Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

I understand the need to be healthy. Furthermore I am a severe asthmatic, so being fit and not 200 pounds, would be nice but I have a few problems.

I hate to sweat.

I only eat certain things.

Not interested in sports

I panic in public so gyms are usually out.

How much compromise is good? I would go walking, but the heat in the south right now is horrid. its either humid, super hot or raining i cant be in either condition due to health and allergies. I am a bit of a picky eater. I prefer dry crunchy food. Sports bore me to tears other than wii golf and i hate crowds.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:51 pm

Hate to sweat? No problem. Work out, get your sweat on for a short amount of time, finish up, then shower, dry off, change clothes... Walla you are now sweat free and clean.

You like dry and crunchy things? I can think of a bunch of crunchy vegetables and fruit, although they have some water in them... I can't think of many dry crunchy and healthy things off the top of my head though... Maybe Granola, low on the sugar, or none at all?... My advice would be to try and expand your horizons. Try new food that have different textures with an open mind, but look for healthy dry and crunchy foods too. Actually, there are a lot of dehydrated fruits that are healthy, maybe you would like that? Maybe even add something crunchy in a not so crunchy meal so you feel more "at home".

Sports are not required to lose weight or be healthy. Ever try dance dance revolution? That's one of those interactive dance games I believe is on the WII, lots of overweight people have had huge success losing weight and getting in shape by using it.

If you have a schedule that allows you to stay up late, or wake up early you could go to a gym that is open 24 hours a day, late at night or very early in the morning when there are less people around. You may even get the whole area to yourself, who knows. Walking or running in the early morning outside may also be a good idea.

It sounds like you may need a big change in life to get in shape and be healthy. It absolutely can be done, but it will probably be quite a challenge.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 6:15 pm

Change really freaks me out a bit. I do not HAVE a routine I have to do everyday but when the day starts, I have a plan for the day and get annoyed if it changes.

I like carrots and celery and broccoli, but its hard to afford to eat like that all the time. I do like granola, but I am a little obsessed with chips. I can't afford a gym right now, but probably going on walks early would be OK, if it isnt raining.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 6:29 pm

You can get freeze-dried crunchy fruits and veggies, but they are a little expensive. Wrt. exercise, do you have a schedule that would allow you to go for walks either very early in the morning or very late at night when it's cooler?

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

I do but my roommates would not and I think it would be unsafe, since we got a warning in the mail that a two times convicted sex offender moved into our trailer park. I think the thing said 2 degree sexual assault or whatnot.

I think Ill ask for a gym membership for Christmas =D

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 7:54 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
I do but my roommates would not and I think it would be unsafe, since we got a warning in the mail that a two times convicted sex offender moved into our trailer park. I think the thing said 2 degree sexual assault or whatnot.

I think Ill ask for a gym membership for Christmas =D
Maybe someone on craigslist is selling a treadmill or indoor bike for cheap??

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 10:18 pm

Thats not a bad idea. My roomate wants to go to the gym too eventually I am gonna talk to her about partnering.

Voyageress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2012, 1:15 pm

Go swimming - no sweat and no strain on joints.

Not sure where you can do it at your end of the world, but open water swimming is getting v. popular in the UK. Check out my local lake: http://www.sheppertonopenwaterswim.co.uk

Plus, there's a fab website that gives all the lowdown on what's involved: http://www.h2openmagazine.com

Enjoy!

Vx

conan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 5:08 pm

Voyageress wrote:
Go swimming - no sweat and no strain on joints.

Not sure where you can do it at your end of the world, but open water swimming is getting v. popular in the UK. Check out my local lake: http://www.sheppertonopenwaterswim.co.uk

Plus, there's a fab website that gives all the lowdown on what's involved: http://www.h2openmagazine.com

Enjoy!

Vx

definitely