Page 3 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2008, 4:26 pm

On topic it is common for children with AS to be called little proffessors not so common to be called dangerous to others in a soiopathic way.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 4:54 pm

There's a problem with stereotypes and sociopaths too. Are they all charismatic charmers? Or are the ones that are more easily noticeable the social ones, which in turn feeds the stereotype?

I also think that aspies do have empathy, unlike a sociopath. They just have a different way of showing it (as other posters have said), a way that gets labeled as 'nonexistant' by NTs, mostly because they can't understand it. Sociopaths do not have empathy. They're the true non-empathetic beings, not aspies.

I don't know. I think aspies and sociopaths rule eachother out. Silva focused a bit too heavily on traits that seem similar, but it's like saying that oranges are grapefruits to me. :roll:

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

22 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
There's a problem with stereotypes and sociopaths too. Are they all charismatic charmers? Or are the ones that are more easily noticeable the social ones, which in turn feeds the stereotype?

Another possibility is that they're actually not any more charming than the average guy, but the juxtaposition of average charm and a hidden life as a killer makes people remark "Oh, he seemed so nice." The sociopath I knew was actually not any nicer than you or I, in general, but he seems impossibly nice when you consider the fact that the same person who went out of his way to help a stranger with a flat tire is also the dude in the back shed torturing animals to death. A monster's display of niceness seems more worth mentioning because it's so hard to comprehend.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:10 pm

Inventor wrote:

His bombs were crude, and never improved over fifteen years. He hated transportation.

Actually, his bombs improved drastically. By the time of his last bombs, they had become SO powerful that the investigators described the blast as being powerful enough to turn the victim into liquid. They had to remove his body in several body bags. The first ones were only strong enough to injure the arms of the victims with their blast.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:12 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

Another possibility is that they're actually not any more charming than the average guy, but the juxtaposition of average charm and a hidden life as a killer makes people remark "Oh, he seemed so nice." The sociopath I knew was actually not any nicer than you or I, in general, but he seems impossibly nice when you consider the fact that the same person who went out of his way to help a stranger with a flat tire is also the dude in the back shed torturing animals to death. A monster's display of niceness seems more worth mentioning because it's so hard to comprehend.

They're Jekyll and Hydes. (sp?)

You never expect Hydes to have a Jekyll side to them.

Torturing animals to death in the back shed? :evil: The guy must be really messed up! :evil:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 5:39 pm

I've written on this at least once before:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp850205.html#850205

In summary, no.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

22 Feb 2008, 6:23 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I've written on this at least once before:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp850205.html#850205

In summary, no.

Awesome post. I'm glad you linked to it.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 6:32 pm

I'll second that...

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2008, 6:59 pm

Serial killers often torture and then kill animals, delighting in the sadistic control and power over another living thing... In my opinion, what makes a serial killer is something that is more emotional, at a very deep level, as opposed to just a different neurological component... These people often were raised in very sick, disturbed environments and exposed to alot of cruelty and often repeated, violent, sexual abuse at a young age. (That doesn't mean that every individual that has experienced childhood sexual abuse will turn into a serial killer either -- I think it's a combination of a lot of factors). Lack of early intervention would be another reason -- they hold on to all that rage inside and secretly act it out first, by torturing and then killing animals and then, by turning the aggression against vulnerable people..

I just want to make this point too... I believe that a clear sign of someone that could become a serial killer is not only a person that tortures and then kills animals, but also someone who may actually torture an autistic person as well. Many bullies and violent-prone people will turn their aggression against an autistic person before other people, because they think it will be easier to get away with...

Experts have been finding that torturing animals is a frequent common denominator in many serial killer's pasts. Dahmer was one that tortured animals when he was younger and also had some type of need to be close to his victims and felt that by eating them, that he was somehow keeping that person within himself?? I remember reading something bazaar like that.... I think serial killers are formed by some type of severe, warped emotional pain that goes to a deep core-level of their psyche at a young age. Whatever the case, it is much different than your typical autistic or person that just happens to be on the autistic spectrum. imho

Last edited by MusicMaker1 on 23 Feb 2008, 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 7:29 pm

agmoie wrote:
To my mind serial killing is a very unlikely hobby(?) for an Aspie.Its more likely all serial killers are NTs who crave attention from others and seek to control or dominate/kill others,we Aspies just want to be left alone.

I agree somewhat. I think that Aspies are more likely to stray from that because they have to be social, and avoid getting caught whilst killing.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Feb 2008, 7:36 pm

If someone claims a relationship between being "empathy challenged" and being a mass or serial murderer, then, IMO, the burden of proof is on that individual. Hating and wishing ill of people is not a defined characteristic of the Asperger's category. Can an aspie hate and desire to inflict pain on others? Sure, but so can people who are not aspies. When writers make these kinds of claims, I always look for the empirical evidence. So far, I have not seen any evidence.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 12:11 am

J. Arturo Silva, MD Shrink, studied Forensic Psychiatry and the law, makes his as an Expert Witness, and sees High Functioning Autism as a defense.

Facing death, life without parole? Caught cold and red handed? Call J. Arturo Silva, who did the famous write up of the Leopold and Loeb killers, 1920, showing they were just poor misunderstood Autistics, so High functioning you would not notice.

If you have the bucks, J. Arturo will get you a comfy life in a mental institution, where someday you might be cured, and released.

So he picks high profile cases, and the message is, I could have helped them beat the rap.

Part of his deal is Autistics lack the ability to form intent, hence, not guilty by reason of deminished mental capasity.

He is from Southern Cal, and we do remember the Twinki Defense. If you are a murder with lots of money, and sitting in a cell, Silva will help you. He will give lessons in avoiding eye contact, and rocking.

So contrary to Autistics being profiled as criminals, criminals are using J. Arturo and AS when they have no defense. If he has his fee all killers will be AS.

So the money trail leads to his pocket. When the best lawyers can't beat the rap, see Silva.

So the whole story is an ad for someone out to beat the legal system, using Psychiatry and AS.

A Congressman in Arizona just got busted for stuffing his pockets, they got him cold, bet he comes down with AS and Silva. Stuffing his pockets is a stim.

The only thing he has to do with law enforcement is trying to defeat it.

A profile of Autistics shows they hardly ever leave home, ignore the world, avoid people, and unless you mess with their Legos, are no danger to anyone.

I did once let the parking meter expire, and drove away without putting in another coin, but I am not saying in what State.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 12:46 am

The Dark side of Nuerotypicalism: Sociopaths and Serial Killers.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Feb 2008, 12:47 am

What people believe is not really important. It is whether their claims can be supported by peer-reviewed evidence.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2008, 1:08 am

frields wrote:
Pithlet wrote:
I wouldn't mind if they worded it like there are serial killers that happen to have autism. But it's worded like autism may explain why certain people were killers. It's my belief that autistics don't lack empathy the way a sociopath lacks empathy, they just have trouble identifying and expressing (that's how I am anyway). What's more, autistics are usually very caring towards animals, and it's a red flag that a person may be a sociopath if they are sadistic to animals. There may be all kinds of overlaps in pathologies, (some are not as rare as previously thought after all), so it makes sense that some of those people could have autism. But it's pretty far fetched to blame the criminal behaviors of such a small sample of people on their theoretical autism, when that behavior is just as deviant with autism as it is with NTs.

I wouldn't mind if they worded it like there are GENIUSES/EINSTEINS that happen to have autism. But it's worded like autism may explain why certain people were GENIUSES/EINSTEINS. But it's pretty far fetched to blame the GENIUS/EINSTEIN behaviors of such a small sample of people on their theoretical autism, when that behavior is just as deviant with autism as it is with NTs.

Um, you implied hypocracy in my personal quote, but if you look at all of my posts, I never once implied that I believe genius to be the product of Autism. Your sarcasm may have a point, but not to me. Don't assume I have a default belief just because it's common.

DeepBlueLake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2008, 2:19 am

Dare I suggest not giving psychopathy such a bad rap?

Remember that the psychopathic serial killer is such a rare event that psychologists believe they should be in a category by themselves. Most psychopaths never kill anyone. They just go through life getting into endless trouble because they can't think outside of the moment. Just as we often get into trouble because we can't think IN the moment.

I'd agree with Anbuend on a recent post she made saying that psychopathy is the opposite of autism. In fact, I'd say that the spectrum may be bigger than we imagine:

THEIR END

Psychopath

Drama queen/Player

Party animal

Extrovert

(Hypothetical utterly normal average human being)

Introvert

Bookish/Geeky

Asperger's

High-Functioning Autism

Low-Functioning Autism

OUR END

My pet theory is that Autism and Psychopathy are book-ends of a range of human brain-shapes and the personalities they create. Call me a romantic geek if you like, but I like to use the ancient Viking terms, Elf of Darkness and Elf of Light to describe the two extremes.

Autism and Psychopathy are medical terms that describe a sickness to be cured, and as we all know, that's not the whole truth.

A society will always need its warriors and its inventors. To that end, nature seems to have created mutant forms that encourage this. These mutants are not bound by the traditional limitations of normal people. Psychopaths have no fear of pain or death. The autistic have no fear of the unknown. Psychopaths have uncommonly good leadership skills. The autistic have an irresistible urge to bring order out of chaos.

In just about every civilisation since time began, these traits have been valued, respected and used. Only our current society, believing only in one form of human, the consumer, ignores this.