Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 2:00 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/ ... l/dus6c2m/

Quote:
I've worked at Google as an engineer. There isn't an institutionalised 'bro culture' (unlike, say Uber or Wall-street finance). There is, however, a huge number of single and poorly-socialized male engineers. If I had to bet, I'd say there was probably some merit to the lawsuit.

These sorts of things will, of course, be common when your environment has a volatile mix of:

A large number of employees with poor social skills: Think autistic spectrum. They can't read social cues. They can't judge how their behaviour would make someone else feel. They can't judge what behaviour is "appropriate" and "inappropriate". When you point out to some of these people that their behaviour is unacceptable, a good portion of them tend to avoid self-reflecting and instead decry, "Oppressive PC culture!" I don't mean to say that there isn't some merit to the complaints that the culture is too "PC", but just that some people with awful behaviour will rally behind that flag instead of recognizing that, maybe, they've been a dick.
A disproportionate number of single employees of one gender: Each employee of the minority gender may find themselves pursued daily by multiple "desperate" and socially-awkward employees of the other gender. Moreover, a lot of these pursuers are relatively inexperienced with the other gender and don't really know what they're doing. I've seen this happen to a couple female engineers and it sucks. Consequently, they tend to have to be on their guard all the time which can make them appear unfriendly or like they're not fitting in. And, when you always have to be on guard, sometimes you see threats when there aren't any. A more equal gender balance would be better for everyone in the long run.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 6:58 pm

That person is trying to sensationalize false impressions of the Spectrum.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 8:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That person is trying to sensationalize false impressions of the Spectrum.

You see the vote score on that comment? It's +549 as of now. That's what really matters, and that's what worries me the most.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 9:56 pm

XenoMind wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/7zzpzv/google_bro_culture_led_to_violence_sexual/dus6c2m/

Quote:
I've worked at Google as an engineer. There isn't an institutionalised 'bro culture' (unlike, say Uber or Wall-street finance). There is, however, a huge number of single and poorly-socialized male engineers. If I had to bet, I'd say there was probably some merit to the lawsuit.

These sorts of things will, of course, be common when your environment has a volatile mix of:

A large number of employees with poor social skills: Think autistic spectrum. They can't read social cues. They can't judge how their behaviour would make someone else feel. They can't judge what behaviour is "appropriate" and "inappropriate". When you point out to some of these people that their behaviour is unacceptable, a good portion of them tend to avoid self-reflecting and instead decry, "Oppressive PC culture!" I don't mean to say that there isn't some merit to the complaints that the culture is too "PC", but just that some people with awful behaviour will rally behind that flag instead of recognizing that, maybe, they've been a dick.
A disproportionate number of single employees of one gender: Each employee of the minority gender may find themselves pursued daily by multiple "desperate" and socially-awkward employees of the other gender. Moreover, a lot of these pursuers are relatively inexperienced with the other gender and don't really know what they're doing. I've seen this happen to a couple female engineers and it sucks. Consequently, they tend to have to be on their guard all the time which can make them appear unfriendly or like they're not fitting in. And, when you always have to be on guard, sometimes you see threats when there aren't any. A more equal gender balance would be better for everyone in the long run.

My impression of reddit from my time there is that it attracts a large number of NTs.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 11:16 pm

Chronos wrote:
My impression of reddit from my time there is that it attracts a large number of NTs.

And it's also well known for their all-out SJW stance, at least /r/news and /r/worldnews

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 11:37 pm

The hypocrisy projection is strong with this redditor. She wants to make everyone follow PC culture yet she doesn't follow it herself.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 11:38 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The hypocrisy projection is strong with this redditor. She wants to make everyone follow PC culture yet she doesn't follow it herself.

Yup. I think the same.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 7:00 pm

...:-(

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 11:27 am

XenoMind wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Yup. I think the same.

I hop on this band wagon as well. Though its not surprising in this day and age to find someone so ignorant.