Teacher taunts and abuses autistic boys with spray bottle

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 3:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8V7A8BqXVs
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/lo ... ray-bottle

DEER PARK, Texas - It is a shocking allegation. The most vulnerable students on a Deer Park ISD campus were verbally and physically mistreated by the very people most responsible for protecting them.

"All they know is to trust. That's all they know, that's all they know," said Sheri Graham, mother of a son with special needs.

In December, eyewitnesses blew the whistle, reaching out to the parents of three special-needs boys after leaders at Fairmont Junior High failed to take action.

"They decided to come to us because we had to know," said Kevin Graham, father of one of the special-needs students.

“They were being belittled, taunted, mocked and abused," Sheri added.

They were mistreated, not by fellow students, but by their special education teacher.

"Belittling them, making fun of them. That is not positive re-enforcement," said Tonya Lloyd, whose special-needs son was one of the kids targeted.

Parents said the teacher also used a spray bottle filled with water to discipline at least one of the students.

"This is child abuse. That is wrong in America. You don't get away with that," said Kevin, whose son was reportedly sprayed by the teacher.

The Grahams and the Lloyds have demanded the firing of the teacher responsible for the alleged abuse and a supervisor who failed to act when it was reported.

"She doesn't need to be around other kids. It's that simple," said Kevin.

But Deer Park ISD said no, claiming it found "insufficient" evidence to warrant a termination. Instead, the district transferred both teachers to different campuses where they still teach special-needs kids.

"We would not knowingly place an employee in an environment where that person would have contact with students if we felt there was any danger to students at all," said Matt Lucas, a spokesman for DPISD.

FOX 26 News has obtained this letter, written by an aide who said she witnessed the teacher spray water in the face of one student and repeatedly mock two pupils.

In document, the aide wrote, "Today's events made me sick to my stomach. Disgusted."

Special-ed advocate Louis Geigerman is representing the Grahams and the Lloyds.

"They are protecting the institution, Deer Park ISD and not the student," said Geigerman.

"He is a special needs child, he is not a policy, he is not a procedure, he is a precious gift from God and he is owed respect and he has a voice and we are his voice," said Sheri.

It is a voice that will be heard in three weeks by the Deer Park School Board which has the authority to reverse the administration's decision not to fire the teachers.

The Grahams and Lloyds said they are absolutely committed to this fight.

"It's our job not only to protect our child, but to make sure it doesn't happen to another child," said Tonya Lloyd.

"We as parents could not lay our head on the pillow at night and rest easy knowing that we didn't do everything we could do to protect these kids," added Kevin.

FOX 26 is not identifying either educator because they have not been charged with a crime.

DPISD said it has added training and expertise to the classroom in question and hopes to regain the trust of parents.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/lo ... z1pVImZ2Ms

the_beautiful_mess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

I'm at a mainstream school in the UK, and it's a fee-paying place. I was given a bursary because I got a scholarship and because the school was considered good for me as it was a better place to deal with an Aspergic than a large state school.

I was mocked and belittled for weeks by my chemistry teacher, who called me names and humiliated me in front of the class. He made sure I had no self-esteem. He used to make me take the experiment equipment back down the the technician's room, and when I came back, he would make me stand and face the wall for taking too long, or tell me off for not knowing something he had talked about whilst I was gone. He would make me do the most pointless tasks, like measure exactly five grams of sugar for his tea and things like that. Nobody could do anything about it, because it was so psychological, and we couldn't risk me being asked to leave.

Anyway, about a month ago he was dismissed for sexual assault of underage pupils and is on police bail, so who's laughing now?

'I sometimes go to my own little world, but that's okay, they know me there.' ~ Joel Hodgson

Catman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

the_beautiful_mess wrote:
so who's laughing now?

:thumright:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

Those teachers should have been fired right on the spot and not transferred.

Woofer123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2012, 5:52 pm

I am sick of stuff looked this happening.

This teacher is a childish and cruel monster.

I say charge this thing and get rid of it....I don't care how it is done.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 7:48 pm

Spray bottles of water are how you discipline cats, not kids!

That teacher is an idiot!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

DogGirlSaydee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2012, 7:57 pm

Catman wrote:
so who's laughing now?

:thumright:

:thumleft:

Aspie score: 194 of 200
Neurotypical score: 7 of 200
Conclusion: very likely an Aspie

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2012, 4:27 pm

I'm at a mainstream school in the UK, and it's a fee-paying place. I was given a bursary because I got a scholarship and because the school was considered good for me as it was a better place to deal with an Aspergic than a large state school.

I was mocked and belittled for weeks by my chemistry teacher, who called me names and humiliated me in front of the class. He made sure I had no self-esteem. He used to make me take the experiment equipment back down the the technician's room, and when I came back, he would make me stand and face the wall for taking too long, or tell me off for not knowing something he had talked about whilst I was gone. He would make me do the most pointless tasks, like measure exactly five grams of sugar for his tea and things like that. Nobody could do anything about it, because it was so psychological, and we couldn't risk me being asked to leave.

Anyway, about a month ago he was dismissed for sexual assault of underage pupils and is on police bail, so who's laughing now?

Holy s**t I'm glad he got what he deserved!

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 4:40 pm

This behavior is totally disgusting.