Page 3 of 13 [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2015, 10:55 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
Wow i'm such an as*hole for writing this.

No, you're not. I actually agree with you. I hate being autistic, and I wish like anything that I were NT. Autism has caused me so much pain, both emotional and physical, and has caused me to be emotionally stunted. Please don't feel like you have to love being autistic, since it's completely valid and okay to dislike it. It's a very difficult disorder to live with.

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2015, 10:58 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
NT is the real disease as far as I'm concerned. Willful-ignorance (intentional self-stupidity) over-powered. Just look at all of those Eckart Tolle fan-boys who genuinely believe in their « fast-food-spirituality » where they think that by simply believing that « evil doesn't exist » that « evil » (and corruption) would disappear entirely simply because you've indoctrinated & brain-washed your mind into believing that wickèdness doesn't actually exist but is somehow only a mind-created reality. I would say that ALL of the followers of Eckart Tolle & Oprah Winfrey & other « popular » sources are ALL NTs. Now take a good, very close & hard & careful look at that, then tell me that it's not more of « disease » than any so-called autisticism.

You know, my parents both have a lot of signs of autism (such as sensory sensitivities, emotional over-sensitivity, anxiety issues, and a need for a lot of alone time), yet they both like Eckhart Tolle. What's the point of being so hateful about Tolle, then? Why not just accept that his form of spirituality can help anyone, whether they're NT or autistic? You're honestly coming off as being incredibly arrogant (and rude) right now, just FYI.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 2:47 am

For me, it's not about pride but rather having no shame.

I think, for a lot of people, autism is something they are ashamed and embarrassed of, however for me I don't see why I should feel ashamed.

I get frustrated, fed up, exhausted, overwhelmed and, yes, even a little sad, but in a way I'm proud that I have overcome so much. Also, if my autism is the one to blame for my intense special interests, attention to detail and strong audio-visual memory, then I wouldn't trade it for anything. But then, I am in the unique position to have recieved early intervention, which many of us are unable to receive, so I do understand why any positive traits pale in comparison to the struggles we face.

But even if I were to say that there is nothing positive about my experience as an autistic person, I would still feel no shame about it because I never chose this and all I can do is my best. If others have a problem with that, they know where the door is.

So as long as you feel no shame, then I'm with you. But if you do, please don't - you have nothing to be ashamed of.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 11:11 am

MindBlind wrote:
For me, it's not about pride but rather having no shame.

I think, for a lot of people, autism is something they are ashamed and embarrassed of, however for me I don't see why I should feel ashamed.

I get frustrated, fed up, exhausted, overwhelmed and, yes, even a little sad, but in a way I'm proud that I have overcome so much. Also, if my autism is the one to blame for my intense special interests, attention to detail and strong audio-visual memory, then I wouldn't trade it for anything. But then, I am in the unique position to have recieved early intervention, which many of us are unable to receive, so I do understand why any positive traits pale in comparison to the struggles we face.

But even if I were to say that there is nothing positive about my experience as an autistic person, I would still feel no shame about it because I never chose this and all I can do is my best. If others have a problem with that, they know where the door is.

So as long as you feel no shame, then I'm with you. But if you do, please don't - you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Excellent Post

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2017, 10:25 am

i agree

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 8:14 pm

I'd take a cure if one was offered to me, even if it would cut a decade or more off my life, as long as it would leave me functional in the remaining time.

That doesn't keep me from noticing that there are positives to this damn miserable disease.

Doesn't keep me from taking pride in what I have accomplished in spite of it (or sometimes because of it).

I HATE THIS DAMN DISEASE. And they tell me I'm so damn high-functioning that I barely qualify for a diagnosis.

I can choose to like myself, ASD and all, anyway. Why would I want to do that?? Because the years I've spent liking myself have been, by and large, the years when I wasn't filled with rage, intermittently struggling with suicidal ideation, unproductive, and allowing people who have no right to dictate the terms of my existence to do so anyway.

I'm always weird. But there's BAD, and then there's WORSE. Shame and self-hate make WORSE.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 8:34 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
...But there's BAD, and then there's WORSE. Shame and self-hate make WORSE.

I agree. There's no point moaning about it; best to make the best of things. I have not come to the point of liking myself yet, but I at least understand.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 10:51 pm

It's not a "scourge of the earth"--but it is not delightful, either.

I think we should be "proud" when we overcome obstacles placed our way.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 1:43 am

For me, it challenges you immensely and relentlessly, this world is hard enough to persevere in without having complex issues hindering you, just getting through each day can be a monumental achievement with this specter bouncing off your bones and colluding with whatever else is grinding you down. The condition is ingrained within each of us and manifests in myriad ways and the development process has been profoundly affected and fractured, we are decorated by having navigated the labyrinth and sway of life with this thing swelling through our brains, we don't know any different. If one is proud of oneself, and identifies as an autistic person, and accepts all the degrees and depths, then we can be proud of being who we are, which is autistic. If one identifies as a person suffering from autism, who does not see it as anything but a curse and sickness, it is not the same concept of course. Every human being has a right to feel proud of their path in life and what they do to remain breathing and gaining whatever successes they can manage irrespective of what conditions they possess or do not possess.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2017, 6:21 am

Well, I would not say I was proud, but I am not ashamed.

What I would say is I am less ashamed of who I am since I got my diagnosis.

BBC: Radio 4

Vendetta
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 10:43 am

Voxish wrote:
Well, I would not say I was proud, but I am not ashamed.

What I would say is I am less ashamed of who I am since I got my diagnosis.

This is how I think. Even though I'd do anything to be "normal" I'm not going to treat my self as something that needs to be cured.

DreamsWhatDreams
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2017, 10:19 pm

Being proud of being autistic is kind of ridiculous, being ashamed of it is ridiculous as well. It's neither a badge of honour or shame. It just IS.

lasting for a very short time. See also, life.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2017, 1:55 am

Op I was feeling bad about a friend but your op made me feel better. Didn't expect a laugh out of it but grief, take a step back. Just slow down

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 2:00 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
How can anyone be proud of being autistic? You've read the statistics. A good majority of us are unemployed, live on social security benefits, don't drive, have very few to no friends, in our 20s and never dated, don't drive, don't go to college. How can anyone be proud of that? Autism makes you unique? Unique don't mean s**t when you're depressed all the time because you have no friends and can't get a job because of your differences or when you're living on your own off of SSI or Medicaid and unemployed. A good majority of us are losers; we're misunderstood by neurotypicals, we're nerds, we have no friends, we work low pay minimum wage job, our only friends are our parents. Some of us don't even parents to help us anymore.

That's the sad truth for many of you. Half of your autistic brothers and sisters will live a life like this because of autism. Yes, even many of you with HFA will live like this. Because you were born different, because you were born with autism. You never could live up to your full potential.

So tell me, how can anyone be proud of being autistic? Because I would cure it if given the opportunity.
No need to be a downer...

Justgeorge
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Sep 2017, 6:19 am

I am neither proud nor embarrassed of my diagnosis. It is a part of me that cannot be changed but can to an extent be managed. At 41 years old i have had one girlfriend and two good, true friends in my entire life and I'm ok with that. I work low wage jobs, but my needs and wants are not grand or expensive. I don't see myself as an "aspie" and i see people who aren't autistic as "NT's." Life is what you make it. People are who they choose to be. I choose to be me, to be just George, and that's what I'm proud of, not a diagnosis.
Thank you for listening.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 12:13 pm

Pieplup wrote:
darkphantomx1 wrote:
How can anyone be proud of being autistic? You've read the statistics. A good majority of us are unemployed, live on social security benefits, don't drive, have very few to no friends, in our 20s and never dated, don't drive, don't go to college. How can anyone be proud of that? Autism makes you unique? Unique don't mean s**t when you're depressed all the time because you have no friends and can't get a job because of your differences or when you're living on your own off of SSI or Medicaid and unemployed. A good majority of us are losers; we're misunderstood by neurotypicals, we're nerds, we have no friends, we work low pay minimum wage job, our only friends are our parents. Some of us don't even parents to help us anymore.

That's the sad truth for many of you. Half of your autistic brothers and sisters will live a life like this because of autism. Yes, even many of you with HFA will live like this. Because you were born different, because you were born with autism. You never could live up to your full potential.

So tell me, how can anyone be proud of being autistic? Because I would cure it if given the opportunity.
No need to be a downer...

I can not be proud or ashamed of something I was born with. That said I do think that if you do not hate your autism or even be proud(not to the point of being delusional) of it you have a better chance of not being one of the statistics cited above. I think that same idea holds true for us as a group. If so many of us did not hate ourselves(for understandable reasons) those statistics would not be as bad

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman