Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

Willard wrote:
If I could afford it, I would rarely eat anything but big salads. Unfortunately, I can spend more than fifty bucks in the produce section just buying stuff for salads that will only last me a couple of days, and on Disability, that's half my grocery budget for the entire month. :(

You should get a sprouter. You just take some seeds, soak them overnight, then spread them out in the trays and pour a cup of water over them every morining and night, and in 3 days you've got salad. That means if you stagger when you fill each tray you get salad every day. The seeds will last for ages, and they're really cheap too, considering how much you get.

Or you could go all the way and try Window Farms.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 8:28 pm

By switching to a semi-Mediterranean diet, I lost 10 lbs. But I need to be active to lose the next 40 or so.

But they do not have me

NeenBean
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2010, 8:47 pm

I had problems with my weight from around third/fourth grade all the way up through high school and my first couple years at college. Now I've lost over 40 pounds, and I'm my ideal weight (fluctuating around 115-118 depending on certain factors). I can't say its improved my relationship with or trust in other people, but I certainly feel better about myself. I never thought I'd enjoy shopping for clothes. :)

Everyone can do it. It took me two or three years, because I did it very slowly and without any drastic changes other than putting a stop to my ridiculously sedentary way of living.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:30 am

NeenBean wrote:
I had problems with my weight from around third/fourth grade all the way up through high school and my first couple years at college. Now I've lost over 40 pounds, and I'm my ideal weight (fluctuating around 115-118 depending on certain factors). I can't say its improved my relationship with or trust in other people, but I certainly feel better about myself. I never thought I'd enjoy shopping for clothes. :)

Everyone can do it. It took me two or three years, because I did it very slowly and without any drastic changes other than putting a stop to my ridiculously sedentary way of living.

well done!
:flower:

thats great that its made you feel better about yourself. Im so pleased for you :D

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:32 am

Apera wrote:
By switching to a semi-Mediterranean diet, I lost 10 lbs. But I need to be active to lose the next 40 or so.

Thats really good, the health system says the first 10% of fat off, makes the biggest health difference and you have lost more than that so thats brillient! :sunny:

what activity are you planning to do?

I like doing exercise dvds and weights.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 1:35 am

Willard wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
big salads are the best!

If I could afford it, I would rarely eat anything but big salads. Unfortunately, I can spend more than fifty bucks in the produce section just buying stuff for salads that will only last me a couple of days, and on Disability, that's half my grocery budget for the entire month. :(

So I have to settle for the occasional splurge with a coupon at an all-you-can-eat restaurant with a big salad bar, or a trip to Subway, where they ask "What would you like on your salad?" and I tell them "EVERYTHING! and LOTS of IT!" :P

I know what you mean, fresh food is so expensive :x

Im lucky as there is a lidl just down the road from me and its veg and fruit are a 1/4 the price of tesco.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 1:29 pm

I quit smoking today and was very good and did not eat any extra food.

I was worried I would eat loads with the cravings but Ive been able to keep control.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 2:21 pm

I've been doing well recently. My family has been eating brownies, ice cream, and very very fatty things. I have resisted by eating plain frozen grapes or , when I'd want something fancier, strawberries with some fat-free whipped cream on top. Sadly, I think I pulled a muscle in my lower back while exercising today so I don't think I'd be able to do my exercises for at least a week. :(

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 2:23 pm

lotusblossom wrote:

That's what I'm doing. Yaaay kettle bell weights. My arms are so much more toned than they were before I started and I have much less back fat now. Seriously I've gone from having three rolls of fat on my back to just having some padding back there. I'm soooo happy about that. My bras fit soo much better now. ^_^

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:10 pm

Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:

That's what I'm doing. Yaaay kettle bell weights. My arms are so much more toned than they were before I started and I have much less back fat now. Seriously I've gone from having three rolls of fat on my back to just having some padding back there. I'm soooo happy about that. My bras fit soo much better now. ^_^

Thats great! yes Im prone to back fat too :x

Ive got a kettle bell, its fantastic but expensive, when I get more money I will buy heavier ones.

hope your back gets better soon :D

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:12 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:

Ive got a kettle bell, its fantastic but expensive, when I get more money I will buy heavier ones.

I have a 10 pound and a 15 pound kettle bell. I don't think I'll be increasing that weight anytime soon since I managed to injure myself with what I have. :(

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:20 pm

Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:

I have a 10 pound and a 15 pound kettle bell. I don't think I'll be increasing that weight anytime soon since I managed to injure myself with what I have. :(

thats quite heavy for a begining woman, you probably shoulda started with 5 pounds. Make sure you hold your tummy muscle in tight when you exercise as it protects the back.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 3:39 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:

thats quite heavy for a begining woman, you probably shoulda started with 5 pounds. Make sure you hold your tummy muscle in tight when you exercise as it protects the back.

I did use 5 pounds for the first 3 weeks. I handled it okay so I went to 10. I recently added the 15 for the lower body which was probably a mistake. D:

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:04 pm

Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Erisad wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:

I did use 5 pounds for the first 3 weeks. I handled it okay so I went to 10. I recently added the 15 for the lower body which was probably a mistake. D:

no that sounds the right sort of increase (every 3 weeks), I should think you just got distracted for a minute and used improper technique (easy to do). When your backs better remember to keep your tummy pulled in to prevent it happening again.

Its so good your working hard :flower:

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 4:07 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
no that sounds the right sort of increase (every 3 weeks), I should think you just got distracted for a minute and used improper technique (easy to do). When your backs better remember to keep your tummy pulled in to prevent it happening again.

Its so good your working hard :flower:

That's probably what happened. I may have leaned too far forward while doing the dead lift. It makes me sad. I'm now laying on the couch with a heating pad. I feel like an old lady. >.<

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 5:40 pm

I've been dieting and exercising seriously for about 2 months now - had a few episodes where I cheated but for the most part I've stuck with it. I don't weigh myself often (don't own a scale) and heaven only knows how consistent scales are but on different scales I've gone from about 151 to 136 lbs last I weighed myself (about 2 weeks ago). Main goal was to lose belly fat / love handles and am pleased with progress so far but still have a ways to go. Still, big difference when I look in the mirror, and its nice to have my pants button easily and even be loose for a change, instead of worrying that I'll pop the button or snap if I exhale or sit down.

Diet-wise, I've been having a meal replacement shake for breakfast, about 10 raw almonds morning snack, usually grilled chicken + steamed veggies for lunch, about 3/4 cup non-fat ricotta cheese or a protein bar for afternoon snack, and some sort of fruit for dinner (usually some grapes or a grapefruit). Not terribly exciting and I need to find a way to introduce more variety into it without torpedoing the nutritional / caloric aspect of it, but I've gotten used to it and can pretty much handle it now - the toughest is being in social situations where other people are eating whatever they please and I'm trying to be good. For me the toughest part is cutting out starchy foods - breads / pastas, corn chips, etc., but this is what I've made a point to do. Also made it a point to not eat after 6 or 7PM at the latest.