"Asperger's Children: The Origins of Autism in Nazi Vienna"

Page 4 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 3:29 pm

The GRASP piece reads to me like a rushed out muddle of poorly connected ideas.

Of course I can understand the emotional attachment to the memory of the writer's relief at diagnosis, that's a very personal thing that many have experienced. It arises from validation, and accurate recognition, and the shift in self acceptance/recognition, not someone else's name.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2018, 4:37 am

Not sure if this is a similar enough situation, but reactive arthritis was changed from Reiter's Syndrome due to him having been an experimenter:

Quote:
Reactive arthritis, formerly known as Reiter's Syndrome, is a form of inflammatory arthritis[1] that develops in response to an infection in another part of the body (cross-reactivity). Coming into contact with bacteria and developing an infection can trigger the disease.[2] By the time the patient presents with symptoms, often the "trigger" infection has been cured or is in remission in chronic cases, thus making determination of the initial cause difficult.

The arthritis often is coupled with other characteristic symptoms; this was previously referred to as Reiter's syndrome, Reiter's disease or Reiter's arthritis. The term "reactive arthritis" is preferred and increasingly used as a substitute for this designation due to Hans Conrad Julius Reiter's war crimes with the Nazi Party.

Copy-and-pasted from the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_arthritis

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 1:55 pm

I have not noticed any decline in the usage of “Asperger” and “aspie” here since the latest findings came out. I have read about one Canadian organization thinking about it. In twitterland from what I have read there are a number of posts from people demanding the name be changed but a good percentage of them mentioned they always thought the concept or the people using those terms were ableist.

So it looks like such as occurred when the DSM dropped the diagnosis predictions of the terms becoming history or fringe will not come true. I don’t think it is because people who use the terms forgive him based on the context of his times or think of it as medical terms that have lost their roots. I think it is the “aspie” difficulty with change that will keep the terms in common usage.

We will see and I will keep on checking up on it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

14 May 2018, 4:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I have not noticed any decline in the usage of “Asperger” and “aspie” here since the latest findings came out.

For my own sake, it is the lack of any other descriptor that is as accurate. Jumping onboard with a proposed change in terminology would (to your point regarding change), be premature until there is agreement, lest I have to get used to yet another set of terminology.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 2:04 am

eeVenye wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I have not noticed any decline in the usage of “Asperger” and “aspie” here since the latest findings came out.

For my own sake, it is the lack of any other descriptor that is as accurate.
Both HFA and mildly autistic are worse, and as you said inaccurate.

Vlady
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2018, 8:49 am

I suggest ,, Einstein's syndrome " .

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 11:30 am

Vlady wrote:

I'm no Einstein. I guess I am stuck with good old "Autism"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 3:47 pm

An online petition to the British National Autistic Society to rename Aspegers Syndrome to Social Communication Disorder has around 25,000 signatures as of this writing. The petitioner is a ASD Year 11 student.

If they do rename it I hope it is not social communication disorder because that only further propogates a stereotype that at best only partially describes this subcatagory of Autism.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 4:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
An online petition to the British National Autistic Society to rename Aspegers Syndrome to Social Communication Disorder has around 25,000 signatures as of this writing. The petitioner is a ASD Year 11 student.

If they do rename it I hope it is not social communication disorder because that only further propogates a stereotype that at best only partially describes this subcatagory of Autism.

Social Communication Disorder? God, that does not describe me at all.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 4:07 pm

Vlady wrote:
That's the best suggestion I've come across so far. I think it might reinforce the whole genius thing, though, which most of us are not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 5:11 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Vlady wrote:
That's the best suggestion I've come across so far. I think it might reinforce the whole genius thing, though, which most of us are not.

I would NEVER call myself and Einsteiner or describe myself as having Einstein Syndrome.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2018, 3:29 pm

How about 'Chronically Irritated and Made Stressed and Anxious by Other People Syndrome' as a name?

At least it's catchy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 2:32 pm

UK's National Autistic Society survey about a changing the Aspergers name

Quote:
Please fill in this very short survey, so we can find out what you think about the recent revelations about Hans Asperger’s problematic history and relationship with the Nazi regime – read more on our website here. Also, please let us know your suggestions for a new name for Asperger United, our magazine written by and for autistic people.

Alex should do something similar in regards these issues. Diagnosis status, allowing members to change Aspergers related user names and
Wrong Planet about page
wrong planet about page wrote:
Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents/professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences. We provide a discussion forum, where members communicate with each other, an article section, with exclusive articles and how-to guides, a blogging feature, and more.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 2:40 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
How about 'Chronically Irritated and Made Stressed and Anxious by Other People Syndrome' as a name?

At least it's catchy.

This ^^^^^^

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 2:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Please fill in this very short survey, so we can find out what you think about the recent revelations about Hans Asperger’s problematic history and relationship with the Nazi regime – read more on our website here. Also, please let us know your suggestions for a new name for Asperger United, our magazine written by and for autistic people.

Alex should do something similar in regards these issues. Diagnosis status, allowing members to change Aspergers related user names and
Wrong Planet about page
Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents/professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences. We provide a discussion forum, where members communicate with each other, an article section, with exclusive articles and how-to guides, a blogging feature, and more.
I'm not saying I'm against changing the name, but I don't feel that I've reached the point of wanting to either.

I am coming around to describing myself as autistic more often. What has held me back somewhat is a fear that I will be thought of as exaggerating. The last time I used it was about four months ago with the doctor, and she looked at me as if I'd claimed to be a reincarnation of Cleopatra. They do have my diagnosis in their records, and she said she'd seen it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 2:47 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Wrong Planet about page
I'm not saying I'm against changing the name, but I don't feel that I've reached the point of wanting to either.

I am coming around to describing myself as autistic more often. What has held me back somewhat is a fear that I will be thought of as exaggerating. The last time I used it was about four months ago with the doctor, and she looked at me as if I'd claimed to be a reincarnation of Cleopatra. They do have my diagnosis in their records, and she said she'd seen it.

This also ^^^
I'm annoyed by people who think they know more about our neurology than the PhD doctors who assessed us.