Claim failure to provide ABA is a human rights violation

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 1:46 am

Ontario family takes autism-support case to human rights tribunal

Quote:
An Ontario family has launched a human rights complaint against a school board in an effort to get a popular form of therapy for autistic children provided to their son in class.

Beth Skrt of Mississauga, Ont., alleges the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board has consistently refused to allow her five-year-old son Jack to receive Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) in class.

She says Jack has been receiving and benefiting from the therapy at an off-site facility he attends multiple days a week. Her son is also supported by education resource workers in class but she argues they are not equipped to provide the same level of therapy.

Skrt says her family offered to cover the cost of private ABA professionals to work with her son at school, but she says the board won't allow it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2017, 10:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:
An Ontario family has launched a human rights complaint against a school board in an effort to get a popular form of therapy for autistic children provided to their son in class.

Beth Skrt of Mississauga, Ont., alleges the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board has consistently refused to allow her five-year-old son Jack to receive Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) in class.

She says Jack has been receiving and benefiting from the therapy at an off-site facility he attends multiple days a week. Her son is also supported by education resource workers in class but she argues they are not equipped to provide the same level of therapy.

Skrt says her family offered to cover the cost of private ABA professionals to work with her son at school, but she says the board won't allow it.

ABA isn't right for all autistic children but it seems in this case this lovely boy was flourishing thanks to it. The school sounds like they just aren't willing to compromise. If training was an issue it seems the mother would be happy to invest in training for individuals. I think the school was making the wrong choice in this case...

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 10:56 pm

My guess is this is another set-up organised by Autism Speaks. Reminds me of how they got individual parents to lobby senators as individual voters about making ABA state-approved "preferred treatment" in recent years. Autism Speaks turns my stomach, and so do their colluders.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Oct 2017, 12:42 am

IMO, the ABA "therapy" is often human rights violation.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 2:07 am

This woman has also violated her son's right to privacy and safety. By labelling him as an autie in such a public way, she might as well have tattooed it on his forehead, because he is going to be target for every bully from now on. Gosh, I feel sorry for this kid - ABA plus a parent like this. If he has subsequent anger issues in his teens, I hope she keeps her guns locked up.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 2:39 am

Broken Sun Beam wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

ABA isn't right for all autistic children but it seems in this case this lovely boy was flourishing thanks to it. The school sounds like they just aren't willing to compromise. If training was an issue it seems the mother would be happy to invest in training for individuals. I think the school was making the wrong choice in this case...

Seems is the operative word. From the article.
“Canadian Autistics United, does not favour ABA, saying it supports therapies that "work with unique autistic strengths, instead of ones that fight against them and force normalization."

"ABA may make us look normal, but that is an illusion," group spokeswoman Vivian Ly said in an email to The Canadian Press. "The outward appearance of improvement comes with internal, emotional harm and increased anxiety."”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 2:47 am

https://sociallyanxiousadvocate.wordpre ... -left-aba/

I have read that the training for licensing these "ABA professionals" in the USA is as little as 40 hours.

What other adults get qualifications and access to vulnerable children after 40 hours of training?

Here in NZ, you have to at least have a psychology degree, and you can take ABA as a paper toward it if you choose, then elect to do a speciality in it (currently). Why then is the USA so lax? It's not really a question, I know the answer, and it involves Autism Speaks (yet again).