Has anyone here done a heavy metal detox?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2017, 11:09 am

That's so unlike what I know as liver cleanses, it sounds more like an intestinal cleanse. Which is an essential first step to cleansing the liver, as if the pipes are clogged, junk from the liver can't be pooped out, and gets reabsorbed into the body. I'm very intrigued by alternative medicine anyway, if I ever become rich, maybe that's something I should invest my money in, funding studies to show that alternative treatments really do work. There's not enough of these studies, as it would be bad for Big Pharma's profits.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Boourns
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2017, 3:30 pm

OK. However, there have been alot of studies on this already (at least insofar as the individual ingredients), I've already linked some in my previous replies (e.g. the fumic/humic acid one, which was a small-scale study to determain whether this could potentially remove heavy metals from the blood after ingestion, and it was found that it could, although there was concern about how it caused rapid excretion of other minerals (in this case manganese) and did not dwell on long-term impacts; I've based my assessment on whether such a treatment would be harmful on these and similar studies. I do agree, however, that human studies are more rare, but I'm sure you can agree that this is for good reason.

Modern studies also have to include details of how they were financed or directed (as part of special interests - this is important in, for example, studies on whether certain brands of margerine can lower cholesterol). You will notice that alot of the treatments you describe will contain ingredients (if indeed it lists them at all) that are 'certified'by one board or another, or it will cite studies to prove efficacy of the ingredient. I think that we can be sure that in most, if not all, cases the impact of the specific formulation has not been properly studied. I think it's also unlikely that such ingredients would not be used by big pharma if they were effective (because they are cheap).

Finally, my concern again moves to quality control. For example, the quality of the ingredient 'chlorella' varies in extreme, with certain cultivation methods (i.e. the cheap ones) being, frankly, unhealthy. Because they don't properly list a formulation (as far as I can tell), then how do you know that one bottle is as good as another? They could change important aspects of the formulation batch to batch, without the final consumer being aware.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 11:37 pm

Hi Shakti (and Boourns). You're welcome, and I will look forward to you sharing your results. Like you, I utilize alternative medicine (Chinese herbs, for the most part) to treat the root cause, as well as a preventative approach. Since you're on the topic of Liver health, I wonder if you know of the benefits of milk thistle, red root, dandelion, reishi and agaricus mushrooms. All are excellent for detoxification of the liver, as well as maintaining healthy liver function. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I think you mentioned that one of your special interests is alternative medicine. It is one of mine, as well. : )

Shakti wrote:
Definitely, the gut is the missing link for ASD that really needs to be discussed more. I read about charcoal a bit more yesterday, and I kept reading to not take it within an hour of any other supplements or medications, otherwise they're not likely to be effective.

And thanks again. If this gives the results I'm hoping for, I'll be sure to share. I think whether it's mainstream or alternative medicine, it's a crapshoot either way, but it can be an informed one. Big Pharma claims they use better quality control than alternative medicine, but considering the additives put in medications, vaccines, etc, you just can't trust it. I really like alternative medicine's approach of treat the root, not the symptoms.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2017, 2:11 pm

Alternative medicine is a great special interest for as many of us as possible to have, seeing as I've noticed mainstream health care does with autism the same as they have done with cancer, kept it a manageable but untreatable condition, as it's more profitable that way. If we stand up and take our power back, autism won't be considered a condition, it'll be considered another valid way of thinking! ;)

Big Pharma isn't great at quality control either if you think about it, prime example being how unsafe our vaccines are. I still think kids need to be vaccinated, though not with as many as what's normally recommended, and they definitely need to be safe. There is no reason why they need to put mercury in vaccines.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 2:20 pm

Some forms of alternative medicine are probably great, and I personally think alot of health issues can be solved by diet and exercise. A diet high in fat and fiber has been shown many times to be very effective against diabetes for example.
But I don't think it's useful to think of all medical doctors and pharmacists as evil people.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2017, 3:53 pm

I don't think of them as evil people, I have dealt with some awesome ones. But if I ran the world, everyone going to medical school would have to study both alternative and mainstream medicine, so then they'd have the best option to choose from.