Yes I bloody am, keep away whoever has it!! ! 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Sometimes. 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
I never even thought about it really. 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 21

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:08 pm

It was April 2009 when the swine flu was first noticed in the UK, and it went on right through the spring into summer, then by the time autumn came, I didn't hear so much about it and just forgotten about it. Now it's a year and 4 months later, and it's suddenly back again, causing me major anxiety again (on top of the government's cut-backs). But the worst part is - lots of close loved ones in my family suffer with health problems in their lungs or chest, and I am just terrified of loosing people I love over a stupid flu what shouldn't even be here. I suffer with sinus problems so I don't know if it can kill me aswell or not.
I am hoping my family will be OK, because despite some having health problems, they don't catch many colds, which means they are generally healthy, and I'm hoping the swine flu won't kill them. But it worries me so much.

I know people can die anyway, for example by getting knocked down by a bus or an airoplane crashing into a building we could be in, but the swine flu is more likely to occur, plus it spreads to other people. The annoying thing is, people know they have a temperature and are feeling unwell, yet they still go out and start coughing and spluttering everywhere, and that's how it mutates. I WISH it never came back to the UK again, and I WISH it didn't kill people with health problems, and I WISH it wasn't as common as it is.

Oh my god.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:30 pm

I'm not worried about the swine flu any more than I'm worried about getting killed by a terrorist or being beaten by a bully.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:39 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It was April 2009 when the swine flu was first noticed in the UK, and it went on right through the spring into summer, then by the time autumn came, I didn't hear so much about it and just forgotten about it. Now it's a year and 4 months later, and it's suddenly back again, causing me major anxiety again (on top of the government's cut-backs). But the worst part is - lots of close loved ones in my family suffer with health problems in their lungs or chest, and I am just terrified of loosing people I love over a stupid flu what shouldn't even be here. I suffer with sinus problems so I don't know if it can kill me aswell or not.
I am hoping my family will be OK, because despite some having health problems, they don't catch many colds, which means they are generally healthy, and I'm hoping the swine flu won't kill them. But it worries me so much.

I know people can die anyway, for example by getting knocked down by a bus or an airoplane crashing into a building we could be in, but the swine flu is more likely to occur, plus it spreads to other people. The annoying thing is, people know they have a temperature and are feeling unwell, yet they still go out and start coughing and spluttering everywhere, and that's how it mutates. I WISH it never came back to the UK again, and I WISH it didn't kill people with health problems, and I WISH it wasn't as common as it is.

Oh my god.

Yes, H1N1 has made an impact in the UK. In Scotland, there were 6 deaths just last week. I became ill in middle November with flu-like symptoms. Symptoms abated, somewhat, for about 10 days and I thought I was finally recovering. On Wednesday I went to my GP and I have bacterial pneumonia. I cannot say I'm surprised....sigh. But the antibiotics are already helping!

Only "vulnerable" individuals in the UK may receive the flu vaccine but I think it may have been a wise idea to offer to all, if they so chose.

You'll be OK, Joe90 - Drink plenty of tea :)

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2011, 5:46 pm

This probably won't reassure you in any way but I had swine flu last autumn and I recovered fine. I started feeling somewhat ill on a Sunday evening, and I left the house on the Friday evening for a family friend's birthday party, with only minor cold-like symptoms by that point. By the following Sunday I was totally fine.

Also, those with health issues such as asthma etc are able to get a vaccine for swine flu, as far as I am aware?

So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try to keep your immune system strong with a healthy diet, exercise, enough sleep, and a good hygiene routine. I am sure you and your family will be fine.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 6:11 pm

I was a victim of swine flu and weren't on the news but I can tell you one thing, you are not in risk....

The ones that are in most risk are:
- Children under 5.
- Pregnant Women.
- Some mental health patience.

Other than that, you'll most likely survive through it, treat it exactly the same way like you do with a flu and it should go away and another thing, it wasn't as bad as the common flu.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 6:27 pm

/is germophobic

/walked into a building that had people with the Swine Flu without bothering to put on a mask until he was yelled at for not wearing one

Seriously. The media has figured out that the best way to sell itself is to induce panic. Every newspaper/news report they put out is like those Autism Speaks commercials. Every single one of those is a commercial about itself.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 7:21 pm

My son who was 4 at the time got it in Fall of 2009. He ran a fever for about a week and had a cough that lasted a couple of weeks. We just kept him home for a week, and alternated between ibuprofen and tylenol. He was fine after about a week. I also got it myself, and I was sick for about a week with a cough that lasted about 2 weeks. I actually had a sinus infection at the end of 2009 that was much worse. If you or your family comes down with it, I would advise just getting plenty of rest and monitoring your symptoms. Try not to worry too much!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 7:24 pm

You didnt have a poll option for "Do think about it, but still not worried"
With last years scare, in order not to need a vaccine, I started taking vitamin D tablets, google vitamin D and flu, I havnt had even a cold since.

As for swine flu, dont worry about it, so 50 people have died of it, do you know how many people die each year of ordinary flu?, and they never create a media hype about that.

Fact is, some of us are old enough to remember when they tried this Swine flu/buy our expensive vaccines hoax over 30 years ago, back then about 2 people died from swine flu, and about 40 from the vaccine.

Heres a couple of adverts us oldies remember from the mid 70s!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibLqwVbsk[/youtube]

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 7:24 pm

I am quite worried, but hey, if it kills me, then thats how it ends. I absolutely hate the media and the government for hyping it and causing more panic. One of the front covers of The Daily Mail newspaper was 'SWINE FLU AND VOMITING BUG SOARS!! !" or something like that.

It scared the hell out of me. Swine Flu? Well I think I had that in November 2009. I was so dizzy and completely drained of energy I could barely lift a fork to eat. I was delirious as well. I remember watching the X-Factor, I went to bed, and the show carried on in my dreams.

The contestants were getting bombed by Nazis from World War II. I woke up and realised all the insanely loud noise was from my parents watching Step Up 2 downstairs.

Wait, what am I on about?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 7:47 pm

Is the vaccine available to you? This year's regular flu vaccine in the United States covers H1N1 in addition to others. I have also had the pneumonia vaccine a few years ago and about 10 years before that. A guy in my old neighborhood died less than a year ago from complications of treating pneumonia. There's an intravenous antibiotic given for pneumonia that causes a severe blood sugar spike, and that's what killed him. Definitely get the vaccines for flu and pneumonia if you are even slightly susceptible to any lung problems. Take it from the Asthma-Hound: 25-40 bucks is not too much to spend on avoiding the pukes and avoiding the need for medicines that can kill you.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 9:08 pm

Nambo wrote:
As for swine flu, dont worry about it, so 50 people have died of it, do you know how many people die each year of ordinary flu?, and they never create a media hype about that.

You wnna know why this is? Nobody gives a s*** anymore. We KNOW that the flu isn't something to panic over anymore. But the media knows that by tacking on an animal to the word "flu," they can get people to panic over what is essentially the exact same thing.

Thank goodness the media is there to inform us of every danger and corruption. They're totally not corrupt themselves.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jan 2011, 12:16 pm

I get a flu shot every year (two last year because the H1N1 bug was a separate vaccine from the standard annual flu vaccine). I also practice common sense; washing hands after touching public objects such as building door handles, credit card buttonpads, or other things that lots of people touch in public. I don't think I'm a "germophobe", as I don't worry about germs beyond just practicing common sense as said. I get a really bad flu bug MAYBE once every 5 or 6 years, and I can usually attribute it to a dumb thing I have done with regard to exposure.

Most cold and flu viruses are transmitted from person to person by contact; not by sneezing and coughing. People are all worried about standing in a line behind a sick person... They hold their breath, and turn the other way, and then they handle the same pen to sign their credit card slip (or whatever), that was handled by the sick person. Then if you happen to touch your face, or itch your eye, etc...., BAM! You just took on their virus.

Charles

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 6:37 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I get a flu shot every year (two last year because the H1N1 bug was a separate vaccine from the standard annual flu vaccine). I also practice common sense; washing hands after touching public objects such as building door handles, credit card buttonpads, or other things that lots of people touch in public.

QFT

FFS, if you're worried about it just get yourself vaccinated. There's been a perfectly safe vaccine for this H1N1 flu for more than a year now.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2011, 6:53 pm

Swine flu isn't really as big of a deal as it was made out to be. In my state, we had two swine flu deaths, but it's very possible that they were not actually swine flu. The rule for doctors was that at any time during the swine flu "epidemic", anything that resembled the flu that caused a death was to be reported as a swine flu death. Why they did that I don't know. Some say convenience, others say it was to drum up more fear to get people to get an unneccessary and unproven vaccine.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 7:26 pm

I don't know about where you live, but the number of influenza admissions to my hospital dropped off sharply once the vaccine came out.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2011, 6:22 pm

LKL wrote:
I don't know about where you live, but the number of influenza admissions to my hospital dropped off sharply once the vaccine came out.

Our hospital admissions were never that big to begin with.