Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 1:36 am

It seems the majority support the right to die to some extent, I believe the reason governments are opposed to legalising it because its people using it increased when they were in office it would reflect poorly on them.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2018, 2:31 am

Well, it is legal in some countries. However, in the case of America, I think it's pretty likely that it is in part because religious christian sentiments are still strong. I think that both the act of suicide and the act of assisting suicide would traditionally be considered sinful (although you can correct me if I'm wrong). This can explain why in countries that are much less religious, it might be considered more acceptable. Personally, I consider it a tough question and I'm not sure what I would consider correct, although leaning towards allowing it.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 2:39 am

We are not very religious here in the UK but its illegal and I cannot see it becoming legal any time soon.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 3:00 am

Europeans at least are fortunate to live within ordinary travel distance to the Netherlands where it is legal. in any case I already know what can be done if I need to make a quick exit with a minimum of fuss. I can do without the moral busybodies.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 3:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
Europeans at least are fortunate to live within ordinary travel distance to the Netherlands where it is legal. in any case I already know what can be done if I need to make a quick exit with a minimum of fuss. I can do without the moral busybodies.

I don't know too much about the Netherlands but looked into the most famous one Dignitas in Switzerland it would cost thousands. Americans have access to guns, if you want to do it here in Britain you have to do it brutally and risk it going wrong and your life being worse.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2018, 3:19 am

Daniel89 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't know too much about the Netherlands but looked into the most famous one Dignitas in Switzerland it would cost thousands. Americans have access to guns, if you want to do it here in Britain you have to do it brutally and risk it going wrong and your life being worse.

I don't want to get into trouble for advertising specific methods, but there are non-messy definitive methods that will get the seeker where he or she wants to go, that don't cost anything or very little. generically, the physiology can't last long outside of a certain temperature range. I knew somebody who had a stroke and had to go to a nursing home, this person lost her hunger and thirst, and she was gone within a week. guns are not infallible, too many cases of people failing and being worse off than before. the worst part is knowing what one used to be. plus they leave a mess for somebody else to clean up, not good form at all. I should conclude this with a witty little ditty by a clever person, Dorothy Parker's "resume"-
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 8:11 pm

Because most people see it being as immoral as murdering another person. In fact, it used to be more commonly called self-murder and you could go to prison for it. It might still be in some places.

Which really doesn't make any sense. A person attempts suicide and survives, but then they go to jail. As if their life didn't suck enough before. :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 8:16 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Why do you think Euthanasia is illegal?
"Here ... just sign this multi-million dollar life insurance policy naming me as sole beneficiary, and it will soon become obvious to you ..." :wink: I'm joking!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2018, 4:47 am

Cuz it is illegal to destroy government property LOL (according to some parts of the internet)
Many in hindsight are happy that they didn't end their life, and people can't handle to know they are allowing other people do die.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 1:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't want to get into trouble for advertising specific methods, but there are non-messy definitive methods that will get the seeker where he or she wants to go, that don't cost anything or very little. generically, the physiology can't last long outside of a certain temperature range. I knew somebody who had a stroke and had to go to a nursing home, this person lost her hunger and thirst, and she was gone within a week. guns are not infallible, too many cases of people failing and being worse off than before. the worst part is knowing what one used to be. plus they leave a mess for somebody else to clean up, not good form at all. I should conclude this with a witty little ditty by a clever person, Dorothy Parker's "resume"-
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

Where is Dorothy Parker when we need her? Can you imagine what she would have to say in current times?

I think it is illegal because, even if western cultures are not religious, the cultures grew out largely from Judeo-Christian religion which sees any death as bad. Not a bad premise from which to start.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 12:00 am

we need H.L. Mencken even more today, IMHO, I could just imagine what he'd be saying.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 8:07 am

^^^ Really? I don't know this guy, but wikipedia describes a man, although a great writer and wit, as someone who was anti-democracy, anti-New Deal, pro-Ayn Rand and racist and anti-Semite. Are we talking about the same person?

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:21 am

Any excuse is good to forbid something.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 2:03 pm

blazingstar wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
we need H.L. Mencken even more today, IMHO, I could just imagine what he'd be saying.
^^^ Really? I don't know this guy, but wikipedia describes a man, although a great writer and wit, as someone who was anti-democracy, anti-New Deal, pro-Ayn Rand and racist and anti-Semite. Are we talking about the same person?
We need someone to laugh at, especially after Trump (TRE45ON) leaves office.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2018, 3:34 am

blazingstar wrote:

he would still have the beefy certitude to put the orangatrump in his place.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2018, 6:53 am

blazingstar wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

Where is Dorothy Parker when we need her? Can you imagine what she would have to say in current times?

I think it is illegal because, even if western cultures are not religious, the cultures grew out largely from Judeo-Christian religion which sees any death as bad. Not a bad premise from which to start.

Suffering is worse than death. Suffering as negative value, death has neutral value.