Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2017, 6:36 pm

This year has been the worst year for me regarding my weight. I usually gain about 5-7 pounds in winter but then it comes off during spring and summer. This year, the scale has not been moving down. Ever since spring, I have actually weighed more than what I normally do in winter. It is so frustrating. I don't eat that much differently than what I normally eat. I work out, eat vegetables, drink lots of water and green tea, but nothing is happening. I have not had this problem before. My weight usually comes off easily. I will admit that I do tend to eat junk and fast food, but I do eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, I drink water and green tea, and I exercise. I have gained over 20 pounds since I was 20. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and it didn't effect me that much. Now if I eat fast food, I blow up like a balloon and the scale gets higher. Is my metabolism slowing down? I just don't understand why I'm having such a hard time losing weight. I am 10 pounds heavier than what I normally am this time of the year. I feel like I'm trying everything, but I just keep gaining. My legs and arms are very thin but my stomach is huge. I don't know if it is water retention or if my body is having a hard time digesting. I wouldn't call myself fat, I just can't get rid of my big belly. My big stomach adds to the scale even though the rest of my body is thin.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 9:21 pm

at the end of seventh grade, age 13. weighed 100 pounds. in the beginning of eighth grade, 108 pounds.

beginning of ninth grade, 116 pounds.
beginning of tenth grade, 125 pounds.

stayed the same until age 19. down to 120.
then spring quarter, sophomore year. gained 15 pounds in 10 weeks. gorging. a lot. once ate over half of a pie (eight inch diameter) as dinner. felt angry, hateful, edgy. that was when i came out as trans (as in LGBT) in homophobic San Diego. and that was when i started flunking out structural engineering. not to mention change of schools, having to move apartments every quarter, having no precious lil "friends".

age 24, down to 120 pounds.
now 34. all the way down to 105 pounds.

where i live, though is not as cold as Ohio. the temperature difference between summer and winter is not that much. the amount that i weigh during the summer is not that different than the winter.

:lol:

yeah anyways

there are some medical conditions that cause unwanted weight gain. unwanted weight gain is a common and vague symptom. it could indicate a wide variety of diagnoses.

tell a medical doctor about your symptom(s).

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/he ... BIS9nQSEh/

on the other hand, use Kaiser's symptom checker to see if you need to go to a doctor.

at least one of the precious lil doctors that i went crying to, had the nerve to treat me like i was malingering. (munchausen's. hypochondriac.)

if you have some somrt of frame of reference, that's a little better.

gaining 20 pounds in 4 years sounds like a lot. to me. but i ain't a medical doctor. and i sure ain't a "normal person" either. :roll:

likewise, your post does not state your current height, weight, or percent body fat.

get counseling. see if it has an emotional component.

go to a nutritionist.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:00 am

You don't have to but for most people they do.

Most people have poor diets and rarely exercise except for work and housework (which researchers say doesn't count as proper exercise because it doesn't get your heart rate up).

Most people eat their calorie maintenance, this is the amount of food you need to eat to stay the same weight, if you eat more than this for many weeks and months you'll gain weight, if you eat less than this you'll lose weight.

Most teenagers have fast metalbolisms so most of the food they eat will turn into energy, even if they eat too much food a couple days a week.

When you get older your metabolism starts to slow down, for most people ths starts even in their early 20s and gets slower every single year.

In your 20s you can still get away with eating unhealthy and too much food a cople days a week, but most people in their late 20s and after have to be more careful about what they eat to watch their wight.

Other reasons are medications can cause weight gain, busy peope have less time to eat healty and exercise so they have to eat fast food because their time in the day is too short, modern foods are being

But a slow metabolism is no excuse.

It gets harder to lose weight the older you get but it's not impossible.

Many people work long hours at their jobs and so they have less time to exercise and make sure they're eating a healthy det, but again it's not impossible.

To lose weight you don't even have to exercise at all, you just have to be eating a healthy diet and eat less food than your body needs to stay the same weight.

Thanks to the internet, it's easier than ever to learn about proper diet and exercise and it takes just a few minutes each day to track your foods using a website like MyFitnessPal.

The amount of overweight people in the world today is highest than its ever been, and its mostly out of laziness.

And before anyone says 'adults have to work many hours a week, take care of kids, pay their bills, they don't have the time or money to lose weight'.

The average man and average woman have been a healthy weight for the last thousands of years in every town, city, country around the world, and some of them had to work even more hours in the day than you do, and still had to take care of their husband/wife and kids.

Overweight and obese people were always extremely rare throughout human history, and only rich people were expected to be fat because of all the extra money they had to spend on food.

- Former overweight person.

SandraH155
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2017, 5:35 am

You won't gain weight even in your 40's if you regularly do sports and eat healthy.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:10 am

I can come home from work, eat dinner, work out in the yard for a few hours, and have a second dinner without gaining weight!

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 1:54 pm

I'm in my 20s and I've been gaining weight recently too. I'm interested to see what others say too.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:22 pm

You won't gain weight even in your 40's if you regularly do sports and eat healthy.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

after a certain age, metabolism rapidly plummets. especially for women, bone density and muscle mass falls, after a certain age. that age is pretty young.

all other things being equal, eating healthfully is better than eating unhealthfully. (fine). but you have to be specific about what eating healthfully means.

all other things equal, playing sports are better than not playing sports, for the purpose of maintaining your weight. (fine). but how often, and for how long, do you have to do sports, for that to get labelled "regularly"? once a year, for seven minutes, is regular. it's just not often, and not for a long time.

likewise, it matters what sport. the bottom line is how many total calories you burn.

not all sports burn the same amount.

plenty of people eat healthfully and play sports and gain weight. and they are much younger than 40.

on the other hand, if you gain weight, you could be gaining fat or muscle.

if you lose weight, you could be losing muscle or fat.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2017, 8:57 pm

gained weight due to comorbid medications, as a kid I hovered around 60kgs and 90kgs, now Im around 140kgs to 130kgs. all because of meds, I hope it would get easier, I need to wait before I can lessen the med intake, which could be a long time.