Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MartynRich
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2018, 1:17 pm

Is anyone doing a keto diet? I’ve been on it three weeks now. I do feel slightly better but god it’s tough to organize, especially with two young kids. It’s pricey as well.

Oh yeah, I miss bread.

Anyone doing this and do they have any tips?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:26 pm

I generally only recommend it for people with insulin resistance.

I experimented with keto a couple of years ago, and I've found that I have an easier time getting lean with carbs in my diet. Also it's a bit easier to build muscle with carbs too.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 9:03 pm

I’ve recently also been doing this but mainly for my seizure disorder. I don’t completely cut all the carbs out because I simply can’t afford to only live on protein. Usually I stick with some healthy carbs like fruit and whole grain.

Right now I’m feeling better but it’s something I really have to put discipline on. I’ve noticed my mind feels a lot more clearer. I tried the all protein diet without carbs and while I did lose weight, it was expensive and I felt exhausted having to constantly check for any carbs and at the same time craving them.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 3:17 am

I've been on keto for around a year now.
I do some carb cycling with it otherwise I lose too much weight, and I was like a stick insect to start with so I can't really afford that.
Keto is more about fat than protein, I don't actually eat that much protein.
I recommend fat bombs if you want to get your fat percentage up (lots of recipes out there).
I freeze them in ice cubes trays and eat them throughout the day.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 8:05 am

I 've been doing keto for a couple years and also have a young child. Basically, I make us the same food but add a grain to her meal and double the veggies and oil for me. She gets an egg cheese avocado sandwich, I get eggs with spinach and avocado and all the avocado oil left in the pan. If I fill my freezer with frozen veggies and meat, it's not too much more expensive or time consuming. I eat keto for insulin resistance and hypoglycemia so I've switched completely, no interest in bread at this point because I know how it will make me feel. When I crave sweets, I do coconut cream with stevia and a pinch of sea salt, maybe even with a spoon of cacao nibs sprinkled on top.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:28 am

I'm doing keto for several years. I didn't intend to lose weight, but lost about 10 kg. I decided to go keto for mental clarity and health. It really helped with both. I forgot about some chronic health issues and having more mental clarity and energy totally helps to deal with challenging situations I frequently face as a person with ASD.

My tip would be:

Do not try to replace non-keto food with some keto analogs. Like keto-bread, keto-pizza, keto-whatever.

Just fully embrace this as lifestyle and enjoy great food which naturally fits keto guidelines, just like if you moved to another country and enjoy their local kitchen.