Website against Asperger's Syndrome: HeartlessAspergers.com

Page 9 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 2:21 pm

norwegiansun wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
norwegiansun wrote:
i want to be clear about one thing: aspergers is a condition we need help to overcome. But a human is more than the diagnose. :-)

It is part of out brain so it can not be truly "overcome", better to work with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

Applied Behavioral Anaylsts (ABA) enthusiasts have been trying to get rid of Autism by rewiring the brain since the mid 1960's. Only in very very few cases have they been apearently been successful. In a small percentage of cases they have apparently "lessoned" the traits enough to "lose" the diagnosis. I say appearently because there just has been enough time study the "successful" cases to see if the "fix" is permenent. What has been well documented is in children if you end or ease up on ABA the "patient" "regresses". So is it really a fix or a band aid?

Then there are ethical questions do you want to get rid all of it or just the bad parts. If you want to to get rid of just the bad parts who decides what are the bad parts? Is Autism so bad is the depression and self hate many Autistics who have gone through these behavoiral therapies an acceptable price?. Should wanting to "overcome" Autism be a personal decision or is Autism so bad that it should be mandatory or because Autism renders Autistics unable to understand what is good for them.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 10:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I say appearently because there just has been enough time study the "successful" cases to see if the "fix" is permenent. What has been well documented is in children if you end or ease up on ABA the "patient" "regresses". So is it really a fix or a band aid?

If you are a ABA therapist or psychologist you would argue that the re-wiring process is incomplete. They would see it like an addict who opts out of treatment before fully recovering that their brain is still hard wired to seek the addictive substance they crave

In the case of ASD psychology is still coming to terms with how much is re-wiring can be attributed to ABA and how much is developmental changes?

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Windigo
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2017, 1:50 am

Ah, someone found a person with Asperger's she didn't like and dedicated a website to them.

Well, newsflash for her: people can be nasty in every category. Including people like me with Aspergers. Because at the end of the day, everyone is still human and humans can be nasty. It has nothing to do with their diagnosis.

Reading her website it might be a good idea if she gets herself checked out too, as she seems to be quite full of hate.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:45 am

Well I am glad that someone knowledges that ASD people can be bad and that anyone can be bad. I have noticed on here over the years that if anyone lands in a relationship with someone who happens to have autism and they were nasty, people here would automatically blame the victim by calling them a narcissist and judging them and accusing them of not being understanding so I have learned if your partner has AS and then your ex and they were not good, do not mention their diagnoses or their suspected condition. That way you will still get sympathy and not be treated as the bad guy and be victim blamed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2017, 4:33 am

citation from "Autism as context blindness"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autism-Context ... +blindness

page 21

"I argue that people with autism do have a theory of mind but that their social cognitive abilities are not activated by the more basic subcognitive processes that activate them in people without autism"

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 3:14 pm

Fair, marriage could be a terrible idea no matter what but I as an I.T. boffin find myself disbelieving her synopses; the punctuation is mostly incorrect, add to that a monosyllabic pen name & I think this is a very embellished memoir. I don't really think anyone who might keep a job training I.T. cert courses would have that much trouble with grammar *weeps for the future*, nor do I think standing by every word, as she puts it, means anything at all when I'm just seeing run on sentences.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

This thread seems more popular than the damn website at the moment. That is not a good thing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2017, 3:48 am

who are neurotypicals to think that they are so perfect!!

listen from 25.36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbrVfIlCfJA

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 2:33 pm

norwegiansun wrote:
http://www.humangivenscollege.com/courses/treating-context-blindness.html

Quakery College

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2017, 2:17 pm

Not this again!!

DON'T_FEED_THE_TROLLS!!

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 6:45 pm

PwoperNereguar wrote:
People with Aspergers lacking empathy was disproved ages ago. It's becoming a more popular theory that we're more empathetic than neurotypicals, which makes more sense. I walk into a room and I feel everything everyone else is feeling and feel a strong need to help anyone who's upset, even if I hate them. Neurotypicals, however, don't seem to give a s**t. I've noticed that they only seem to help if it's in their best interest in the long run and seem to say that they don't care about anyone with pride.

Well done for finding a theory that fits most of the tabloid journalist columns but fails to engage with all of us hurt lockers out there who strive to find a better way through this barking mad existence called real life, real movement, hard progress. If anyone can call any people to account on their neurotypical debilitating imaginary solareclipses and draw up some soundproof recognition, then everone with traits of the AS or ASD can stand a chance of finding a place that conjuncts evry crzy soundbite in mediocre existence. Perhaps people should look closer to their homes for a clue on free thinking individuals with the power to shut out storm chasers.
Those who bail themselves out are doing themselves a favour, those who wait for others to do it, are just not willing to depend on their own judgement, I appreciate though, there are some who cannot do this.
I can certainly relate to the facts on AFDD, an affective disorder and perhaps disorientation to yourself from the outer world, its threats and strange people. I had severe forms of it I think between the ages of 14 and 17 maybe 18.
This is of course, the time you would expect all your hard efforts from others whom you seek to please or look up to, to be at last recognised, not swarmed in a bottomless pit that does nothing for your self esteem. http://www.maxineaston.co.uk/research/A ... vation.pdf
Town life is hard, especially surrounded by the same hogs who can't do a single thing themselves and seek to find others to blame for their own lack of skillset. I find in many ways, routine a chore, because its there and you need it other times it probably provides some comfort to know its there, others are either victims or slaves, who wants to be either? Do for the public what they do for you, then you can never be disappointed.
When it comes to survival, if you need someone to help you fine, if you can do it yourself, yet still be frowned upon, even better, because these are all just non intuitive instinctive people who haven't witten anything imaginative in their life, who have suddenly think they have found an unwritten dilemma, which should solve the misery of AS peoples lives. How do they put up with the bluntness all the time? I only carry some traits, but I wouldn't be prepared to give a whole hours lecture on it. For Englanders, the thought of a person echoing a voice with a disability or condition is a way of saying, well? go on for pities sake, and if you're lucky I'll fill your cash bucket. The full on arrogance of their stupidity, doesn't blight me no more, if they want to waste money on a worthy cause for a cause, then its only we who will grow richer from it, they aren't geting nothing from it, therefore, they lack empathy.
Thats only one explantion to account for a deaf or blind or incoherent persons interests. Is this my way of ranting at all the stupid improbable clauses that go accounted for or is this just my pms talking. You know, the more I think about it, those who do interrupt free speech have realised that nothing they do or say can ever really be accounted for, and they've failed in their miserable attempts to be heard. Thats why Corbyn politics and rich fruitcakes or Green mandates are just a thing to be cleared up on the mercy of others bad tidings, and the pass to a fuller insight lies in a social or just mild state of dilemma. I've kicked the front door in, now it only needs a true champion to open it.
Sorry late night booty extras on demand yet again. *Slams shut the door.*

norwegiansun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2017, 6:51 am

adelyn birch, kary ford etc etc = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXyPwhK ... HQ&index=1

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 9:33 am

League_Girl wrote:
I still think this site was made by a woman who was hurt by her partner who happened to have AS so instead of making a whole blog about being with her ex and how he hurt her and affected her, she makes a whole website on AS to "warn" others about them and she collects other quotes from partners with aspies and put them on her website.

I would say you are exactly right...someone is very, very bitter.

About the whole empathy thing, just make take you understand. Sometimes I don't care about whatever random event which I have just been told about, or about something which I have said or done. Its not because I don't care that I have upset someone, its because I did not know why words or actions (or inaction) have upset someone else. I would hope that I would never upset someone on purpose, it is just that sometimes I don't get it, even when someone has explained to me why they were upset, I still might not really understand why they were upset about "Nothing" but hey thats just me.

I do however think that there is much milage in the theory thats we are over empathic in actual fact, I almost explode with emotions sometimes, I cry at the drop of a hate. There is nothing on this earth which upset me as much as having a row with my wife...It feels like the end of the world, it really hurts me, its almost physical

BBC: Radio 4

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 9:40 am

norwegiansun wrote:
who are neurotypicals to think that they are so perfect!!

listen from 25.36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbrVfIlCfJA

Thanks for that, Peter is very cool I am a big fan. I highly recommend his book Context Blindness in Autism.

BBC: Radio 4