Why is it unhealthy to lose 10-15 pounds a week?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2017, 2:19 pm

I can't imagine you are losing anything but water if that is happening. And it can. There is a debate, but I have lost quite a bit of weight and regained some. Some times if you regain weight, its mostly water from poor diet . The water gets stored in your old fat cells. There's a tipping point when the water is not just water, but the fat cells fill up with fat again. I know I have stored up to 12 lbs of water before and lost it rather quickly by lowering sugar and carb intake. That can be the case. Usually it will slow down .

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 6:53 pm

sly279 wrote:
Friend says it is but I don't see why and I need to lose around 80 more so I'll be 180 at 6'3" I don't have years I want to be attractive and find lady before I'm 30 :(
You're not giving yourself very much time Sly.

It would be easier to accomplish this over two or three years than in just a few months.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:52 am

If you're in a besieged city being starved by an enemy army, and getting zero food, then your body feeds off of its self. First your body uses up your fat cells, and then your body feeds off of your muscle cells.

I'm no doctor, but I know that the average nonobese American eats about six pounds of food a day. So to accomplish losing ten pounds in a week you would have to eat zero food for a week, and your body would have to "eat" two days worth of "food" by cannibalizing itself. I don't think that even folks being starved in death camps loose THAT much weight THAT fast. Common sense would dictate that that would not even be doable, and that it would not be healthy if it were doable.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
If you're in a besieged city being starved by an enemy army, and getting zero food, then your body feeds off of its self. First your body uses up your fat cells, and then your body feeds off of your muscle cells.

I'm no doctor, but I know that the average nonobese American eats about six pounds of food a day. So to accomplish losing ten pounds in a week you would have to eat zero food for a week, and your body would have to "eat" two days worth of "food" by cannibalizing itself. I don't think that even folks being starved in death camps loose THAT much weight THAT fast. Common sense would dictate that that would not even be doable, and that it would not be healthy if it were doable.

Maybe the average obese american.

Unless it's all veggies, six pounds is an insane amount of calories

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:35 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Friend says it is but I don't see why and I need to lose around 80 more so I'll be 180 at 6'3" I don't have years I want to be attractive and find lady before I'm 30 :(
You're not giving yourself very much time Sly.

It would be easier to accomplish this over two or three years than in just a few months.

After 30 it’s over. But it’s all pointless I’ll still be basically unemployed trash to women even if I’m thin and I’ll still be ugly :cry:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 11:49 pm

Ordered some brooks Adrenaline GTS 17 spent all day trying to try shoes on and found these fit good. Hard to find size 13 wade shoes. Also ordered a under ar,or gym bag and bought some excercise pants at Walmart. Now I have to wait for shoes. Would it be better to keep exercising in my boots or wait for the shoes?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 12:03 am

Closet Genious wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Maybe the average obese american.

Unless it's all veggies, six pounds is an insane amount of calories

Really?

Years ago when I was a kid I read that "the average American eats a ton of food a year". That works out to five or six pounds a day. So I filed that factoid away in my mind forever.

If its less than then that it just proves my point more then. If the average American eats three pounds a day then loosing fifteen pounds off of whats already on your body in a week the equivalent of your body cannibalizing five days worth of food off its self in a week.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm

10–15 lbs. per week seems impossible. Even trying would be dangerous because you could starve to death or seriously impair your bodily functions (which shut down if you eat too little).

You can lose weight fast, but doing it without doctor's supervision is very dangerous. This guy ate nothing but liquids and vitamins for about a year, but he had doctors monitoring him closely:

https://sciencealert.com/the-true-story ... mitstart=1

I kind of know what it feels like to be eager to lose weight. I found that focusing on other stuff helps. Tell yourself you are just going to follow your diet/exercise plan for now and check in with your body size in a month or so. Don't be focused on your weight right now; fill your days with other stuff, get new hobbies, volunteer, watch lots of movies, distract yourself. Maybe see a therapist or read some self-help books because you sound sad. Even though you won't lose weight or get a girlfriend right away, you can increase your ability to cope with waiting.

naturalplastic wrote:
If its less than then that it just proves my point more then. If the average American eats three pounds a day then loosing fifteen pounds off of whats already on your body in a week the equivalent of your body cannibalizing five days worth of food off its self in a week.

That is not how the human body works. Weight gain/loss is based on calories, not the weight of the food. Obviously someone who eats 6 pounds of veggies each day is not going to gain, lose, or weigh as much as someone who eats 6 pounds of burritos each day.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:16 am

starkid wrote:
10–15 lbs. per week seems impossible.
Not impossible. I did it when my doctor prescribed me weight loss drugs.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 10:18 am

If you were pregnant and had the baby, then it is possible.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 12:16 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
starkid wrote:

For how many weeks did you lose that much?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 3:40 pm

starkid wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
starkid wrote:

For how many weeks did you lose that much?

About 10 lbs per week for 4 weeks than half that speed for the next 8 weeks than slower after that.

Obviously weight loss slows down over time. In total I lost about 120 lbs. I went from about 300 lbs to about 180 lbs.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 6:43 pm

DONt have the motivation anymore. Though again starving to death would save me the trouble.

Seems I’m a super terrible person beyond being worthless trash.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 7:03 pm

You're not all that, Sly....and you know it!

I hate it when you write like that.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 3:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're not all that, Sly....and you know it!

I hate it when you write like that.

Have you not seen what everyone thinks of me in love and dating?
:cry:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 4:12 am

sly279 wrote:
DONt have the motivation anymore. Though again starving to death would save me the trouble.

Seems I’m a super terrible person beyond being worthless trash.

Sly, don't say that because if you keep on saying it there's a danger you might actually start believing it.