Can eating spicy things hurt you in any way?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:09 pm

On the other hand, the benefit is that people leave you alone until after you brush your teeth. Unless they start bugging you to brush your teeth. :D

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:19 pm

Adding spices to food is much better then adding salt, I don't think spices are bad at all.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:38 pm

katrine wrote:
Chilli does kill off your tastebuds, but is also used in some kinds of medicines, so it isn't unhealthy per se. (Don't worry, the tastebuds come back, but this explains why people who eat chilli every day can eat much more spicy food)
Chilli can cause local irritation, of course. Runny noses are also quite normal ... enjoyable, even!!
You can calmly eat chilli, if you enjoy it.

QFT. It's only bad if you have an ulcer. Otherwise chilli is rather healthy, as are spices.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 3:12 pm

capsicum is so closely related to vanillin that it's off by only a molecule or two. It's like the relationship between chimps and humans.

Peppers evolved their heat so animals wouldn't eat them but someone, somewhere (probably on a dare) ate one and felt that burn but thought it was manageable.

Capsicum is used in medicines both external and internal but don't put pure capsicum on your tongue unless you want all taste receptors to die a horrible death. You could also get something called contact dermatitis on your tongue which can't be pleasant.

Botanically speaking, we're not really meant to eat peppers. Culinarily speaking, they're yummy.

A good way to put out the fire you get when you eat peppers is to drink some whole milk, swish slightly and spit it out. It might take a few times to work with extreme peppers like a scotch bonnet or habanero.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 5:43 am

I certainly hope they're not harmful; I love spicy food.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:12 am

Chili calms me. There is something in chili powder that does it.
My wife told me, twice and I don't remember what it is.
But I remember she told me twice. Go figure.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:14 am

It can't be that dangerous, Asians eat tons of curries and they all look very well on it :D

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:19 am

Besides the mouth pain, spicy foods can cause or worsen mouth sores, cause acid reflux, lead to or worsen ulcers, cause "hot" farts and craps, and cause acute runny nose and crying. I'm willing to bet spicy foods are only dangerous though if consumed in large quantities over a long period of time. Otherwise i wouldn't worry.