Page 6 of 13 [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

The Abdominal Snowman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2017, 5:06 am

Quote:
can anyone be proud of being autistic? Because I would cure it if given the opportunity.

As would I. *
I don't consider myself 'autism positive' or 'autism negative'.
I didn't choose autism. None of us did.
But my philosophy on this is that if all life ever hands you are lemons then, quite obviously, the only logical course of action is to try and turn those lemons into copious amounts of lemonade.
Because that's really all you CAN do.

* There has been some research on using the 'club drug' MDMA (aka Molly, Ecstasy, Empathy) to treat autism in adults.
The results seem promising (And why wouldn't it? I mean the drug basically gives NTs Williams Syndrome **).
They say the changes to the brain can last for months.
If so then could we be, for the first time ever, looking at an actual viable solution?
I'd like to think so but maybe that's just a little NT in me.

** Btw, ever wonder what would happen if all the popular kids back in high school looked like all the unpopular ones?
Well, you don't have to wonder. Just get on YouTube and search Williams Syndrome.
Loads of videos about this brain condition that is virtually 180 degree opposite of autism.
You're sure to find watching the vids both fascinating and uplifting.
Heh, uplifting because they, unintentionally, do a great job of undermining that meme, that is always in the background of our day to day lives, that outgoing, or 'positive' brains are somehow intrinsically better wired or superior in some way to our own all in spite of everything we learn, do, or accomplish better than those f****ers ever will (and ALL of you know exactly what I'm talking about).
Nothing kills that idea quite like seeing their kind trapped inside bodies like that. Ha Ha Ha

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm

I,m proud of being autistic because it makes me different it's better to be different than just be the same as everybody else and Just because alot of us suffer and struggle doesn't mean I and others like me can,t have a healthy happy life you just have to try I wouldn't trade my Autism for the world it's part of who I am

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 7:22 pm

I do not wish to be normal. I find being normal to be vastly overrated so I couldn't imagine being anything but neurodivergent. However it is difficult at times but a lot of my problems do not stem from the way my brain is wired it is because of the circumstance. If I had got diagnosed when I was still in school things would be a lot different.
Nevertheless the challenges that I have faced probably builds character/some sense of strength so I'm not asking for perfection. I just wish that it didn't take me so long to even get a job because of the age I am and I'm still not where I need to be because my life had been stolen from me for so long. I know I was more likely to be put in these circumstances because of being neurodivergent but not everyone who is neurodivergent goes through that so I can't blame it solely on that.

Luna035
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2017, 4:35 pm

I am proud, and I love autistic people (actual autistic people, not trolls or those faking it to get a television/writing/counseling) career. We are interesting people.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 5:44 pm

For me my Autism makes me unique and smart. I also love drawing and minecraft because you can be as creative as you want. Then another thing would be I see the world in a different perspective than everybody else and that is another thing I like about my Autism. In general I love being Autistic it makes me so happy.

August
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2018, 1:09 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
How can anyone be proud of being autistic? You've read the statistics. A good majority of us are unemployed, live on social security benefits, don't drive, have very few to no friends, in our 20s and never dated, don't drive, don't go to college. How can anyone be proud of that?

You know why this is happening? The cause is not autism but the real cause is discrimination and dehumanization.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 12:09 am

Luna035 wrote:
I am proud, and I love autistic people (actual autistic people, not trolls or those faking it to get a television/writing/counseling) career. We are interesting people.

We are pretty interesting people aren't we?

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 12:35 am

if I didn't love me, then who else [aside from kinfolk] would? for far, for the last several decades, it's been up to me. :alien:

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 8:51 pm

I'd not state I'm proud of being autistic,as I'm aware of the many difficulties I've had to deal with for a very long time and much longer time to arrive;however, I clearly acknowledge I'm autistic and try to atleast use whatever tools I've been granted to help myself and others to make life as meaningful and worthwhile overall.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2018, 5:48 am

I don't see how anyone should be proud of something that is not their achievement.
Or maybe the meaning of the word "proud" is too broad.

I feel valuable with my counter-social ways, even if they are uncomfortable and have caused me a lot of trouble. I'm the one to spot what the majority overlooks, even if it means missing a lot of things "obvious" to the others. I'm the one to remain calm when others panic and to stay alert when others rest. It's my place in the society – uncomfortable but valid.

This counter-social thinking is what I consider the core of my ASD. It's not a mental illness. Social phobia is. Anxiety is. PTSD is. Depression is. I'm working to get better with them. But my atypical social reactions and unusual ways of processing information are not. They are valid and valuable.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 1:54 pm

a lot of what constitutes the "pride" here [speaking for myself] is taking lemons and making lemonade out of 'em.

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2018, 7:33 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
How can anyone be proud of being autistic? You've read the statistics. A good majority of us are unemployed, live on social security benefits, don't drive, have very few to no friends, in our 20s and never dated, don't drive, don't go to college. How can anyone be proud of that? Autism makes you unique? Unique don't mean s**t when you're depressed all the time because you have no friends and can't get a job because of your differences or when you're living on your own off of SSI or Medicaid and unemployed. A good majority of us are losers; we're misunderstood by neurotypicals, we're nerds, we have no friends, we work low pay minimum wage job, our only friends are our parents. Some of us don't even parents to help us anymore.

That's the sad truth for many of you. Half of your autistic brothers and sisters will live a life like this because of autism. Yes, even many of you with HFA will live like this. Because you were born different, because you were born with autism. You never could live up to your full potential.

So tell me, how can anyone be proud of being autistic? Because I would cure it if given the opportunity.

I am proud of my autism because God doesn't make mistakes and it is freeing to accept myself and watch shows like the good doctor and criminal minds where genius autistic people make a really good impact on the world and cAn save lives. I know those two shows are fiction but turn the plate around and look at it in a different way. There are gifts - pouring so much energy into obsessions and really isn't it fun to be yourself? I know its hard to make friends but I had this moment where I was around someone different too and we both sat there silently occasionally every few minutes saying something and it was a really peaceful moment. There is hope.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 1:02 pm

I am not "proud" of my autism. It's just the way it is.

Just like I'm not "proud" to be a man. It's just the way it is.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 1:28 pm

if I weren't an aspie, chances are excellent I wouldn't be doing what I do with recorded music.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 3:43 pm

I am also really proud of being Autistic because I was never not autistic.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 5:08 pm

if it is a choice of being proud or ashamed, i'll take the former any day.