Why is "Autistic" seen as a more acceptable pejorative?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 1:03 am

It certainly seems to be the case to me that using 'autistic' as a pejorative is more acceptable than using a sexist, racist, homophobic, etc term/descriptor as a pejorative, and I don't really understand why the same indignation isn't shown by the PC police in situations where autism is being used pejoratively.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 8:16 am

I use it and it is just such a mild thing to me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 10:04 am

Autism is seen as a disease not a group so we would not fit into thier fetish level identity/group way of viewing people.

Any different thinking is seen as a anathema to conformists.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Peterbalbi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2017, 6:00 pm

Because they think of us as ill people who won't ever stand up and fight.

wariodude128
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2017, 6:07 pm

Probably because of something called "autistic screeching". Something about an autistic screeching at the top of their lungs I think. Which I have not really seen. Those who use autistic as an insult should beware though. As the image board 4chan has shown, Autism can be and has been weaponized. So if that insult continues to be casually thrown around, the actual Autistics who know how to use computers could very easily humiliate them in so many ways.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2017, 5:04 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
It certainly seems to be the case to me that using 'autistic' as a pejorative is more acceptable than using a sexist, racist, homophobic, etc term/descriptor as a pejorative, and I don't really understand why the same indignation isn't shown by the PC police in situations where autism is being used pejoratively.

My experience is that the same indignation is. When it isn't, it is due to ignorance. If this person is part of the "PC police" then they'll usually respond well to being told that their comment is offensive. If they're a jackass who is fine with racism etc. then they probably won't.