Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 3:23 pm

I think that it is offensive that there must be a specific symbol for autism. You don't see one for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or a bunch of other worse stuff. Why single us out? Some of us can pass off as normal.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

I'm not a jigsaw, I'm a person.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Apr 2013, 7:22 pm

DVCal wrote:

Yes, while that is my opinion. I know some here like you are offended by it, so I tried to limit it this time.

I am not offended by it, I view it as categorically wrong.

I have no issues with how you view yourself, although I wish there were support and help available for you because you sound like you are in a bad place. However, I do not think such a perspective is necessarily the only appropriate perspective to have when one is autistic. Most of my misery came from not understanding why everything was so hard, and blaming myself for not trying hard enough. Once I knew what the problem was, I was able to forgive myself.

I don't think autistic people are broken just for being autistic. I think that some experiences can have a stronger effect on us than they do on most NTs - stress, trauma, etc. can have a greater impact because autistic people do not have as many resources to cope with these things as NTs do. But this isn't broken anymore than being blind or deaf is broken. We're still whole people.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 2:29 pm

I think that, as far as coping goes, that people are less likely to try to comfort us because (at least, in my case) they don't view us as having feelings that are just the same, if not stronger, than anyone else's.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

It looks like it was beaten by an ugly stick. :nerdy: :wink:

Gaby76
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2013, 8:29 pm

Yes, it serves only as an example of the lack of empathy the NT's have for a diverse group of people such as ourselves.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

My first obsession/special interest was puzzles (I remember being taken out of normal classes to put together puzzles in early school as well), so I'm a bit biased in liking it... If it is intended to be a symbol standing for being broken/scattered, I would find that offensive.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 6:25 am

Well, like most jigsaw puzzles, we all seem to have the odd one or two pieces missing ;)
It really doesn't bother me.

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2013, 9:45 am

There is a symbol "for" us because we do not really exist. We are merely appendages to be used for money-making purposes. Thus, in order to make money, the corporations (oops, I mean "charities") have to have an easily-recognizable logo.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 4:18 am

If it signified trying to work out the puzzle of understanding and accepting us, I'd like it.

If it signified trying to work out the puzzle of making us fit in, I'd hate it.

Since it's just a stupid picture that the jerks at AutSpeaks use to make money off pity for us and the poor afflicted souls that have to live with us, I'm indifferent towards the symbol.

There are more important things to be offended over. Grow a thicker skin. Work hard, learn to act as normal as you can, and then learn to respect yourself for the effort as long as you are somewhat successful.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 6:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
HereBeDragons wrote:
Kuribo wrote:
I've never been a fan of the jigsaw piece symbol, as puzzle suggests the idea that there might be some pieces missing, which implies negativity, and Autism Isn't always a negative thing.

Ditto. Right on the nose.

That's also the same way that I feel.

This is also how I feel. It's like" a puzzle piece short of a puzzle" or" not the full quid."
It also implies that pepople with autism (or autistic people, take your pick) are little pieces that need other people or puzzle pieces to make them whole. In my experience those other "pieces" cause a lot of my problems, and not my AS per se.

But I'm getting more misanthropic with age. :wink:

Oh, and it's butt ugly.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 8:41 pm

No, it doesn't bother me at all. I consider most groups about autism to be for parents of more effected autistic kids. To them it IS like a puzzle. They spend their lives trying to figure out their kids, to fit this and that there.

For the love of all that is unholy, I would like to say that I get so pissed at people who b***h about autism groups that focus on low functioning kids and who want to speak for them. You can't speak for them any more than I can or their parents can. Just because we have one type of autism does not mean we have what they have. Each person is different, and while people here can manage to get their point across, what about those who can't? Ever thought about them?

You anticure people, what about them? How do you KNOW they aren't sitting there wishing they could communicate? How do you know they know or are aware of anything? Why is it SO WRONG to wish that they could tell everybody what they want or need or think?

While Autism Speaks does not speak for me, personally, it very well might if I had a child that I could barely communicate with no matter what I tried!

What would be offensive to me would be a helmet. Not a puzzle piece.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

justanothermonkey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 May 2013, 12:42 am

Quote:
Yes, it serves only as an example of the lack of empathy the NT's have for a diverse group of people such as ourselve

I agree that we need to have more sympathy for parents of severely effected kids. But, I also agree with the comment I've quoted. Logos are supposed to facilitate identification and understanding. They should be understandable without commentary.The puzzle is visually and conceptually confusing even after being explained.

RAADS-R: 156, HSP 18, AQ 29, AS 150 of 200, NT 43 of 200, eq 20, sq 111, rq 20, pq 14

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 6:17 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
If it signified trying to work out the puzzle of understanding and accepting us, I'd like it.

If it signified trying to work out the puzzle of making us fit in, I'd hate it.

^This.

I tend to be fairly ambivalent toward the symbol. I see my own mind as a puzzle, one that I will spend the rest of my life trying to put together to see the whole picture, so it does seem fairly appropriate.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2013, 5:50 am

It's funny because I always thought it meant that without people on the AS then NT's will never see the full picture. They will always have gaps in their knowledge and appreciation of the whole if they don't accept there are other ways of looking at things. I think there are more pressing things to get worked up about in all honesty.

Jojopa
Raven
Raven

26 May 2013, 11:42 am

I don't find it offensive as being offended by a symbol would be silly but it would be better if it was something cooler like a tiger or a lobster with a machine gun. That said...

Quote:
It's funny because I always thought it meant that without people on the AS then NT's will never see the full picture. They will always have gaps in their knowledge and appreciation of the whole if they don't accept there are other ways of looking at things. I think there are more pressing things to get worked up about in all honesty.

I like this explanation.