Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 6:26 pm

Roman J. Israel, Esq., Is a Formula Movie With a Doozy of a Twist

Quote:
In the ethical drama Roman J. Israel, Esq., Denzel Washington plays an activist lawyer on the spectrum (Washington used the now-unfashionable word Asperger’s at the Toronto International Film Festival premiere), and the film has been shaped around his character’s every stammer and awkward, dissociative glance. There’s no one else of consequence onscreen: It’s all Denzel all the time

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 9:01 pm

I think I saw a trailer for that. I like the "activist" part of it too.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2017, 4:54 am

I love how the article says Asperger's as a diagnosis is "unfashionable" when it's still an actual diagnosis in the ICD-10. :roll:

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 6:48 am

Hypercoaster wrote:
I love how the article says Asperger's as a diagnosis is "unfashionable" when it's still an actual diagnosis in the ICD-10. :roll:

The DSM is more widely used. I think all these characters are just a cash grab.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 8:13 am

As with Jonathan Demme's 1993 film Philadelphia, Denzel Washington seems to enjoy leading all Americans, but especially those of his black community, to a moral center regarding several of Washington's characters that they had culturally despised before following him toward near-instant appreciation and understanding. Demme's film allowed Washington to admit to and examine his own homophobia (Washington had reportedly, at the time, warned actor Will Smith that whether Smith played a gay character or not, he should never kiss another man onscreen). So, in Roman J. Israel, Esq., Washington seems to take the lead again in showing his audiences that, while the lingering taboo of HIV/AIDS and homophobia of 1993 could be overcome, so too could demonstrably autistic characters serve as an example of how culturally disenfranchised individuals are owed more than a punchline. Watch for some serious appreciation and understanding come from Washington's fans after the November 3, 2017, release of Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 4:55 pm

Hypercoaster wrote:

The ICD-10 version is a little out of date
F84.5
ICD-10 Diagnostic Criteria for Research : F84.5 - Asperger's Syndrome* A. A lack of any clinically significant general delay in spoken or receptive language or cognitive development.

This diagnostic criteria seems quit rigid and would discount a number if high profile Aspies such as Temple Grandin who is both an activist and a professor in Arizona State University but just happened to have a delay in both their receptive language and cognitive development

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:05 pm

Trailor

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 2:03 am

DENZEL WASHINGTON SAYS BECOMING ROMAN J. ISRAEL ESQ. WAS "A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE FUN"

Quote:
Washington, who also serves as a producer on the project, says the savant-like Israel wasn’t necessarily written to be autistic, but through his research he discovered what exactly made his character tick.

“It was more of the research that I started doing and the behavior that I felt he had that led me down that road,” Washington tells ABC Radio. “Doing a lot of research about the [autism] spectrum, about autism and Asperger’s. And so that’s the direction I went with.”

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 6:26 pm

Denzel has been nominated for an Oscar for Best Male Actor for his portrayal.

The film is now available on demand

Denzel Washington on How He's Similar to His 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.' Character: "Natural Born Slobs"

Quote:
Denzel Washington, 63, earned his eighth acting nomination (and ninth overall) for playing the eccentric titular defense attorney at the center of Dan Gilroy’s courtroom drama, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

What research did you do to find this character?

I started doing a lot of research about the spectrum and Asperger’s. I felt like there was evidence in the script that made me feel that this man was on the spectrum. Dan and I talked about it and just did a lot of research in what that entails.

How did you decide what Roman would look like — his hair, clothes?

It’s a process; one thing leads to another. You start with asking, “Why? Why is he alone? Why doesn’t he have a relationship? Why does he live alone? Why is there nothing in his house but books? Why doesn’t he have any friends?” You just start asking those questions of yourself and answering them, and then you’re off to the races, hopefully.

Do you have anything specific in common with Roman?

Natural born slobs. Oh man, my shirt won’t stay in. But I enjoyed that so much — that was right up my alley.

Do you enjoy the Oscars?

For me, it’s all about the work — it’s all about growing and trying to learn and get better as an actor. I really got stretched doing Roman J. Israel. But I really do appreciate that people appreciate the work that we did.

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2018, 2:14 pm

Is this film any good?

What are peoples thoughts on ASD representation in the film?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 7:38 pm

I started watching it with my husband on amazon prime. I think it is probably a good movie, but it was so painful for me to watch how people treated him, that I had to stop watching. That said, I am also unable to watch any violence or horror on movies either.