Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:36 am

bumbleme wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
nephets wrote:
I have always wondered if we as Aspies were the common personality type on this planet, would we have so many problems? Society would be adapted for us, so, less noisy, more structured, more organized, less violent and, dare I say, probably better?

Seen a lot of threads over the years pontificating on this specific point...

It's easy to project what we would desire for an ideal society, but just look at the variety of views and opinions on WP and its easy to see a world run by aspies would likely have it's own issues, many similar and some quite different to our current NT dominated society.

For one thing many aspies seem to be very very inflexible...in a world that requires working in teams to meet an ever changing environment I don't think such a scenario would actually work

I agree with Cyberdad,
Also, would it really be less noisy? Don't forget that autistics also have hypo-sensitivities. You might find that your next door neighbour is hypo-sensitive to noise and that his/her special interest and/or way of self-regulating is playing the drums... Maybe some of your techniques for self-regulating would equally have a dis-regulating effect on your neighbour.

I was very interested in MBTI for a while. I tend to think that Aspies are like extreme versions of their personality type. In my family there are two Aspies - my dad is INTJ and I am INTP - and there was a lot of conflict between us when I was growing up. (The J and P difference is huge.) We seem to have more specific needs than a lot of people but often our needs clash.

Your dad's Myer Brigg profile is typical of most aspies. According to an article I read most autistic people are most likely to be INTJ’s.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2018, 11:28 am

bumbleme wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
nephets wrote:
I have always wondered if we as Aspies were the common personality type on this planet, would we have so many problems? Society would be adapted for us, so, less noisy, more structured, more organized, less violent and, dare I say, probably better?

Seen a lot of threads over the years pontificating on this specific point...

It's easy to project what we would desire for an ideal society, but just look at the variety of views and opinions on WP and its easy to see a world run by aspies would likely have it's own issues, many similar and some quite different to our current NT dominated society.

For one thing many aspies seem to be very very inflexible...in a world that requires working in teams to meet an ever changing environment I don't think such a scenario would actually work

I agree with Cyberdad,
Also, would it really be less noisy? Don't forget that autistics also have hypo-sensitivities. You might find that your next door neighbour is hypo-sensitive to noise and that his/her special interest and/or way of self-regulating is playing the drums... Maybe some of your techniques for self-regulating would equally have a dis-regulating effect on your neighbour.

I was very interested in MBTI for a while. I tend to think that Aspies are like extreme versions of their personality type. In my family there are two Aspies - my dad is INTJ and I am INTP - and there was a lot of conflict between us when I was growing up. (The J and P difference is huge.) We seem to have more specific needs than a lot of people but often our needs clash.

I can see that there are many different types of aspie. Some of us certainly are noisy. We are also frequently inflexible. However, the world we live in is chaotic and violent. I don't think many of us could be described as either of those things. Have you ever met a violent aspie? I am not buying the serial-killer, autism link, by the way. This seems like just another excuse for psycopaths to try and get away with it, or find an excuse.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:21 pm

nephets wrote:
I am not buying the serial-killer, autism link, by the way.

I didn't know such an idea even exists. :?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:24 pm

XenoMind wrote:
nephets wrote:

There does not have to be an actual link. If people percieve a link we get hurt.

Two of the most infamous mass school shootings were done by autistics. Sandy Hook. Adam Lanza’s diagnosis is confirmed in the official report, and Parkland is confirmed by several family members.

Agreed this is way too small a sample to conclude anything.
Agreed correlation does not equal causation

But people will and are making the connection.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2018, 2:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
XenoMind wrote:
nephets wrote:

There does not have to be an actual link. If people percieve a link we get hurt.

Two of the most infamous mass school shootings were done by autistics. Sandy Hook. Adam Lanza’s diagnosis is confirmed in the official report, and Parkland is confirmed by several family members.

Agreed this is way too small a sample to conclude anything.
Agreed correlation does not equal causation

But people will and are making the connection.

I am very well aware that is quite easy to get a diagnosis of ASD if you have enough money and really need one, such as if you've just committed a hideous crime and are looking for mitigation. You can see the way devious little legal minds work in these mass shooting cases. Lets face facts, NT's are always keen to turn on others and it would not take much of this sort of thing to get us all tarred with the same brush.

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2018, 1:52 pm

Aspergers is under the umbrella of autism, which is both a neurological disorder and "difference" in the way our brains are wired and do function.

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage