Do/did your parents ever tell you to eat more?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2017, 1:18 pm

When I get my own food, I eat very light. I usually have three small-ish things of different food groups and a beverage. I'm at a good weight and I'm never still hungry after eating. But my mom and dad are always worried that I don't eat enough. Sometimes when my mom is home, she refuses to let me get something for myself because she knows I won't get anything that can't be prepared in less than 2 minutes (I don't usually use the stove or oven). My parents are both slightly overweight, so I don't really see why I should take diet advice from them.

Anyone have/had similar experiences?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 2:03 pm

Yup, I've had this all my life from parents, friends, teachers, work colleagues, you name it - and I find it incredibly irritating!

I have always been very thin and lanky, but I don't have any diet related health problems or eating disorder that I know of, and I rarely lack the energy to do whatever I want to do - and that often means walking ten miles or more in a day in a hilly part of the country (usually very briskly too!)

When people comment on the quality of the food I eat, I don't mind quite so much, as I recognise that I do have problems with shopping, planning meals, preparing food etc. and I do eat at odd times of day sometimes. But I've never felt as if I'm wasting away to nothing, or that I'm about to keel over, and I loathe being talked about as if I'm a turkey that needs fattening up for Xmas!!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Nov 2017, 8:11 pm

People worried I would die when I was little because I would barely eat anything due to being an extremely picky eater.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 6:07 am

My mum used to do this, struggled with an eating disorder back in my late teens and all the highly noticeable behaviours that went with it naturally put her on high alert about what I was eating. In the better half of a decade after I recovered she has pretty much switched her concerns to her own eating and my younger brother's however, telling him he needs to eat less! She's lost a huge amount of weight after initially discovering her high blood cholesterol, and probably worries my brother will go the same way, as he is quite overweight already.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 8:07 am

Yes, I used to hear it all the time. I never understood what the big deal was (other than being made fun of for being skinny) until I recently saw pictures of myself in my mid teens. Wow, I looked like a kid in a refugee camp at times! No wonder Mom wanted me to eat more: social services would probably have ended up visiting our home.

Prior to that, I used to be able to eat two McDonalds meals or one entire medium pizza for lunch and still kept losing weight.

Fig Putin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2017, 4:02 am

That happens with me every day, but with good reason. I take amphetamines for ADD (prescribed, of course), so I don't really feel hungry until late at night. It can get bad enough to cause problems like shaking, confusion, and lightheadedness. People keep telling me to eat more, but they just don't understand that I simply can't eat when I'm on my meds. I have a few friends with the same exact problem.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 7:19 pm

Yes, every day. I was never a picky eater. I just didn’t care about food and got full quickly. When I was little, my parents chased me around to feed me because otherwise I would just not eat, or I’d eat very little.

wadewilson
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2018, 4:08 am

of course yesss, but I'm okay with that

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 7:47 pm

My parents do. They think I am too skinny and need to eat more and put on some weight. This annoys me because I am at a normal BMI and we are so used to seeing overweight people and people being a size 14/16 or a 10, we don't even know what healthy weight looks like anymore and what normal weight is so we think anyone is too skinny now and accuse anyone of having anorexia.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2018, 1:08 pm

League_Girl wrote:
My parents do. They think I am too skinny and need to eat more and put on some weight. This annoys me because I am at a normal BMI and we are so used to seeing overweight people and people being a size 14/16 or a 10, we don't even know what healthy weight looks like anymore and what normal weight is so we think anyone is too skinny now and accuse anyone of having anorexia.

BMI is a poor measure for individual health. It was made to track the pverall health of entire countries and does not work when applied to an individual. FFMI or body fat % is a much better test for individual health.
BMI puts me as obese. My FFMI is 22, which is higher than the average adult. In FFMI higher scores are better. Average for a teen like me is around 16-17