Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

shsss1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2017, 7:51 am

I, an 24-year-old with autism, am thoroughly convinced that one is born with autism, and therefore can never "outgrow" it. I consider it more like a "trait" than a "disorder", but I still call it a disorder, because that is its official name - Autism Spectrum Disorder, as stated in the DSM-5.

Given these points, I suggest founding a grassroots organization that only admits adults with autism, so that they can help refute harmful stereotypes of autism perpetuated by the U.S. mass media.

I tried joining the Autism Self-Advocacy Network, but I don't know how to go through the necessary procedures.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:12 pm

It looks from the website that you can register online
https://salsa4.salsalabs.com/o/50944/donate_page/membership

shsss1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2017, 12:25 pm

I don't have enough money.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:09 pm

shsss1994 wrote:
Given these points, I suggest founding a grassroots organization that only admits adults with autism, so that they can help refute harmful stereotypes of autism perpetuated by the U.S. mass media.

What I do is go on comment sections of media and YouTube videos to refute with stereotypes or just to state my opinion on Autism related issues. Most do require an account or a Google or Facebook Account so I have created separate accounts that have Aspie/Autistic in the name. As one person doing this I can not make a difference but I am far from the only one doing this. A couple of years ago nearly every comment thread in an Autism article no matter what the topic at hand one or more people would tell autistics not to call themselves "autistic" but a "person with autism" because "autistic" is offensive to autistics. Nearly every time that happened the language policing person was told by multiple posters why we thought they were the rude/offensive ones. Causation may not be correlation but I rarely in comment sections see NT's insisting we call ourselves a "person with autism" anymore.

Note: I have no objection if a spectrumites want to call themselves a person with autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shsss1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2017, 7:41 pm

You got that phrase backwards. It's "correlation does not prove causation", not "causation does not prove correlation".

shsss1994
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2020, 8:43 pm

Listen up. Just because I'm thoroughly convinced of something now doesn't mean I'm thoroughly convinced of it forever. My mind will change when and only when someone else can give me some evidence. Besides, what I meant to say was that it's impossible to cure autism, because it is not a disease.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 11:22 pm

shsss1994 wrote:
I consider it more like a "trait" than a "disorder",

It's both

shsss1994 wrote:

Why the restriction?

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 11:30 pm

"You don't grow out of autism", well technically not.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 11:39 pm

Meanwhile back in the real world autistic kids with functional limitations do develop the capacity to manage their behaviour/compulsions so growing to manage their autism.