Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
My scalp tends to be dry and flaky, so I would welcome some oil for a change! :)

If it's dandruff you could try Nizoral shampoo. It's for dandruff & can have a slight effect of lowering DHT which is a byproduct of testosterone. Male-pattern baldness is caused by a genetic sensitivity to DHT. Women actually can develop that too but it's rarer. Another potential cause of hair loss that wasn't mentioned here(I didn't see it if it was) was medication.

hartzofspace wrote:
I'd prefer to ask a bunch of non-medical Aspies first, since they are not going to push the latest popular pill at me in response to my question. I might even learn something unexpected. That is why I ask here.
Finasteride which is Propecia & Proscar is the only med specially approved for hair loss & it only treats hair loss that's caused by genetic sensitivity to DHT. Ropgaine is the only topical product that's specially for hair loss & it's available without a prescription so it's less likely that the docs would be getting kickbacks from the company. The rest of the meds would treat the underlying cause(s) of the hair loss. Like for example BetaBlockers can help reduce stress & hormone medications could help if it's due to a hormone imbalance which is possible since your around menopause time.

1ce you've done abit of research & maybe tried some stuff you can do on your own; it would be best to see a doc if your still concerned. Also the sooner you treat hair loss the more likely it is that you will be able to regrow the hair you lost.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ChildOfOmelas
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2017, 8:55 pm

Older women suffer from androgenic alopecia, just like men, though it is typically not as severe and tends to result in all-over thinning (though some women do get a bare spot at the crown). My hair stylist said it is quite common.

Here's what has helped me:
topical castor oil - I put a little in a shot glass and use a q-tip to apply to my scalp around once a week. In the beginning I did it more frequently. I leave it on an hour or overnight and then shampoo and condition.

DIY scalp tonic - niacinamide 8%, caffeine 6%, and melatonin 1% in distilled water. These are available for purchase on Amazon. I try to apply it every day in the morning. I patch tested this first on my wrist and then a spot on my scalp to make sure I would not have a bad reaction, and also to see if it actually worked.

laser hair comb - FDA approved device for hair loss; can be expensive

wild blueberries - I use around 60 g in my morning greens and berry smoothie

porcini mushrooms - I make a broth out of porcini mushroom powder and have a couple of tablespoons each day