What does physically fit mean these days?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 9:59 pm

I weigh over 200 pounds and was told to lose 50 to 60 pounds if not more and have attainable goals. When I weighed 195 I was able to handle a lot of jogging, no knees or joint pains and had amazing curves (my waist was the smallest part of my measurements and was in the 30" range).

But here's the catch. My eating habits were terrible. I ate chips, cupcakes and burgers and never went to the gym.

Now my waist is over 40 inches which is not fun because I look pregnant in certain dresses and I'm terrified of heart disease. My cholesterol is high. Somehow I still dress very well. I exercise and am eating healthy with an occasional pizza or dessert which makes my knees swell.

I asked my dietician, "do I need to weigh 106 or 110 pounds to be physically fit?" And I was told no and to have an attainable goal.

It's confusing. I really don't feel the desire to be super skinny because I love being curvy. The last time I was super skinny was when I was in elementary school. I was a girl. Now at 25 years old I prefer my body to be toned and curvaceous.

What is physically fit these days? Does it depend on the person?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 9:54 pm

I wonder about that too, I guess it is being skinny & healthy. I need to lose alot of weight, I don’t want to be super skinny.

PlanarFracture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2018, 11:27 am

I've enjoyed various sports for many years, and have witnessed people much heavier than me possessed of truly enviable fitness and stamina. Weight can obviously be a gauge for physical performance in sports and general health, but it by no means has the final word regarding fitness.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 12:04 pm

If you’re male, it means there are more guys you can beat the s**t out of than guys who can beat the s**t out of you. If you’re female, go figure!

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:25 am

It's not absolute weight what's important, but optimal lean body mass to total mass ratio.

Physically fit person should have enough strength to manipulate own weight. Body weight exercise is a good benchmark, e.g. if you can do 30-40 proper push-ups, 50 sit-ups and like 15 pull-ups you are physically fit.

Some overweight people have low lean body mass, basically malnourished anorexics under all the fat. This is not healthy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:39 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I weigh over 200 pounds and was told to lose 50 to 60 pounds if not more and have attainable goals. When I weighed 195 I was able to handle a lot of jogging, no knees or joint pains and had amazing curves (my waist was the smallest part of my measurements and was in the 30" range). But here's the catch. My eating habits were terrible. I ate chips, cupcakes and burgers and never went to the gym. Now my waist is over 40 inches which is not fun because I look pregnant in certain dresses and I'm terrified of heart disease. My cholesterol is high. Somehow I still dress very well. I exercise and am eating healthy with an occasional pizza or dessert which makes my knees swell. I asked my dietician, "do I need to weigh 106 or 110 pounds to be physically fit?" And I was told no and to have an attainable goal. It's confusing. I really don't feel the desire to be super skinny because I love being curvy. The last time I was super skinny was when I was in elementary school. I was a girl. Now at 25 years old I prefer my body to be toned and curvaceous. What is physically fit these days? Does it depend on the person?

I am guessing you are at least 5'8" tall. so going by that height, when you were @195# [am guessing more like #190 in your b-day suit] your BMI would have been 29 or so. that is technically overweight but not quite obese. if you have big bones and move gracefully, that is not automatically a problem at your age, but when you get older and gain more weight, it will literally weigh on you [no pun intended] in terms of premature joint wear. if I was in your shoes, I would take pains to keep it under 200. once you get back under that threshold, then you can decide better what you feel like doing.