Veteran

26 May 2014, 3:04 pm

How to stop it? It's not healthy.

(not a native speaker)

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 3:26 pm

I'm struggling with that myself. If you can not have tempting items at home, it helps.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 3:38 pm

Go to the store. Buy a lot of fresh vegetables. When you get home, wash them, cut into handy sizes, and put them in the refrigerator in a bag or container that is easy to open. Whenever you feel like massive over-eating, eat the vegies.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 4:03 pm

alpineglow wrote:
Go to the store. Buy a lot of fresh vegetables. When you get home, wash them, cut into handy sizes, and put them in the refrigerator in a bag or container that is easy to open. Whenever you feel like massive over-eating, eat the vegies.

Good point. I do have a lot of veggies :) I'm far from fat, it's just that this behaviour needs to be stopped asap. It's just not good at all.

Good reminder.

(not a native speaker)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 5:25 pm

Lately I've been hitting the sweet snacks more and more. At least you're not overweight, I've been fat for almost my whole life. Sometimes I try buying fresh fruits and vegetables but I only eat them the first day or so and then not touch them and they go bad. I wasn't raised on junk as a kid, my mother always made sure my brother and I had healthy things to eat but he didn't put on weight, he was skinny no matter what and was allowed to eat whatever he wanted and I wasn't and it felt awful. Now I'm 40 and it's going to be harder than ever to get to a healthy weight and back in my 20's I had to really push myself by walking for hours every day and drinking gallons of water until I was ready to barf. I actually was able to lose a lot of weight but I still wasn't happy because my skin was just hanging off me and I was told it would shrink back but it wouldn't, and I was in real terror that every bit of food was going to make me fat again. Eventually I got tired of it and now I'm almost back to looking like a lactating sow. :(

snufkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2014, 6:23 pm

Over-eating usually happens for one of two reasons:

1. You're hungry. Eat better food, like fruits, veggies, natural stuff with a lot of nutrients and fiber etc, avoid carbs, sugars and stuff that just make you bloated instead of full.

2. You're trying to escape from some kind of mental/emotional/sensory issue. In that case, try to figure out what the problem is, and if it can be solved. If not, try to replace the food with some other, more healthy compulsory act.

In the latter case you could even consider it a form of stimming.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 11:03 am

You have to discover WHAT is making you want to eat and address it.

If you just have bad eating habits, you could end it by disciplining yourself to eat very small quantities and WAIT before eating more. Give the body time to register that it has eaten. Most Americans overeat because the eat too fast and are overfed by the time they feel "full."

A good tactic is to drink an 8 to 10-ounce glass of water 10-15 minutes before a meal...perhaps with a few drops of lemon juice for flavor. It puts something in the stomach (so you feel fuller) and gives some taste to make you feel refreshed.

If it's an emotional issue, you have to confront the issue and realize that food IS NOT giving you what you really want for dealing with that issue.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 11:34 am

I did very well today! I snacked delicious strawberries and the hardest part, the stores, were only slightly problematic. I just said to myself ''that stuff only makes you miserable and it's not so good anyway''. Instead, I bought fruit/veggies as snacks. It feels good having done well and having broken the habit. Now I need to maintain it for a couple of days to get a better 'routine'. Posting this motivates.

It's sometimes that I either get addicted to certain foods, which I hate, as it makes my body scream for it and I hate having such strong cravings. I usually manage to cut that off eventually as it's really frustrating and annoying. Then there're periods -such as this- where I have strange compulsive behaviour but it doesn't feel like the ''addiction'' (if it is one) but more like a compulsion. Really strange. What snufkin mentions definitely plays a part; if I'm over-stimulated I tend to overeat. Not sure why, but putting something in my stomach/body, be it food or water, makes me feel 'myself' better again, as if it reconnects me to myself.

@ zer0netgain: very good point that I need to remember. I realised it myself this week, that food doesn't help anything at all, whatever is causing it: it doesn't go away by giving into it and it doesn't actually make me happy.

I need to keep thinking of this thread and perhaps keep posting for a while to get myself re-wired. It feels very good and rewarding to have done so well though, and to have only gotten myself nice and healthy foods for tomorrow. (STRAWBERRIES!)

lostonearth35 wrote:
Lately I've been hitting the sweet snacks more and more. At least you're not overweight, I've been fat for almost my whole life. Sometimes I try buying fresh fruits and vegetables but I only eat them the first day or so and then not touch them and they go bad. I wasn't raised on junk as a kid, my mother always made sure my brother and I had healthy things to eat but he didn't put on weight, he was skinny no matter what and was allowed to eat whatever he wanted and I wasn't and it felt awful. Now I'm 40 and it's going to be harder than ever to get to a healthy weight and back in my 20's I had to really push myself by walking for hours every day and drinking gallons of water until I was ready to barf. I actually was able to lose a lot of weight but I still wasn't happy because my skin was just hanging off me and I was told it would shrink back but it wouldn't, and I was in real terror that every bit of food was going to make me fat again. Eventually I got tired of it and now I'm almost back to looking like a lactating sow. :(

It saddens me when people talk and feel about their body like that :( Isn't there any way to motivate you? Do you move or work out? It's not just weight loss that's good for you, but also the endorfine and the muscle growth. It makes your endurance better and you become stronger, which is in its own way rewarding. I just hope you manage to find a way to feel better in your skin, you deserve it.

(not a native speaker)

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 8:23 am

aaaaand another good day :) :thumleft:

(not a native speaker)

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 3:54 pm

I slipped up today :( But stopping was way easier than before. I promise myself to do better tomorrow!

(not a native speaker)

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 6:48 pm

One thing I find when I do this myself, is that I'm often anxious beforehand. It's like the activity of eating 'dissipates' the anxiety that I feel, giving it a sort of outlet. If I still lived with my parents, I'd actually be dissipating this energy by walking around outside or doing short sprints in the yard, but in the neighborhood I'm in I don't feel relaxed enough to do it (the presence of so many people makes me uneasy) so unfortunately I turn to sugary candy and salty chips instead.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 4:51 pm

Did okay.

Quote:
One thing I find when I do this myself, is that I'm often anxious beforehand. It's like the activity of eating 'dissipates' the anxiety that I feel, giving it a sort of outlet. If I still lived with my parents, I'd actually be dissipating this energy by walking around outside or doing short sprints in the yard, but in the neighborhood I'm in I don't feel relaxed enough to do it (the presence of so many people makes me uneasy) so unfortunately I turn to sugary candy and salty chips instead.

Hmmz, and how about carrots or fruits?

(not a native speaker)

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 5:56 pm

Did rather well 8)

(not a native speaker)

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 8:48 pm