Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 1:09 pm

Boxing and football are like two of my major obsessions I guess. Mainly because they were the two sports I was actuallly good at.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2008, 6:52 pm

Yeah I love boxing and MMA. I boxed as an amateur for about 7 years and now I train in Muay Thai and MMA. I still love boxing and watch it as often as I can. Great sport.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2008, 7:44 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Boxing and football are like two of my major obsessions I guess. Mainly because they were the two sports I was actuallly good at.

I can relate to this, though I've always been considerably better at boxing than football. I, too, boxed as an amateur and was always a bit puzzled as to why boxing was my best sport. I am better at it than at most team sports, and even other individual sports like racquet sports, swimming, and running.

Boxing is a blast. There's nothing quite like that feeling of getting your hand raised at the end of a match that you've just won. :)

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2008, 8:13 pm

Wow, I was begening to think I was alone on here.

Yeah, there is nothing like boxing.

BTW, what are some recent fights you saw or upcoming fights you want to see?

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 12:04 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Wow, I was begening to think I was alone on here.

No way. You're not alone. I know you're talking about boxing as a spectator sport, too, but it seems there are at least a few of us Aspie boxers here at WrongPlanet. :)

Quote:
Yeah, there is nothing like boxing.

Indeed. I've been boxing on and off since I was a boy, and it's great. I've learned some great lessons from the sport, too, that help me in many areas of my life.

Quote:
BTW, what are some recent fights you saw or upcoming fights you want to see?

OK, I saw Roy Jones, Jr. vs. Felix Trinidad, Jr. I disagree with the critics who were lamenting how "awful" the fight was. Was it the best boxing match I've ever seen? No. However, having been in the ring plenty of times myself, I am reticent to criticize two world class boxers who seemed to be giving it their all, at least to me.

I'm looking forward to Kelly Pavlik vs. Jermain Taylor. That comes up on February 16 and it looks to be a good contest. Got any thoughts about it?

Steve
--

Last edited by regularguy on 23 Jan 2008, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 9:10 am

I'm actually a boxer as well...well now more just for fitness then compition. But I was in the amatuars for a while. Had I not shattered my elbow in high school football, I'd probably still be doing it. lol

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 10:21 am

Hi GrantZilla,

Sure, I understood that you're a boxer as well. I inferred that from your opening comment about how football and boxing were the two sports you were good at. I was just saying that there are a few of us here at Wrong Planet. Also, boxing is my best sport, with football coming in second as far as my abilities go.

Sorry to learn of your elbow injury. Ouch, I feel for you. It's great that you can still box. It's such an awesome sport for overall fitness.

I, too, boxed in the amateurs. That has been great fun for me. I met some really great people in the sport. These days, I am also doing it mostly for fitness, although I will still sometimes box in the occasional charitable event. (One of my coaches is hoping to host a fund-raising event featuring doctors against lawyers. That could be fun, especially since one of the docs has already challenged me. :lol: )

I also still put the gloves on with some buddies for competitive, but very informal, bouts. It's still a blast. (Yeah, the boy is still alive and well in this grown man!)

Are you training at a gym now, or do you work out on your own?

Steve
--

Space
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2008, 1:59 pm

I love boxing, muay thai kickboxing and K-1. MMA is cool too. I have been training muay thai for about 1.5 yrs now, and it is a lot of fun. I love boxing because it is such a tough sport. You fight 12 rounds and take the most shots to the head of any fight sport. Also, I just started watching "the contender asia" yesterday, which is basically the contender but for thai boxing. It's amazing, you guys should watch it!

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 6:43 pm

Regularguy I train at the gym but mostly in my garage using the heavy and speed bag. It's a great way for me to vent frusteration that I build up somtimes throughout the day.

Because of the injurry, I switched my style from orthodox to southpaw so that my good arm was my jabbing arm.

Now I can switch between the styles, so that's kind of cool. I use to hate boxing southpaws.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2008, 11:09 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
I use to hate boxing southpaws.

Hah! I still do. :P

I'm glad that you were able to adapt your style to compensate for your injury. I'm even more glad I don't have to face you in the ring! :lol:

Steve
--

GrantZilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2008, 3:42 am

What weight do you fight at regularguy if you don't mind me asking?

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2008, 7:50 am

Space wrote:
I love boxing, muay thai kickboxing and K-1. MMA is cool too. I have been training muay thai for about 1.5 yrs now, and it is a lot of fun. I love boxing because it is such a tough sport. You fight 12 rounds and take the most shots to the head of any fight sport. Also, I just started watching "the contender asia" yesterday, which is basically the contender but for thai boxing. It's amazing, you guys should watch it!

Yeah I am watching it. It's a lot better than I expected. Less of the cheesiness of the original Contender. That sometimes got a bit overbearing. Don't want to ruin it for anyone but the level of sportmanship shown in the match of the first episode is exemplary.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 1:59 pm

aries wrote:
Space wrote:

Yeah I am watching it. It's a lot better than I expected. Less of the cheesiness of the original Contender. That sometimes got a bit overbearing. Don't want to ruin it for anyone but the level of sportmanship shown in the match of the first episode is exemplary.

yeah, professional thai-boxers tend to show a lot more respect than western-style boxers. I think part of it is because they don't make $10 million per fight and thus aren't so arrogant and flamboyant.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2008, 12:04 am

GrantZilla wrote:
What weight do you fight at regularguy if you don't mind me asking?

I weigh about 195 lb., so that puts me in the 201 lb. class for amateurs.

I used to box at 178, but when I started lifting weights regularly to add muscle, making weight at 178 became impossible without extreme measures, and I'm not willing to put myself through that kind of abuse. :)

Steve
--

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2008, 12:20 am

aries wrote:
Don't want to ruin it for anyone but the level of sportmanship shown in the match of the first episode is exemplary.

Hey, that's really great. Knowing that the sportsmanship is exemplary really gladdens my heart. There's no reason that boxers, Muay Thai practitioners, MMA fighters, or participants in any other combat sport have to be a*******! I resent the behaviors of the thug element that tend to give our sports a bad name.

Steve
--

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 9:52 am

Space wrote:
yeah, professional thai-boxers tend to show a lot more respect than western-style boxers. I think part of it is because they don't make $10 million per fight and thus aren't so arrogant and flamboyant.

politeness and respect also is a very core aspect of thai culture - much more than it is in the western world.
i recently saw a documentary on a swiss guy who opened a foster home for alzheimer seniors in thailand. of course, one part of its good service is that you can actually afford to have one personal nurse for every patient, but the way these girls cared for the elderly was very much non-businesslike. they seemed to genuinely care for them, making sure they dont feel left out or set aside.
the opinion these girls displayed was one of being rather proud to have a job that is so laden with a cardinal virtue.