Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Feb 2010, 8:57 pm

I can see both sides of the new DSM-V proposal debate. But what I want to say is this, calling ASD as mild, moderate, or severe might not be too accurate in my opinion. If AS is automatically considered mild, well, that is not a good idea. A person with AS might have more severe challenges in sensory than a classic autistic person. I have challenges with my sensory issues with my AS. Whereas one AS person might socialize pretty well, another may have incredible challenges. According to the current thoughts on AS and HFA---the difference is in language delay. I don't see where language delay can define severity in things other than language. There is more to it than that such as routine, interests, socializing, sensory, etc. The things other than not having language delay can create more severe challenges than mild.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:30 pm

tangerine12 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Tangerine: What mindblind is trying to say is that the words we use are arbitrary. (Think of "A rose by any other name smells just as sweet") If we change the name from Asperger's to something else, it does not change who we are or how we are affected.

So we should keep Asperger's.

No, we should get rid of it. It is disingenuous to make an artificial distinction between Asperger's and autism where none exists, and the name "Asperger's" is tied to all sorts of ideas, such as the claim that it is not a part of the autistic spectrum. It will be much clearer and more accurate to place the entire spectrum under the same characterization.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:32 pm

glider18 wrote:
I can see both sides of the new DSM-V proposal debate. But what I want to say is this, calling ASD as mild, moderate, or severe might not be too accurate in my opinion. If AS is automatically considered mild, well, that is not a good idea. A person with AS might have more severe challenges in sensory than a classic autistic person. I have challenges with my sensory issues with my AS. Whereas one AS person might socialize pretty well, another may have incredible challenges. According to the current thoughts on AS and HFA---the difference is in language delay. I don't see where language delay can define severity in things other than language. There is more to it than that such as routine, interests, socializing, sensory, etc. The things other than not having language delay can create more severe challenges than mild.

That is the problem that currently exists in the DSM-IV- Asperger's is almost always considered mild. Not all people currently diagnosed with AS would be reclassified as "mild" autism. Some would, but others would be classified as moderate or even severe. I certainly know a couple people who are now diagnosed with AS and would be classified as severe or at least moderate under the new system, and this is a much more accurate reflection of their functioning level.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Feb 2010, 9:57 pm

Thanks for spelling that out Orwell. Yes, you are right about the AS being considered a mild thing according to diagnostic manuals. That is good news that the new DSM-V has the potential to correct the levels of severity in us. I can always trust you to have accurate information on the fine details of the manuals. I know it's off topic, but it sounds like we are going to get more snow in a couple days. I think we live close. I am in the Portsmouth area---and I think you are in Cincinnati.

lithium73
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2010, 10:20 pm

I was classified as HFA when i was a kid and AS last year but the psychologist made a point that people could move around on the spectrum with little or no warning and that regressions can and do happen.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2010, 10:57 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
Stating I have "mild" or subclinical autism does not do justice to the problems that I face, and there are asperger support groups, not "mild" or subclinical support groups.

Then maybe "mild autism" would be misdiagnosis for you, and "moderate" or "severe" would be more appropriate. And I can't see how current AS support groups are going to close down because of a change in nomenclature. They'll just keep running the same as ever, and probably just add "Asperger/autism" into the name.

Admittedly, I can see a problem in how exactly they decide to differentiate "mild" "moderate" "severe" and "profound." If it's such that if you can speak, then you are automatically "mild," and that if you can't you're automatically "severe," then that would be a problem. But that's basically how it is now, though.

Not banging hot babes is not a "mild" problem

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2010, 11:20 pm

Orwell wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Tangerine: What mindblind is trying to say is that the words we use are arbitrary. (Think of "A rose by any other name smells just as sweet") If we change the name from Asperger's to something else, it does not change who we are or how we are affected.

No, we should get rid of it. It is disingenuous to make an artificial distinction between Asperger's and autism where none exists, and the name "Asperger's" is tied to all sorts of ideas, such as the claim that it is not a part of the autistic spectrum. It will be much clearer and more accurate to place the entire spectrum under the same characterization.

It's also tied to all kinds of books, videos, documentaries, support groups, history to Hans Asperger that getting rid of is a bad idea.

Max_David
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2010, 10:47 pm

tangerine12 wrote:
Orwell wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
Orwell wrote:

It's also tied to all kinds of books, videos, documentaries, support groups, history to Hans Asperger that getting rid of is a bad idea.

The way I see it, it could be a good compromise between the two if the official name is changed to mild autism, but the common name remains as Asperger's. Much like the scientific name of an animal or plant, the technical name of mild autism describes how it fits in relation to other conditions, while the common name of Asperger's describes the culture and literature already associated with the condition. Garlic, Allium sativum, is technically in the onion genus Allium, because it is genetically and physically similar, but it is not thought of by most as an onion. It is thought of as garlic, because that word is connected to our literature and attitudes towards the plant.
Whatever the official name for Asperger's is, we can still call it Asperger's.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2010, 10:56 pm

MindBlind wrote:
How about:

Autism Spectrum Disorder: Apple, Orange, Grapes

Or

Autism Spectrum Disorder: Wolf, Dog, Puppy

Only if I can be diagnosed Wolf.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2010, 10:57 pm

tangerine12 wrote:
Go ahead and google and go to amazon and youtube

Or

and let me know what you get,

and then google and go to amazon and youtube on

asperger

I object to the difficulties I face as "mild autism" as I am with a group of very gifted NT adults.

That doesn't make you not Autistic, that makes you Autistic and gifted.

tangerine12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2010, 11:06 pm

redwulf25_ci wrote:
tangerine12 wrote:
Go ahead and google and go to amazon and youtube

Or

and let me know what you get,

and then google and go to amazon and youtube on

asperger

I object to the difficulties I face as "mild autism" as I am with a group of very gifted NT adults.

That doesn't make you not Autistic, that makes you Autistic and gifted.

How about

Autism Spectrum Disorder: Wolf, Dog, Asperger

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 11:43 pm

redwulf25_ci wrote:
MindBlind wrote:
How about:

Or

I like that I want to be diagnosesd as a wolf too! I LOVE wolves

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2010, 5:17 am

ASdogGeek wrote:
redwulf25_ci wrote:
MindBlind wrote:
How about:

Or

I like that I want to be diagnosesd as a wolf too! I LOVE wolves

You both remind me of a guy on youtube.

JadedMantis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2010, 3:49 am

What the new criteria is trying to achieve is a vast improvement over the current situation. As the details have not all been released yet I will withhold judgment on if it succeeds in its goals. The success of it will be determined by the still unreleased severity criteria. What should be noted is that the severity criteria are for the different aspects. The idea is that your particular problems could be defined in more detail.

I particularly like that the social and communication difficulties are combined.

Rationale for DSM-V 299.0 Autism Spectrum Disorder:

Quote:
Differentiation of autism spectrum disorder from typical development and other "nonspectrum" disorders is done reliably and with validity; while distinctions among disorders have been found to be inconsistent over time, variable across sites and often associated with severity, language level or intelligence rather than features of the disorder.

In my own research I have been facing the difficulty posed by the above and I have been finding it much more useful and consistent when the ASDs are seen as a whole or as the proposal rationale says:

Quote:
Because autism is defined by a common set of behaviors, it is best represented as a single diagnostic category that is adapted to the individual’s clinical presentation by inclusion of clinical specifiers (e.g., severity, verbal abilities and others) and associated features (e.g., known genetic disorders, epilepsy, intellectual disability and others.) A single spectrum disorder is a better reflection of the state of knowledge about pathology and clinical presentation; previously, the criteria were equivalent to trying to “cleave meatloaf at the joints”.

Also, the cleaner structure is good:
Quote:
Three domains become two:

1) Social/communication deficits

2) Fixated interests and repetitive behaviors

Deficits in communication and social behaviors are inseparable and more accurately considered as a single set of symptoms with contextual and environmental specificities
-Delays in language are not unique nor universal in ASD and are more accurately considered as a factor that influences the clinical symptoms of ASD, rather than defining the ASD diagnosis
-Requiring both criteria to be completely fulfilled improves specificity of diagnosis without impairing sensitivity
-Providing examples for subdomains for a range of chronological ages and language levels increases sensitivity across severity levels from mild to more severe, while maintaining specificity with just two domains
-Decision based on literature review, expert consultations, and workgroup discussions; confirmed by the results of secondary analyses of data from CPEA and STAART, University of Michigan, Simons Simplex Collection databases

The release of DSM-V has been moved to 2013 to align more closely with the ICD-11 development so you can expect whatever happens in DSM to feed into ICD for those of us in parts of the world that do not use DSM

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2010, 5:46 am

I think it would be best if there is one spectrum and that's it, at least if enough evidences for that can be gathered.

That's the answer to the people who say "you aren't autistic", "you want to be special so you say you are", etc.
I'm not afraid to be associated with autistic kids. Autistic kids are angels (metaphorical...), as all another innocent kids are. I also don't like the treatment that they sometimes get.

If famous independent people who are diagnosed with AS will be considered "autistic" - that's a win for autism!

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 8:15 am

Adolf wrote:
Most people can't even pronounce "Asperger", especially native english speakers.

Personally though I think I have something related to autism which is still not classified as a separate disorder. It's not even "asperger" the way it manifests in most.

do you mind if i ask what it is?