Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 6:35 am

Bleacher Report

Quote:
In an article published Wednesday, the 54-year-old PGA Tour veteran—and the only person to defeat Tiger Woods in a PGA Tour playoff—said he received his diagnosis in 2019 and told Apstein he's finally ready to go public with it.

After years of cultivating a reputation on the Tour that Mayfair described as "obstinate and defiant," he said the diagnosis filled him with a sense of relief.

The tipping point to seek a medical opinion followed his disqualification from the Invesco QQQ Championship in 2019.

Mayfair twice found himself challenged by a rules official during second-round play—once over how long it took him to find his shot and again after officials believed he caused his ball to move before a shot. His wife, Tami, watched Mayfair struggle to explain himself and urged him to visit a doctor.

Since then, Mayfair has learned how to better communicate in similar situations on the course rather than the Tour dictating his actions.

Mayfair said his diagnosis has helped him to understand many things about himself that he never understood before, including being upset by changes in routine, not understanding jokes and his tendency to ace untimed tests while failing timed exams.

Being diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder has also allowed Mayfair to work with Champions Tour officials on certain accommodations.

Mayfair said he and Tami hope to begin charity work supporting athletes with autism and their families, too. But in the meantime, he told Apstein he wants to help set an example for others with a similar diagnosis.

"Look at what I've done in my career," Mayfair said. "Not only am I a very good athlete, I'm also a good husband. I have a great wife. I'm happily married. I have a wonderful son. I have lived, and I am living, the dream life. And just because I have this disability doesn't mean that I can't have that."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 9:29 am

Quote:
... "Look at what I've done in my career," Mayfair said.  "Not only am I a very good athlete, I'm also a good husband.  I have a great wife.  I'm happily married. I have a wonderful son. I have lived, and I am living, the dream life.  And just because I have this disability doesn't mean that I can't have that."
Que the "Yeah but..." and "What if..." excuse-makers.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.