch. Works for me. If I spend too much time around people I start to feel that internal pressure and need to escape.

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 6:19 am

NicoleG wrote:
From the wiki, which includes a formal reference to the quote:
"Autism" - used it to mean morbid self-admiration, referring to "autistic withdrawal of the patient to his fantasies, against which any influence from outside becomes an intolerable disturbance".

By definition, autistic closely means someone who shuns the outside world. This happens naturally as children, but as knowledge of the outside world increases, some people want to participate more with that outside world and begin to change their mindset from being as autistic as it was when they were a child.

I for one am a very outgoing loner. I like being friendly and having down-to-earth friends with whom I don't feel like I'm having to put on an act, but in the end, I will prefer to be at home in my room putting together a puzzle, listening to the radio, and absorbed in my own head over going out with people to a bar. I will prefer to work on a project on my own after someone has shown me how than to work with a group on a project - in fact, it quite bothers me when others are involved, usually because I know I have certain standards of perfection and control, and it's in everyone's best interest that either I'm in charge or I'm left alone. It's only when others look down upon me for that mindset and possibly shun me or talk bad about me that I begin to feel alone if I let it get to me.

This one, for the most part.

I actually, by and large, like people-- a few at a time, in small doses, and individual people as distinct from the herd with its mob mentality and stupid social games.

I prefer to work alone-- the thought of talking with others intimidates, the thought of taking them down with me if I screw up terrifies-- but I don't even mind working with others, as long as they're good leaders-- give clear instructions and are not wildly erractic in decisions or derisive of differing opinions. By and large-- no, as a categorical statement-- I have so little confidence in my own abilities that I'd rather follow someone who seems to know what they're doing than be in charge.

Notwithstanding, being significantly different from the herd seems to, by default, mean spending a lot of time alone (whether one wants to or not) and being kicked around often enough that one quickly learns to associate the company of others with danger.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 7:17 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
wildly erractic in decisions or derisive of differing opinions

This is my boss. He is the most absent-minded, forgetful, bigoted, micro-manager on the planet. Ask me how much I enjoy working with him....

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

I don't relate to the concept of loneliness. The closest thing I can imagine is an unwanted silence (there are times when a total silence strikes me with horror, there is nothing to distract from the awareness of being so small and irrelevant and mortal).

I live my life to maximize the amount of time I can spend alone, and it seems like I can never get enough. I'd probably crave interaction if I was stranded on a deserted island, but I'm not, and loneliness is something that so far I have never experienced.

I don't believe that all introverts have Aspergers. Rather, everyone who has Aspergers is an introvert and shares some common characteristics.