Chronic fatigue, fibro and getting fit

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2015, 12:41 pm

I have chronic fatigue and fibro, this is quite a barrier to my very strong desire to get in shape. If you are unaware CFS is a persistent, lingering effect of viral illness (think endless mono) and is exacerbated by exercise, fibromyalgia causes extreme pain as your fascia basically sticks to our muscle instead of moving freely. If I work out I am absolutely wiped the next day and in incredible pain. This is also significant as I can't drive and must backpack or bike trailer my groceries from 1 1/2 to 2 miles away. So does anyone else have experience with overcoming this obstacle?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 1:20 pm

If you're walking/biking to the store a couple times a week, you're already more fit than a lot of Americans! It's very good for your health that your circumstances require it. Some of my friends with fibro do yoga videos at home for exercise, since it relaxes some of the tension and knots caused by the disorder. I have had good luck with following my yoga sessions with a dose of Advil, before my muscles have a chance to swell and get stiff.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 1:58 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
If you're walking/biking to the store a couple times a week, you're already more fit than a lot of Americans! It's very good for your health that your circumstances require it. Some of my friends with fibro do yoga videos at home for exercise, since it relaxes some of the tension and knots caused by the disorder. I have had good luck with following my yoga sessions with a dose of Advil, before my muscles have a chance to swell and get stiff.

Hi troll

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 8:34 pm

Jamesy wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

Hi troll

What makes you think this person is a troll?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2015, 11:31 pm

Thank you arielhawksquill for addressing that, I found Jamesy's comment quite relevant. Anti-inflammatories are a big part of pain prevention that I need to address but i don't take ibuprofen, turmeric (golden milk) is one I've used but is semi labor intensive, serapeptase seems to be having a great effect too. My concern is I feel so good doing the work and then am basically down for a few days, I have been pushing myself to do upper body, resistance band work when my legs won't work right. I have a weight lifting (4yrs), biking and Tai chi background, The slow, sturdy type, I have never been "normal" weight but I know that I am capable of much more it's just my muscles rebel at a point before actual exhaustion, there is a difference between muscle giving out under strain than refusing to respond.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 4:26 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

Hi troll

What makes you think this person is a troll?

Past comments from her

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 6:56 am

Jamesy wrote:

Past comments from her

As I recall, I caught you lying in a thread a few years ago, and you threw such a hissy fit I agreed never to comment on one of your threads again. I have abided by that agreement, but if you want to get ugly with me let's take it to the mods. Anyone looking through my 1000+ posts on this site can see I am no troll.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

Oops I was thanking Who_Am_I for moding and arielhawksquill for her comment. That was a really inappropriate use of my thread Jamesy what you did was actually trolling as your comment was irrelevant and inflammatory. So if someone has any advice, certain regimes or supplements for these ailments that would be awesome but take fighting to a mod please.

SciFiCoyote
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2015, 5:58 pm

The advice I have to share, which is just stuff that works for me:

I have to be willing to do ridiculously small amounts of exercise and then work up to more over months. Like my heart and lungs can easily take a 30 minute walk, but my muscles demand I do only 10 minutes for a few months, then 15 minutes, then....

I had to eliminate some foods I was allergic to, as they cause me inflammation/etc that makes me feel like garbage.

I had to be willing to do things like massage, fascia-friendly stretching, and so on

I've gotten mostly better after several years of this, but I'm still not totally healed.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 10:24 pm

I used to have a diagnosis of "fibromyalgia", on top of a genetic bone disease that I have that put me in a lot of pain, and I was constantly tired all the time. I too didn't know how to start exercising and overcome the initial pain and hell. I eventually hired a personal trainer, to help guide me for a relatively cheap $35/hour, for which he even came to my home. I also drastically overhauled my diet, and added digestive enzymes with every meal(which made a lot of difference with regards to fatigue).

It has been a few years but I went from being on 450mg of Lyrica, 16mg Dilaudid and 75 mcg/h Fentanyl patches(a drug 80 times the strength of morphine), being inactive, weak, always in pain, to taking nothing more than advil, tylenol, voltaren, heat, glutamine, BCCAs, epsom salt baths or doing stretches, foam rolling, self massage, for pain. Strength training has greatly improved my pain and my pain tolerance for that which remains. I also have a lot more energy and am more active these days. I still have severe GI issues that I am dealing with and working on but at least my pain and fatigue are under control. I have several deformities caused by my bone disease, it hurts every time I walk, but the pain is much more manageable.

I would if I were you, workout at home. If you can't afford a trainer, start with basic body weight pilates videos on youtube. Eliminate as many obstacles as you can that are in between you and exercising ie, traveling to a gym. I don't know if the state you are in you are even able to hold a job. If not, and you live at home, just workout at any time in the day where you feel you have the most energy to do so. The digestive enzymes mentioned above take the load off your gut which otherwise requires a lot of energy to digest your food, energy that you can use elsewhere in your day.