Ever feel like you've been stabbed from the inside?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 11:11 pm

Ever so often, I get this stabbing pain in my belly just inches above my belly button.

It's just all of a sudden, no warning, just *bam*! It's as though someone pierced me with a 6 gauge needle from the inside piercing outward and it stings like a mofo. It goes away as quickly as it comes on. I just want to know what causes it.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 11:42 pm

Anytime you get a sharp pain in your gut, it's probably not good.

Don't ask us. Ask a doctor. Quickly, in case it's something really serious.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 11:52 pm

digger1 wrote:
Ever so often, I get this stabbing pain in my belly just inches above my belly button.

It's just all of a sudden, no warning, just *bam*! It's as though someone pierced me with a 6 gauge needle from the inside piercing outward and it stings like a mofo. It goes away as quickly as it comes on. I just want to know what causes it.

Got it!! ! But don't be alarmed. Both my AS husband and I've had scopes, ultrasounds, ct scans, and all kinds of stuff. The worst it likely is, is an ulcer but more likely acid reflux. They'll test you for a virus - something discovered by an Australian Nobel Health prize weener - but that's all I remember.

Nexium oughta fix you right up but you may never be able to eat at the Waffle House again. (Or the Northern equivilant.)

It could also be a panic attack. Or all the above.

Cold water helps. So, does Tagamet 150. And xanax.

Seriously, the odds are with you. Don't worry.

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2009, 4:38 am

In response to the subject title, yes, but only in my head. It's usually behind one eye, like someone driving an ice pick or screwdriver into the back of my eyeball over and over again. One time I felt it in the very top of my head.

@MmeLePen

Why can't you eat at the Waffle House?

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 7:38 am

It's not my stomach. It's either in the dermal layers or the muscle - what muscle there is... :?

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 8:36 am

digger1 wrote:
It's not my stomach. It's either in the dermal layers or the muscle - what muscle there is... :?

Does it happen right after you've bent down or contorted to reach something? Occassionally, I will yank a muscle somewhere in there and I have to just lie there until it goes away. Kind of like a muscle cramp in the calf. It usually only lasts 30 seconds or so.

It didn't start happening until I was in my 30's - so it was freaky at first. Naturally, being "recovering" hypochondriac I thought it was a heart attack. 8O

I get people telling me I need to eat more bananas or drink more water. It doesn't happen often enough for me to go changing my lifestyle and it doesn't last that long. The only time its inconvenient is when I do it in the car - trying to reach something in the back seat.

I dunno...just another theory.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 10:38 pm

digger1 wrote:

Glad to hear it's in the muscle -- that means it's probably not serious.

It could be a pulled muscle or cramp like MmeLePen said.

I had similar symptoms at the onset of my rheumatoid arthritis. The average ages for onset are between 20 and 40, so you're about the right age for it. Stress exacerbates it, and you mentioned in another thread that you were having trouble with your neighbor.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 10:57 pm

CelticRose wrote:
digger1 wrote:

Glad to hear it's in the muscle -- that means it's probably not serious.

It could be a pulled muscle or cramp like MmeLePen said.

I had similar symptoms at the onset of my rheumatoid arthritis. The average ages for onset are between 20 and 40, so you're about the right age for it. Stress exacerbates it, and you mentioned in another thread that you were having trouble with your neighbor.

Rheumatoid Arthritis... :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

f**k it. AS is nothing compared. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

OK - now I need to go off to my happy place. Later...

aspie_giraffe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2010, 4:07 am

i would suggest poor posture or indegestion possibly constipation*that really hurts the muscles

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2010, 12:32 pm

The sudden onset stabbing pains above the belly button sound like the first symptoms of a gall bladder going bad. I went through this in 1998 and that's how my attacks started. I finally ended up having it removed in a complicated surgery because I diden't act soon enough.