Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

The Atlantic: The Hidden Link Between Autism and Addiction

Quote:
A new study in Sweden, however, suggests that people with autism who have average or above-average intelligence quotients (IQs) are more than twice as likely to become addicted to alcohol or other drugs as their peers are. The risk is even higher for people who also have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This study is the first to look at the general risk for addiction among people with autism.

Quote:
Overall, an autism diagnosis doubles the risk of addiction, the researchers found. Elevated risk is concentrated among those with an IQ of 100 or above. But across the spectrum, ADHD is a great multiplier of risk: Among those with autism and intellectual disability, having ADHD increases the risk of addiction fourfold; among those with an IQ in the typical range or above, ADHD increases the risk eightfold.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 3:48 am

Interesting though I think someone with high functioning autism or high end of low function autism who maybe isn't smart is equally likely to do such a thing. it doesn't take IQ to cause someone to seek relief all it takes is a feeling of being upset which is common to many autistic people.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:31 pm

Not surprising in the least. Given that smart people are more likely to be depressed, and depressed people are more likely to turn to drugs to cope, I can't imagine being smart and autistic helping matters any...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:01 pm

Repetitive behaviors and addiction are linked. Who knew?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Mar 2017, 10:54 pm

and here I thought I got it from my dad

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:34 am

Jacoby wrote:
and here I thought I got it from my dad

Genetics probably are a more significant influence.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 10:57 am

I have autism, adhd, and a high "iq." Also childhood trauma and family history of addictions. No wonder I've had problems with opioid addiction. It's the only substance I've abused. I never drink alcohol and don't care for cannabis or stimulants.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2017, 9:53 pm

I think this really ties into the relationship between addiction and social isolation. This talk is a must-watch: