Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 6:56 pm

http://www.montrosepress.com/national/entertainment/gary-numan-credits-asperger-s-syndrome-to-success/article_da68cb3b-aea9-598c-b544-ccba7ece62e2.html

Quote:
The 59-year-old electronic music pioneer is also thankful to his wife Gemma and their children - daughters Raven, Persia, and Echo - for understanding the condition and for helping him get to where he is now.

He said: "I've always known I've been different but I've always seen it as an advantage. I can't chitchat to people out in the street -- I'm not very good at social situations -- but I have phenomenal focus, drive and obsession. Asperger's is a golden glove. And having Gemma and my family giving me support has been massively important. Gemma understands Asperger's really well.

"I see no shame in what I go through and no reason to be closed about it. I wrote an entire album about this, it's hardly keeping it a secret."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2017, 9:53 pm

A shame he doesn't credit himself.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:03 pm

Was actually a big fan of Gary Numan and never knew (back in the day) that he had Aspergers. His electronic music was mind blowing at the time and was all over the Australian radio stations.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 8:49 am

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1439680/gary-numan-health-latest-aspergers-syndrome-cause

Quote:
Gary Numan, 63, stormed the music industry as the frontman of the new wave band Tubeway Army and could be described as a techno pop pioneer. His meticulous focus and passion have helped him carve a name for himself, but his quirky attributes are down to a medical condition. What is it and what are the symptoms to spot?

I find social situations difficult, especially if I have to make small talk. It's hard to read body language or the little nuances that go to make up a conversation.

"Fortunately, I have Gemma to help me. Unlike my wife, whose care of our home borders on OCD and would put me to shame, I'm not obsessive in that way.“

But, in things that interest me, I do tend to fixate and take obsession to the extreme.

“For example, when I was into planes and air-display flying, I wasn't happy with simply taking part. I had to become a qualified examiner.

"Same thing happened with boats: I simply had to know everything there was to know about them. On the whole, I think having Asperger's has been a good thing.

“It's given me a slightly different view of the world and I truly believe it helped get me through some hard times. I'd never wish it away.”

But, in things that interest me, I do tend to fixate and take obsession to the extreme.

“For example, when I was into planes and air-display flying, I wasn't happy with simply taking part. I had to become a qualified examiner.

"Same thing happened with boats: I simply had to know everything there was to know about them. On the whole, I think having Asperger's has been a good thing.

“It's given me a slightly different view of the world and I truly believe it helped get me through some hard times. I'd never wish it away.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 10:25 am

Could this be the ultimate autistic anthem:

Repetitive, obsessive, not social, and with a monotone cadence. And the uniformity of patterns--check out the visuals.

;)