Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2016, 5:56 pm

However, it's complicated. I have intrusive thoughts, but I might just be reacting to them too strongly.

My rituals are weird... For example, I have to have an odd number of tabs open when I browse the web. I do not get afraid when I find that it's an even number, though, I just fix it and move on. I don't go online unless the door is shut and the lights are off in my room and the hallway, but I don't get too bothered when one suddenly turns on. I don't really think anything bad's going to happen.

When I listen to a certain song, I almost always go back to the lyric video at a certain point in the song, when I forget, I'm a bit peeved and stim a little, but I'm not afraid, really.

EnTiTyZ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2016, 3:53 am

Sounds more like a routine/ritual, if it's not causing you any anxiety or discomfort i doubt it would be classed as a diagnosis for ocd always best to see a mental health professional to make sure.

The above is just an opinion based on my ocd and how it effects me i'm not a medical professional!

Aharonov
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2016, 4:32 am

I usually have two tabs open at any time, as it's my feel good number. Although I can have much more as I do right now (7) an uneven number. I was diagnosed with moderate to severe OCD over twenty years ago and have learned to adapt and overcome certain issues although I still wash my hands upwards of thirty times a day and am still very much bothered by germs but I no longer scrub until my hands bleed or have to wear gloves / masks in public.

I learned a long time ago not to attempt to fight the urges while instead just go with the flow as it makes life much easier. The only thing I occasionally get hung up on is when I buy something and it's total is an uneven number, I'll typically get two or more to ensure it comes out to even numbers.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 4:53 am

Me ex bf used to only want even numbers when he changed the tv volume. If i changed it and forgot, he would quickly remind me! I think a lot of people have or do things like that, take comfort from order, even if it has no real logical benefit, or the insistence upon the order seems to outweigh the benefit of it being ordered.
Another friend, has to have her filter tips ordered in a certain way in the pack when smoking. There is small actual benefit to this order of hers, but her insistence on the order seems to be greater than the need for it.
As someone said in an above post so long as it doesn't infringe you life or happiness, it doesn't matter. If you are a thinker, you might dwell on why you do it, or react strongly, as you put it, if you are not, like my ex with the controls, its just one of those little things of no significance.
I have obsessive compulsive thoughts, and they infringe on my living. I'm working on understanding and reducing the thoughts, and feel like i am making a bit of progress :)

There is Only One You
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2016, 10:06 am

I can't stand when people have like 20 tabs open.. For example my brother, has like 50 tabs open on his computer. I am just like!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 10:10 am

Odd numbers are cool. Primes are even better!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Astro77
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2016, 3:50 am

InsomniaGrl wrote:
Me ex bf used to only want even numbers when he changed the tv volume. If i changed it and forgot, he would quickly remind me! I think a lot of people have or do things like that, take comfort from order, even if it has no real logical benefit, or the insistence upon the order seems to outweigh the benefit of it being ordered.
Another friend, has to have her filter tips ordered in a certain way in the pack when smoking. There is small actual benefit to this order of hers, but her insistence on the order seems to be greater than the need for it.
As someone said in an above post so long as it doesn't infringe you life or happiness, it doesn't matter. If you are a thinker, you might dwell on why you do it, or react strongly, as you put it, if you are not, like my ex with the controls, its just one of those little things of no significance.
I have obsessive compulsive thoughts, and they infringe on my living. I'm working on understanding and reducing the thoughts, and feel like i am making a bit of progress :)

I do those things. Volume and thermostat have to be even numbers. If I have cash in my wallet then it's arranged from smallest to largest, all facing the same way. It doesn't really bother me if things aren't a certain way, but I do find it stimming to fix.

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2016, 4:09 pm

Others are:

* I brush my teeth before I put on my makeup, even if it makes sense to put on my makeup first.

* I have a specific order of makeup that I put on, for no particular reason.

* When I set down a glass, I clang it in multiples of three each time.

* I can't have the bedroom lights on while I'm doing something electronic, even when I can't see my keyboard easily at all that way.

* I only surf the web if the music I'm listening to isn't a music video.

I don't know if these are normal or what... When they've been violated, I just change them.

I have an Asperger's diagnosis with these things I believe being "rituals" in the diagnosis... I read somewhere that an Autistic reacts to not completing a ritual with disappointment. I compared the feeling of these violations with, say, not going to a restaurant I wanted to go to and found that they felt similar... Yet I don't know if these are "routine" enough to be Autistic.

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 4:32 pm

CryingTears15 wrote:
Others are:

* I brush my teeth before I put on my makeup, even if it makes sense to put on my makeup first.

* I can't have the bedroom lights on while I'm doing something electronic, even when I can't see my keyboard easily at all that way.

I don't know if these are normal or what... When they've been violated, I just change them.

I have an Asperger's diagnosis with these things I believe being "rituals" in the diagnosis... I read somewhere that an Autistic reacts to not completing a ritual with disappointment. I compared the feeling of these violations with, say, not going to a restaurant I wanted to go to and found that they felt similar... Yet I don't know if these are "routine" enough to be Autistic.

They say at the heart of the type of OCD a person exhibits is the thing they are least likely to be, and subsequently most afraid. Like if someone has obsessive thoughts about hurting a child for example, its because they are least likely to do it, and care greatly abut a child's safety. So any thought that they could hurt a child can become obsessive, paradoxically.
I have obsessive thoughts about not knowing what i am doing, or not caring enough, but actually i am quite the opposite. I assume its much the same for obsessive actions, being rooted in thing we are afraid of happening but that are actually least likely to happen by our hand.

EnTiTyZ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2016, 6:55 am

InsomniaGrl wrote:
CryingTears15 wrote:
Others are:

They say at the heart of the type of OCD a person exhibits is the thing they are least likely to be, and subsequently most afraid. Like if someone has obsessive thoughts about hurting a child for example, its because they are least likely to do it, and care greatly abut a child's safety. So any thought that they could hurt a child can become obsessive, paradoxically.
I have obsessive thoughts about not knowing what i am doing, or not caring enough, but actually i am quite the opposite. I assume its much the same for obsessive actions, being rooted in thing we are afraid of happening but that are actually least likely to happen by our hand.

yes that described Ocd perfectly in harm Ocd or pure O it's the opposite to the persons beliefs it becomes intrusive
thoughts the action/compulsive part, would then be to avoid situations just incase they carry out actions based on the thoughts, or ask if people if they had done something even if evidence proves not, thought checking.

Like to call it the rationality of the irrational <----asymmetrical

I love symmetry and order ocd is an asymmetrical thought process asymmetry causes me discomfort if that makes sense ocd is anxiety based.

Some people have these thoughts and just ignore them someone with ocd cannot at that point it's classed as a disorder.

CryingTears15 wrote:
Others are:

you may be just over thinking routines, which all people have you can be obssesive with routines, but that does not make it Ocd it has to cause anxiety no anxiety no self checking no Ocd.

One thing i can add, everyone reacts differently the quote "you have met one person with autism you have only met one person with autism" were all different it should quote "you have met one person you have met one person"
were all different.

i struggled with the diagnoses i was given because at no time were each one explained separately, the first thing i asked were to separate them for me, so i could fix them I was ignored still trying to work it all out as different traits blend together it's hard to separate or label a behaviour/trait to a specific disorder it's all learned anyway.

broombie
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2016, 12:38 pm

I think only a psychiatrist can figure out if it is OCD. My psychiatrist said I have OCD, although I think it might be PANDAS. I have medication, and I notice that my urge for revenge or ruminating (or perseverating) on what I should have said has been calmed down. I still do it, but not like before. I don't dwell on it and I don't feel emotional about it.

However, I do write a to-do list the night before. I number it and cross off items as I do them. I get up at 6 am every day, even on weekends. At 7:00 pm, I start to transfer undone tasks to the next day. I try, most of the time unsuccessfully, to be in bed by 10 pm. I don't like it when I am interrupted or thrown off task by someone trying to talk to me or by the phone. Thank goodness for caller ID! The phone seems to ring every 10 minutes. If they don't leave a message, I ignore the calls. I don't take most of my calls. I watch about an hour of Netflix every night. The shows I mainly watch are documentaries or science shows. I write in journal every night. And there are other things I do. If I am interrupted, it bothers me. I guess I am not very spontaneous. I used to have other rituals, but I have dropped them with no discomfort.

This might even be described as "Aspie like" behavior. However, I have goals I want to accomplish, and if I don't work on them every day, they won't get done. I spend 15 minutes on each item on the list. Some people don't think I'm making enough progress, but then I tell them that if they are not satisfied with my progress, they are invited to do the tasks themselves. I try not to take on other people's stuff if they are capable of doing it themselves. I can become swamped and overwhelmed very easily, and that brings on the anxiety.