Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lilyspetal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2008, 2:41 pm

Hello! Does anyone have any recommendations for diet? Do you find yourself not able to tolerate certain foods? I'm thinking that I am either high functioning Autistic or Asperger's and recently I removed gluten/casein from my diet and noticed a remarkable improvement, in fact, I've consumed those foods my entire lifetime and have always been tired on a daily basis, displayed lack of energy, depressed, highly anxious and since removing these foods I notice better moods, I have the ability to look people in the ey when I talk to them.... just wondering here what you eat and what you find helps you. I heard about Leaky Gut Syndrome and it's possible ties to Autism, does anyone have any ideas on the topic, what do you find yourself consuming on a daily basis? Are there certain vitamins, supplements, probiotics you've taken which you find you've benefited from?

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 2:25 am

lower your sugar intake, especially high fructose corn syrup. It drags your body down a lot. Lots of whole grains and few of white flower, rice or pasta. The white stuff looks nice, but it is harder to digest. I swear it makes a difference. I find that after a few weeks of very little sugar, more fruit, grains and yogurt, i feel sick and run down after a sweet, salty. starchy bender. Keep in mind, ya gotta give yourself an occasional indulgence, of course.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 2:49 pm

I have an obsession about eating 5 portions of fruit and veg per day (as recommended by doctors!), but find that its probably a good obsession to have as I have healthy hair and skin and dont get sick that often. I even try to make sure that they are all different colours, although not too strict with that one as purple things are rather rare.

Apart from that my diet is generally quite healthy, although with quite a lot of sugar (esp chocolate) and starches. I think I am low on eating protein and healthy oils though, which could contribute to symptoms such as depression (I am now taking fish oil every day as this is supposed to provide the basis for certain brain chemicals and help with brain functioning including preventing depression).

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 10:36 pm

I love fruit. all different kinds. Fruit is great, it helps to stabilize my blood sugars and keeps things going. My favorite is pineapple.... i could eat it until my lips burn off. Its so acidic, but so tasty and juicy. that, and late summer watermelon. mmmm.
I find that most of the vegetables i eat are either baked, or raw. I dont really need much seasoning either. I just like to be able to taste the complexities of cabbage. slightly sweet, squeaky when raw, and done a terrible disservice when overcooked. or sweet potato baked with butter and salt... tasty.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 1:05 am

Not loading up on carbs, white rice or bread, or pasta, they are the worse offenders in the north american diet, I find my blood sugar levels drop to much if I cut them out completely, since I am a type 2 diabetic, I follow what is called the GI or Glycemic Index diet, which is a ranking system for carbohydrates based on their effect on blood glucose levels, I might try removing gluten and casein from my diet also, to see if or how it will affect me, I have also cut out diet pop because of the aspertame, and I drink lots of chinese green tea, almost 3 liters a day

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 1:22 am

well, im lactose intolerant, but that really isnt much of a deal anymore... basically everything is available in a version sans lactose.

other than that, i heavily listen to my intuition, regarding food. i love meat, but every so often i have phases when i dont feel like eating much of it - so i eat less of it. at times, i feel like going all-out, multiple warm meals per day, sometimes i basically fast (without a big plan to it..).
although that diet involves a quite above average dosis of chocolate (i LOVE chocolate!), i feel very well with it. the only thing it does is raise some strange looks from people when i have some intense hunger attacks for something very specific. if i was a girl, i guess people would think me being pregnant all the time. :D

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2008, 6:35 pm

I've also discovered I am lactose intolerant which is a shame because I love milk and dairy produce in general. I don't drink soya milk, even though it tastes pretty good these days, because it mimics the female hormone oestrogen.

I generally try and avoid high GI foods. I'm very sugar sensitive and have a sweet tooth as is common. I know I should avoid caffeine, cakes and sweets (mainly chocolate) entirely but I don't. My blood sugar levels go up and down like a yo yo and it really effects my mood to big degree. Sweet potatoes, brown rice, basmati rice, oatmeal and pita bread are my preferred source of carbohydrates. My diet is fairly high in protein. Casein from cottage cheese, chicken, tuna steaks, salmon, lean pork and lean mince. Lots of pulses, mainly beans.

I try and supplement fish oil into my diet. A tablespoon of cod liver oil before I go to bed. I put fructose in my coffee as that is lower GI than sucrose. I love hot spicy food and eat a fair amount of chilli. This has been shown to increase your metabolic rate. I also eat a lot of garlic. My meals I try and space out throughout the day, ideally every 3 hours.

Oh and I eat an apple and an orange a day and have some sort of green vegatable with most meals. Though this ends up being mostly broccoli lol.